Has anyone ever been really hassled at the range?

2nd Amendment and Freedom

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

zakk
Silent But Deadly

Has anyone ever been really hassled at the range?

Post by zakk »

The paper work thread got me thinking of this, Have any of you guys ever had a private citizen insist you were breaking some law with an NFA Item? I know a lot of people are unaware and accept it once its been explained to them but I can see some know it all at the range flipping his lid and calling cops and god knows who else. Just curious.
DesertRat
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Has anyone ever been really hassled at the range?

Post by DesertRat »

Never.
Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.
Give a man a bank and he can rob the entire world.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Never.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
zakk
Silent But Deadly

Post by zakk »

Those threads are what got me thinking, there's one range near me that is known for the old guys giving people problems over ARs and AKs and trying to keep them off of the range. Your not even allowed to have a round in the magazine on the rifle range, have to load em all one at a time. I could only Imagine what they would do with a can or SBR. I guess this is kind of an over done topic, sorry for that.
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

I once saw a guy at a WA range catch crap when he brought out his AOW Serbu Super Shorty. Another range user insisted it was an SBS and said they were illegal. The idiot was wrong twice. A smooth bore pistol is not an SBS, and SBS are legal in WA if they were registered there prior to the 1994 ban.

Ranb
SilencerTalk was a place I could disccuss making registered silencers without being told I was a criminal. That is no longer true. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=99273
Remy1492
Silent Operator

Post by Remy1492 »

Had some old timer, shotgun loving, range master guys tell me AK-47s are ILLEGAL to own, and that I shouldnt be shooting it.
(was sighting it in, 1 shot per 3 min about, not going apeSh*t full auto).

I ignored him, and he pretended to "let me off this once" after I insisted I'd take a refund on my range fees. This, from the range I build the webpage for, for free. Gotta love em.
C-130E/H-1
zakk
Silent But Deadly

Post by zakk »

Ignorance never fails to amaze me.
kimbershot
Silent Operator

Post by kimbershot »

i shoot at metacon in simsbury, ct. they have class 3 shooters just about every time i go there. the guys have let me, my son and his friend shoot hk-21's, uzi's and m/16's. others have just about every other configuration of machine gun that you can think of blasting away.

i use reactive metal targets for my 1911's and have traded rounds with other members (local police officers) who have let us try out their tricked out m/16 service rifles in exchange for popping my targets. nothing anal here. :D
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

Never. I don't let it happen. I pack up my stuff and do something else. People can be very annoying.

However, I've been hassled by range nazis for other things. One time a guy said over and over that the range doesn't allow firing prone. My Father was with me and he forced me to fire from a bench like all the fudds do so that the guy would shut up. It was very frustrating.
Veritas
Silent But Deadly

Post by Veritas »

I hate going to ranges, even when I take a regular gun the "range masters" still hassle me. I put 2 handguns in a "2-HANDGUN" case and catch s--t for it. I swear it is there job to judge others who shoot there, they are on such high horses...I have not been to a range in over a year, I refuse to have somebody tell me what I can not do, after I pay them.

It is sad, so few places to go, I typically go out to the national forest, beautiful! :D
Speed-Racer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Speed-Racer »

Going to the public range for me, is always a hassle at some level.....Then I joined a private range, WOW I love that place most times I go twice during the week. There are two rim fire/ pistol ranges of varying distance with 8-12 lanes. 2 high-power rifle ranges 10 lanes each, one skeet and trap range (another being built by the members) a clays shotgun range with shotgun pattern backboard. Usually, there's less than six people on the grounds $70 a year + one time orientation fee you get your keys.
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:

...Jesus Christ and the American G. I.

...One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.
Veritas
Silent But Deadly

Post by Veritas »

Speed-Racer wrote: $70 a year + one time orientation fee you get your keys.
You lucky SOB, that is killer! The ones by me charge by the hour!!
Bugzy
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bugzy »

Never... where I shoot, if you don't have a nfa item, your not part of the "IN" crowd yet. 8)
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Been hassled several times about my NFA. All the times were in Northern Virginia and all the guys that harrassed me were from Quantico...all newbies at the FBI Academy.

One cadet tried to detain me and sieze the weapon as he got the Sheriff on the phone, after he told them my name he was promptly told that he was a f'ng Idiot and to put his dick back in his pants. Guess it kinda helped me that I had just dropped off another F1 with that Sheriff at the beginning of the week and he recognized the name.....

I didn't have any forms with me to fend off the newbie, I now carry my forms with me.

That guy was banned by name from that range(till it burned down), as he was bothering the other customers and they didn't approve of his actions.

As far as private citizen, a friend of mine a few years ago had the police called on him at the range when he was shooting his MP5, guy called the cops and left the range, then reentered the range with several officers, pointed my friend out and the questioning began. Long story short he was legit and had an opportunity to explain to the accuser about NFA and now that guy owns a 1919! Sweet victory! Again this was in Northern Virginia.

-B
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

Bendersquint wrote:Been hassled several times about my NFA. All the times were in Northern Virginia and all the guys that harrassed me were from Quantico...all newbies at the FBI Academy.

One cadet tried to detain me and sieze the weapon as he got the Sheriff on the phone, after he told them my name he was promptly told that he was a f'ng Idiot and to put his dick back in his pants. Guess it kinda helped me that I had just dropped off another F1 with that Sheriff at the beginning of the week and he recognized the name.....

I didn't have any forms with me to fend off the newbie, I now carry my forms with me.

That guy was banned by name from that range(till it burned down), as he was bothering the other customers and they didn't approve of his actions.

As far as private citizen, a friend of mine a few years ago had the police called on him at the range when he was shooting his MP5, guy called the cops and left the range, then reentered the range with several officers, pointed my friend out and the questioning began. Long story short he was legit and had an opportunity to explain to the accuser about NFA and now that guy owns a 1919! Sweet victory! Again this was in Northern Virginia.

-B
Haha, you live in a free state and still managed to get hassled by some jerk probably from somewhere that I've lived. There is justice in the world! Just screwing with you.
GoingQuiet
Silent But Deadly

Post by GoingQuiet »

Actual conversation at the gun show yesterday.

Man walks up, PULLS OUT A TAPE MEASURE AND MEASURES MY BENELLI ON THE TABLE.

"How long is the barrel of that shotgun?"
"14.5 inches"
"You have a license for that?"
"Nope.
"You gonna get a license for that?"
"Nope"

He shook his head and walked away.

My response: If you're going to ask me a question you already know the answer to in order to give me a hard time - I'll have some fun with it.
GoingQuiet.com
07 FFL / 02 SOT
Melbourne, FL
NFA Sales & Transfers, Silencerco Stocking Distributor, AAC, SigSauer, Gemtech, Rock River Arms Stocking Dealer
[email protected]
Droog
Silent Operator

Post by Droog »

I belong to a gun club that has 3 different ranges out side and a huge club house with in door pistol range and the best the club pres. just elected sheriff! :lol:
brought to you live and direct from the fun and sun capitol of the upper midwest Minot n.Dak.
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

I've never been hassled, but have been asked several times about how you "get the license".
The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground.
Thomas Jefferson

USPSA FY60903...B-class SS, B-class L10, B-class Prod.
IDPA A30195...Expert CDP, Master SSP
libertyman777
Silent But Deadly

Post by libertyman777 »

Ben B. wrote:I've never been hassled, but have been asked several times about how you "get the license".
Yep, it's been all curiosity for me as well. Many folks not knowing you can own a suppressor but I keep a copy of my tax stamp and try to educate the masses.
Remember............ You're Special, Unique, One of a Kind.............Just like everyone else.................
tad
Silent Operator

Post by tad »

no, mostly folks here tell me they didnt know it was legal,and they want to try them out.
watcher
Senior Silent Operator

Post by watcher »

The range I use is LE only including the A to Z of the alphabet organizations (don't ask how that happens- you would have to buy me a lot of beer to get me to talk). I have never been asked for "the papers" - strange isn't it. Probably because these guys are professionals and have a better knowledge of the regulations. Usually any interest is only in the performance of the firearm combo. It's great to bring out the the carbine and screw on the suppressor and nobody cares a toss.
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

watcher wrote:The range I use is LE only including the A to Z of the alphabet organizations (don't ask how that happens- you would have to buy me a lot of beer to get me to talk). I have never been asked for "the papers" - strange isn't it. Probably because these guys are professionals and have a better knowledge of the regulations. Usually any interest is only in the performance of the firearm combo. It's great to bring out the the carbine and screw on the suppressor and nobody cares a toss.
And why would anyone care at a "LE ONLY" range. Is one LEO going to come over to yourself, another LEO and harass you?
Casper
Silent But Deadly

Post by Casper »

Yup, just last weekend I got hassled. I've been going to the same range for more than a year now with my suppressed MKIII, never had anything more than curious onlookers and a few folks that asked to shoot it. All good times.

This past weekend I was just plinking and the guy in the next lane asked if he could put a few rounds down range. I gladdy obliged and passed him the weapon, muzzle down, action open, unloaded. He starts plinking away and I get a tap on the shoulder, turn around and there is the range master asking me what I think I am doing? To which I stare back dumbly, I have no idea why this guy is on me. He explains that having an uncased firearm behind the line is grounds for a lifetime ban from the range. A good rule, but one that I had never seen enforced for such a minor infraction. So I am in the wrong, I apologize and explain my actions, just one lane etc.

I am guessing I didn't grovel well enough, so I get a 2 minute lecture about how that kind of thing could kill everyone in the range. I responded with a you must be kidding look. Maybe not my best moment, but I don't take well to being lectured, state your point and move on.

At this point I've pissed him off and he asks if I am legal to own a silencer. I respond that I am. He asks if I am a class 3. I explain that no I am not but I do have a Form 4 allowing me to own a suppressor. He asks to see it and I hand him a copy of my F4. He looks over it and tells me he thought they were hard to get, but if someone who cant read the range rules can get one then it must be a breeze. Delightful guy.

All said and done, I am glad I had my F4 with me because I am sure there would have been a few LEO's dispatched if I hadn't. Saved me further hassle, but I have to admit I almost chose not to show it to the guy.

Thats my long winded, story of being in the wrong....
watcher
Senior Silent Operator

Post by watcher »

700PPS

Let's just say that I would not meet most peoples visual image of LE - more like John Le Carres description of Smiley - old, fat. glasses - perhaps that makes me harmless.

And these days I am the only one there not wearing full battle-gear with camo, vest, drop-holster, helmet and AR - makes you stand out.

:lol: