SilCo Stainless 22 Sparrow upgrade from aluminum yet?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

psp7
Silent But Deadly

SilCo Stainless 22 Sparrow upgrade from aluminum yet?

Post by psp7 »

Anyone sign up for their aluminum Sparrow to be upgraded to Stainless and get contact from SilencerCo to send back to them yet? I've been anxiously awaiting since the evening in mid October they annouced and started accepting e-mail info for upgrades. Anyone send their aluminum 22 Sparrow back yet for a makeover? :mrgreen:
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Re: SilCo Stainless 22 Sparrow upgrade from aluminum yet?

Post by Abiqua »

I signed up 24Oct and haven't heard from them either. I asked about it in the SilencerCo area this thread and got a reply but not an answer. Since we're way past the original estimate, it'd be nice to have a revised timeline.
psp7
Silent But Deadly

Post by psp7 »

abiqua, someone mentioned to me today on another site that Joshua said to him it should be in the next few weeks. I'd rather not call Silencerco and bother them like others are bombarding with trivial questions like "when are the .223 can gonna be available or what size of o-ring do I need just in case mine blows out" Phone calls and e-mails can take up alot of machining time on product :mrgreen: .
brazos609
Silent But Deadly

Post by brazos609 »

Has it been posted here yet that the upgrade is $275?
ASP2001
Silent But Deadly

Post by ASP2001 »

They could have "stuck" everyone with the first gen Sparrow and said, "sorry, technology changes". Be patient and appreciate that they are offering an upgrade at such a reasonable price. As we are all fusing about the upgrade, 1k other people are fusing about getting their NIB SS Sparrow.

Josh and company have always done their best to be honest and stick to timelines as closely as possible.
They appreciate us buying their products and want to keep us as content as possible.
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

After watching the videos again with the new SS Sparrow, I'm going to stick with my classic Sparrow for now. I think the differences are negligible at this point (rifles are louder by 5db sometimes on the new one). We'll see how cleaning my original goes, maybe that'll change my mind :lol:

Plus my wife is seriously going to kill me with all the money I'm talking about spending on a subgun, suppressors, accessories.
ASP2001
Silent But Deadly

Post by ASP2001 »

+1 for the Classic Sparrow. I clean every 1k rounds or so and haven't had any issues. Kroil does a nice job removing lead and carbon.
Mageever
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mageever »

Wahnsinn wrote:After watching the videos again with the new SS Sparrow, I'm going to stick with my classic Sparrow for now. I think the differences are negligible at this point (rifles are louder by 5db sometimes on the new one). We'll see how cleaning my original goes, maybe that'll change my mind :lol:

Plus my wife is seriously going to kill me with all the money I'm talking about spending on a subgun, suppressors, accessories.
It doesn't get louder on rifles. The 5 dB you mentioned must be random fluctuation. In testing it usually averages within +/- 1-2 dB of the aluminum version. I haven't been able to tell a difference on a rifle, but on a pistol it is noticeably quieter.

The current quietest cans out like the Spectre or Element are great on pistols, but significantly lose performance on rifles. The Prodigy is super quiet on rifles but loses performance on pistols. The cool thing about this can is that it works really well on both pistols and rifles.

Subguns are important, though. That's money spent wisely. :)
MAJ MALFUNCTION
Elite Industry Professional

Post by MAJ MALFUNCTION »

Mageever wrote: The current quietest cans out like the Spectre or Element are great on pistols, but significantly lose performance on rifles. The Prodigy is super quiet on rifles but loses performance on pistols. The cool thing about this can is that it works really well on both pistols and rifles.
VERY accurate statement.

Bryon
SILENCER WHOLESALER - selling to Class III dealers only
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

Mageever wrote:
Wahnsinn wrote:After watching the videos again with the new SS Sparrow, I'm going to stick with my classic Sparrow for now. I think the differences are negligible at this point (rifles are louder by 5db sometimes on the new one). We'll see how cleaning my original goes, maybe that'll change my mind :lol:

It doesn't get louder on rifles. The 5 dB you mentioned must be random fluctuation. In testing it usually averages within +/- 1-2 dB of the aluminum version. I haven't been able to tell a difference on a rifle, but on a pistol it is noticeably quieter.

The current quietest cans out like the Spectre or Element are great on pistols, but significantly lose performance on rifles. The Prodigy is super quiet on rifles but loses performance on pistols. The cool thing about this can is that it works really well on both pistols and rifles.

Subguns are important, though. That's money spent wisely. :)
Sorry, I didn't mean 5db from pistol to rifle, but 5db on the rifle only between classic Sparrow and SS Sparrow. If I recall pistol only from classic to SS, the SS was quieter.

But yes, subgun is all of a sudden important, just woke up one day and the itch was there :D

On the topic of losing performance on rifles (for some cans), why is that? Where others are better on rifle than pistol? Are the cans just "tuned" to work better on one than the other?
kapkanimd
Silent But Deadly

Post by kapkanimd »

MAJ MALFUNCTION wrote:
Mageever wrote: The current quietest cans out like the Spectre or Element are great on pistols, but significantly lose performance on rifles. The Prodigy is super quiet on rifles but loses performance on pistols. The cool thing about this can is that it works really well on both pistols and rifles.
VERY accurate statement.

Bryon
From the numbers I saw the prodigiy was still in the top 5 or so on pistols and in the top 3 or so on rifles... I havent seen any numbers on the new sparrow, but I this is kind of saying that the prodigy is not good on pistols and can be misleading to people reading it...

I do agree the element did score significantly less on the rifles which is why I went with the prodigy instead, the new sparrow does look good I am not saying differently, but I would refrain from misleading those who believe everything they read
AAC SPR/M4, AAC TiRant .45, AAC Prodigy, AAC Cyclone
many, many more to come
psp7
Silent But Deadly

Post by psp7 »

yes, refrain from hurting the feelings of those that have the product in which you are referring to. :mrgreen: All silencers are great!
kapkanimd
Silent But Deadly

Post by kapkanimd »

psp7 wrote:yes, refrain from hurting the feelings of those that have the product in which you are referring to. :mrgreen: All silencers are great!
wow.... hurting the feelings of..??? I hope this was a retarded attempt at a sarcarstic joke
many, many more to come
psp7
Silent But Deadly

Post by psp7 »

:shock: no sir! its great you love your AAC cans
kapkanimd
Silent But Deadly

Post by kapkanimd »

psp7 wrote::shock: no sir! its great you love your AAC cans
wow, you have really proven your maturity level on here, congrats
many, many more to come
Mageever
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mageever »

kapkanimd wrote: From the numbers I saw the prodigiy was still in the top 5 or so on pistols and in the top 3 or so on rifles... I havent seen any numbers on the new sparrow, but I this is kind of saying that the prodigy is not good on pistols and can be misleading to people reading it...

I do agree the element did score significantly less on the rifles which is why I went with the prodigy instead, the new sparrow does look good I am not saying differently, but I would refrain from misleading those who believe everything they read
I didn't say it the Prodigy is not good on pistols. It just doesn't shine on pistols like it does on rifles was my point. Does it work well? Yes it does. Is it a top performer on a pistol? I don't think so. My old 22Sparrow sounds better and has less FRP.
Wahnsinn wrote: Sorry, I didn't mean 5db from pistol to rifle, but 5db on the rifle only between classic Sparrow and SS Sparrow. If I recall pistol only from classic to SS, the SS was quieter.
That's what I understood. The old vs. new meter basically the same on rifles, which is pretty cool considering that's in the prodigy performance zone.
kapkanimd
Silent But Deadly

Post by kapkanimd »

Mageever wrote:
kapkanimd wrote: From the numbers I saw the prodigiy was still in the top 5 or so on pistols and in the top 3 or so on rifles... I havent seen any numbers on the new sparrow, but I this is kind of saying that the prodigy is not good on pistols and can be misleading to people reading it...

I didn't say it the Prodigy is not good on pistols. It just doesn't shine on pistols like it does on rifles was my point. Does it work well? Yes it does. Is it a top performer on a pistol? I don't think so. My old 22Sparrow sounds better and has less FRP.
Wahnsinn wrote: Sorry, I didn't mean 5db from pistol to rifle, but 5db on the rifle only between classic Sparrow and SS Sparrow. If I recall pistol only from classic to SS, the SS was quieter.
That's what I understood. The old vs. new meter basically the same on rifles, which is pretty cool considering that's in the prodigy performance zone.
Thats all fine and dandy, the whole point of my post was to make things a little clearer to those that just read others opinions instead of looking at numbers or facts or whatnot.. I could careless based off of what I purchased. All my purchases were based of factual numbers and insight and I bought the very best in each class at the time and it has nothing to do with being a fan of AAC, they just happen to of had the best of the time (which still is debatable the best currently)..

Your comparison on pistols to your old 22Sparrow is also opinion based, which is fine, but to say the prodigy is not a top performer on pistols ("I dont think so") is incorrect, I wish I was still a subscriber (or that it was free) to get the exact numbers, but I think the top 5 in pistols is a 'top performer'.. again this is off of a review, but it I accept it as unbiased data whether some people disagree or not

Honestly this is my last post in this thread as it has nothing to do with its original purpose of finding out if anyone has had their sparrow upgraded yet or not, so I will leave it to the OP (sorry man).. If you really want to debate this more, we can do so in another thread
many, many more to come
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

ASP2001 wrote:They could have "stuck" everyone with the first gen Sparrow and said, "sorry, technology changes". Be patient and appreciate that they are offering an upgrade at such a reasonable price. As we are all fusing about the upgrade, 1k other people are fusing about getting their NIB SS Sparrow.

Josh and company have always done their best to be honest and stick to timelines as closely as possible.
They appreciate us buying their products and want to keep us as content as possible.
I'm not asking for anything special. I'm just asking for an updated timeline since we're now 5 to 7 weeks past the original estimate.
psp7
Silent But Deadly

Post by psp7 »

assp, SilencerCo wouldnt do that. They arent like other companies :mrgreen: They care about customers and naturally we are all greatful for their generous service. I want my stainless upgrade :cry: Now! Who sells kroil cheap? I should try that.