Surefire verses other suppressors

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderators: Kudu22, ECHOS

tbd1966

Surefire verses other suppressors

Post by tbd1966 »

I have been looking to purchase a can for my 7.62 S/A and wanted to know why SF suppressors were twice the price of everyone elses?

I understand SF makes quality stuff and their cans are used by the military but I understand the same about AAC. I have heard negatives about AAC's Customer service but other than that the cans they produce are top notch.

Anyway, I'm not bashing anyone here, just looking for factual feedback regarding the real differences to justify the cost.

Thanks in advance for your input.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Re: Surefire verses other suppressors

Post by 66427vette »

I know for a fact AAC has top notch customer service . Surefire on the other hand had a light of mine for 3 months not sure if there suppressor turn around is any better.
usmc45
Silent But Deadly

Post by usmc45 »

what does a surefire can cost?
CMOS
Silent Operator

Post by CMOS »

Who is this "everyone else" of which you speak? Any good can will cost you. Look at Gemtech as well www.gem-tech.com, not cheap either.

What cans and prices are you talking about?
CMOS
Silent Operator

Post by CMOS »

tbd1966 wrote:I have heard negatives about AAC's Customer service but other than that the cans they produce are top notch.
I have seven AAC cans. Their customer service has always been excellent in my experience.
Artfanantic-archive
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artfanantic-archive »

Your question is bit trapping, so I hope I am adding to the conversation politely. There is good reason for price points, most costs are not derived from how to [upset] consumers and I don't think the suppressor repair turnaround is buy factor (three months is long)[.]

I hope not to offend anyone we all know this is an AAC forum. It has a lean-to.

I have had the K can and before I knew it, I sold it thinking I would not shoot 762 again, and it was just a good can. I am sure gemtech and AAC cans are equally regarded. Personally, I like kit fielded buy the big boys. I place great trust in there kit choices. I know Kevin Boland runs his EM carbine with the K can, it was designed around this platform. I do intend to buy one right around shot for my new K gun.

It is a tough choice and a high price, today all the companies have good products. I think it really has to be a personal preference.

What can and what rifle are you mating?
Last edited by Artfanantic-archive on Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
BriggsRi
Silent But Deadly

Post by BriggsRi »

Both AAC & SureFire have awesome customer service.
MAJ MALFUNCTION
Elite Industry Professional

Post by MAJ MALFUNCTION »

The top tier manufacturers produce their suppressors mainly for military & LE use/sales - that is their target market (guys who are out there in the real world kicking in doors & who's lives depend on their kit working 100%).

In that vein, manufacturers like Surefire spare no expense to make the best suppressor they can (because they HAVE TO) - high levels of R&D, top notch (EXPENSIVE) materials, time consuming/labor intensive construction, etc.

A good analogy is the Sports car market - why should you pay so much more for a Ferrari or Porsche, when you can get a Mustang GT that is just about as fast from 0 to 60, almost corners as well, almost brakes as well, etc.????

The difference is that Ferrari & Porsche are both designed and built from the ground up with a "no compromise" MO - to the highest standards currently available within their industry. A professional race car driver can take one off of the showroom floor and track it with a high level of performance and reliability. If you take a Mustang to the race track it would not survive the punishment like the premium cars would.

To give you some specifics as to why the Surefire cans are worth the cost of admission:
-they're designed & refined based on REAL WORLD use by military/LE (this is more important than many customers realize)
-they have one of the best (if not THE BEST) QD mounting systems in the industry
-their cans are built for extreme use/durability (the can will outlive you - your kids will be passing the suppressor down to their kids)
-if you could demo an FA762SS and actually hear it, you'd have no problem cracking open your wallet to fund one :D

Bryon
SILENCER WHOLESALER - selling to Class III dealers only
BriggsRi
Silent But Deadly

Post by BriggsRi »

MAJ MALFUNCTION wrote:The top tier manufacturers produce their suppressors mainly for military & LE use/sales - that is their target market (guys who are out there in the real world kicking in doors & who's lives depend on their kit working 100%).

In that vein, manufacturers like Surefire spare no expense to make the best suppressor they can (because they HAVE TO) - high levels of R&D, top notch (EXPENSIVE) materials, time consuming/labor intensive construction, etc.

A good analogy is the Sports car market - why should you pay so much more for a Ferrari or Porsche, when you can get a Mustang GT that is just about as fast from 0 to 60, almost corners as well, almost brakes as well, etc.????

The difference is that Ferrari & Porsche are both designed and built from the ground up with a "no compromise" MO - to the highest standards currently available within their industry. A professional race car driver can take one off of the showroom floor and track it with a high level of performance and reliability. If you take a Mustang to the race track it would not survive the punishment like the premium cars would.

To give you some specifics as to why the Surefire cans are worth the cost of admission:
-they're designed & refined based on REAL WORLD use by military/LE (this is more important than many customers realize)
-they have one of the best (if not THE BEST) QD mounting systems in the industry
-their cans are built for extreme use/durability (the can will outlive you - your kids will be passing the suppressor down to their kids)
-if you could demo an FA762SS and actually hear it, you'd have no problem cracking open your wallet to fund one :D

Bryon

Very well done!
Artfanantic-archive
Silent But Deadly

tbd1966 wrote:I have been looking to purchase a can for my 7.62 S/A and wanted to know why SF suppressors were twice the price of everyone elses?

I understand SF makes quality stuff and their cans are used by the military but I understand the same about AAC. I have heard negatives about AAC's Customer service but other than that the cans they produce are top notch.

Anyway, I'm not bashing anyone here, just looking for factual feedback regarding the real differences to justify the cost.

Thanks in advance for your input.
I am sorry your original post got lost in my reading of the rest. I see what can you are looking for above. What are your motivations for looking at the surefire and what weapon? I think by posting you may get some feedback about that setup very quickly. This forum, especially on the industry side is very professional and you can find many real world users, like you are looking for.

I glean from your post you are concerned about price and customer service. I think your emphasis on customer service is important, but nearly insignificant for most civilian consumers. Yet I say this not knowing your volume of fire. The cans are rated for 30k rounds of fire. I shot mine on a Remy 700 short action (sold), noveske N4 afgan, and a dpms sass (sold) the can went from both nicely (again I kick self for selling) and Bryon and Gavin know I am clamoring for another.

The can was an accurizing device, mounted fast, cooled fast, and did its job well. The brake selection and brakes are also a consideration. I am pleased with these as well. I used a brake and a FH for the respective weapons.

I have regrouped my 762 collection, and went Ferrari and will only consider the SF for a muzzle mounted device. By no means am I an expert or giving you a professional review, but I liked mine and found the value fair.

As far as AAC customer service, I feel they need a mild amount of defence. This is a AAC forum, what better CS than provide such, and they have everything from professionals to wackos buying there product, its part of the marketing. I am sure they also have some drift with CS from time to time as well. I recommend you call them and ask them about how they feel about CS. Most companies in this business don't even answer there call, let alone emails. One of the most aloof companies KAC has for the last 10 years or so have had one of the worst CS reputation, but its totally misrepresented the gentlemen just dint want there time wasted, but herein, m4carbine and arfcom they are active members for there clientele. AS for SF CS, ask for some I am sure you will get it. I have had good experiences while I was a neophyte to their kit.
tbd1966

Post by tbd1966 »

Thanks to those that provided feedback.

I am new to suppressors and as a result I have done a lot of "looking and asking questions". It is hard to wade through personal opinion sometimes to realize fact from fiction. My feedback about AAC came from a few people, one specifically, that had a failure with an Evolution 45 can and it took him for ever to work out anything with AAC. In the end he wasn't happy at all with the experience. I'm not here to cast negativity toward AAC, I'm just asking the question. As far as this forum leaning toward AAC, my goal is to buy the best most reliable product but this does not always equate to the most expensive product so I simply ask for experience and fact to justify AAC's CS and SF's pricing.

As far as my platform, I'm shooting a Larue OBR with a Nightforce 3.5-10 x 50. I am an LEO but this will be for my personal enjoyment, not proffesional. I do want to ensure that I get the most accuracy out of the suppressor I buy as I have spent a good deal of money on my rifle and I love it. It is a sweet shooter and I want to preserve as much of that as I can while suppressed so its not that I'm not willing to spend the money I just simply want to make sure its worth it. I have been told that the .30 cal cans can be shot on .556 rifles as well although I will experience a loss of sound suppression when I do this so I am considering doing this verses buying a second rifle suppressor.

Anyway, again thanks for the info and experience, it's much appreciated.
Artfanantic-archive
Silent But Deadly

tbd1966 wrote:Thanks to those that provided feedback.

I am new to suppressors and as a result I have done a lot of "looking and asking questions". It is hard to wade through personal opinion sometimes to realize fact from fiction. My feedback about AAC came from a few people, one specifically, that had a failure with an Evolution 45 can and it took him for ever to work out anything with AAC. In the end he wasn't happy at all with the experience. I'm not here to cast negativity toward AAC, I'm just asking the question. As far as this forum leaning toward AAC, my goal is to buy the best most reliable product but this does not always equate to the most expensive product so I simply ask for experience and fact to justify AAC's CS and SF's pricing.

As far as my platform, I'm shooting a Larue OBR with a Nightforce 3.5-10 x 50. I am an LEO but this will be for my personal enjoyment, not proffesional. I do want to ensure that I get the most accuracy out of the suppressor I buy as I have spent a good deal of money on my rifle and I love it. It is a sweet shooter and I want to preserve as much of that as I can while suppressed so its not that I'm not willing to spend the money I just simply want to make sure its worth it. I have been told that the .30 cal cans can be shot on .556 rifles as well although I will experience a loss of sound suppression when I do this so I am considering doing this verses buying a second rifle suppressor.

Anyway, again thanks for the info and experience, it's much appreciated.
This is exactly what I did. The Noveske N4 was 556, and I did find it nicely suppressed. Again, I regret selling mine and will be placing an order for shot. The OBR is an excellent platform. You may want to check out the rifle section of the forum also and ask for some experiences with this suppressed. Good luck, and keep Texas free.
CMOS
Silent Operator

Post by CMOS »

tbd1966 wrote:I do want to ensure that I get the most accuracy out of the suppressor I buy as I have spent a good deal of money on my rifle and I love it. It is a sweet shooter and I want to preserve as much of that as I can while suppressed so its not that I'm not willing to spend the money I just simply want to make sure its worth it.
I have a Savage .308 with 24" barrel, custom bedding. I use an AAC Cyclone, direct thread on the barrel (not QD). I found that the suppressor improved accuracy, no question about it. Shifting zero is a different issue. With the can on I was a few inches low at 100 yards from where I was without the can. I re-zeroed and I'm all set.
tbd1966 wrote: I have been told that the .30 cal cans can be shot on .556 rifles as well although I will experience a loss of sound suppression when I do this so I am considering doing this verses buying a second rifle suppressor.
Assuming that you have compatible mounts on the .30 cal rifle and .556 you can use the "bigger" can on the "smaller" rifle. And yes, you do lose some sound suppression that way, but it's not a big deal between 308 and 556. A popular way to do this would be to get the AAC 762-SD and two 51-tooth mounts, one in 5/8x24 and one in 1/2x28.