If you could buy just one handgun, what would it be?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Which one?

Walther PPK .380
1%
Walther P-38 (Not matching, not original finish)
1%
Walther P22
1%
Beretta Bobcat .22LR
1%
Ruger Mk. III with 5.5" Barrel
8%
Ruger Charger
1%
Beretta M9
8%
SIG-Sauer P226 X5
17%
USP Tactical 9
22%
Glock 34
20%
FNP-45
15%
Para Ordnance 14-45
5%

Total votes: 96

LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Re: If you could buy just one handgun, what would it be?

Post by LavaRed »

joshrunkle35 wrote:
Dweezil wrote: Aren't you in Central America? What ammo is most plentiful? I'd think that would be a major factor in your handgun choice?
Legally, I would guess he can get any of the major/common pistol calibers and shotgun gauges we can, and some odd, special hunting/non military calibers in rifle like .22 wsm or .222.
There's really no caliber restrictions written into the law down here, tho every once in a while they try to pass a law to that effect. They do have some administrative rulings banning importation of new semi-auto AR-15's, AK-47,s and other "assault-looking guns", so that limits legal availability of a lot of those cartridges (there not being a great demand because not many people legally own them).

What limits caliber choices the most is practical availability. In that sense, .45 ACP is nearly a dead dog, as sadly the cartels seem to have taken a liking to the venerable 1911, thus they have hoarded the supply and driven prices up to around US$40.00 a box of 50, if it can be found. .22LR is plentiful, 9mm is plentiful, .38 spl is pletiful, .380ACP is not so plentiful, but available. I'd think the calibers you will find nearly everywhere here are .22LR, 9mm, .38spl, 12 gauge.

And I admit that since there are no SBR laws down here, the main idea of getting the Ruger Charger would have been to put a full rifle stock on it and internally thread it for my remaining .22LR suppressor (the older one was written off in an accident last week: Faulty .22 short round failed to exit suppressor, next round hit it, no external indicators, and final round of .22LR through it really messed the aluminium separate segments up.)
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
itsa226

Post by itsa226 »

Personally, I`m a sig guy and have an X-5 also. Its a wonderful gun and I really enjoy it, but, I hate to say it, maybe a glock would be a good choice. They do have a very good reputation for taking a beating and still going on. (cant believe I just said that :roll: :lol: )
jcsanders79

Post by jcsanders79 »

Glock 23.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

jcsanders79 wrote:Glock 23.
He is in Central America. 40 S&W makes no sense.
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

I'm going to own up to voting on the Beretta bobcat. If I could ONLY own one handgun, it's going to be one I could have on me at ALL times. Can't say that for the Glock.

Even naked I suppose it's easier to hide a bobcat than it would be a Glock.
Theprofessor
Silent Operator

Post by Theprofessor »

GlocksInMySocks wrote:It'd be real hard for me not to pick a P30L or a HK45, but then again, i've got a HK boner
Dude, its not a boner, its just a bro-ner. Also another vote for the P30L in LEM. My buddy has a P30L and I have an HK45C. Best guns I've ever shot. I went with the 45C because it came with a factory threaded barrel. My buddy had to send his P30L barrel to get extended then threaded. If I had to do it all over again, I would go P30L. However, I am extremely happy with my HK45C and Osprey 45 combo. Awesome quiet dry, even better shot wet. Additionally, I would also go for an M&P9 or a Nighthawk Custom GRP Recon (should you have the means 8) ).
DoctorSolo
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoctorSolo »

glock 19. sorry.
wolf
Silent But Deadly

Post by wolf »

A 9mm because of what ammo you can get

not a Glock 19 because you want a longer barrel for it,, right :wink: and they are not so easy to get where you are
a 17 takes a barrel from either a 34 or 17L, so easier to get a longer barrel for a 17
or if you take the 34 you might be able to get a 17L barrel

my choice would be a Glock 17 next a 34 , but check what barrels you can get
and let THAT decide

then find a 17L or a 34 barrel and have it threaded

PS get some reloading equipment
flyrodder

Post by flyrodder »

I've got to chime in with another vote for the 1911. Obviously a huge number of variants, but for fit, function, accuracy, ease of customization, durability, if I only had one handgun that's what it would be.

And, while other calibers are available, it would be (and is) in .45 ACP. A 9mm or 40 short & weak may expand, but a 45 will never shrink.

My wife and I tried on a bunch of handguns last weekend and ended up with a Ruger LC9 for her. Not a bad little gun. She still prefers my Springfield Armory Ultra Compact 45, but wanted something a little lighter and smaller. How anyone could prefer the horrendous, reachy trigger pulls that pistols have these days over the straight back single action 1911 pull, tuned to around 3 pounds, is beyond me. May as well have a double-action large frame revolver!
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

flyrodder wrote:I've got to chime in with another vote for the 1911. Obviously a huge number of variants, but for fit, function, accuracy, ease of customization, durability, if I only had one handgun that's what it would be.

And, while other calibers are available, it would be (and is) in .45 ACP. A 9mm or 40 short & weak may expand, but a 45 will never shrink.

My wife and I tried on a bunch of handguns last weekend and ended up with a Ruger LC9 for her. Not a bad little gun. She still prefers my Springfield Armory Ultra Compact 45, but wanted something a little lighter and smaller. How anyone could prefer the horrendous, reachy trigger pulls that pistols have these days over the straight back single action 1911 pull, tuned to around 3 pounds, is beyond me. May as well have a double-action large frame revolver!
I didn't include 1911 because I already own two fine specimens of it.

And while yes, having a threaded barrel for suppression would be nice, it's not really essential if it has to be sacrificed.
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

LavaRed wrote: What limits caliber choices the most is practical availability. In that sense, .45 ACP is nearly a dead dog, as sadly the cartels seem to have taken a liking to the venerable 1911, thus they have hoarded the supply and driven prices up to around US$40.00 a box of 50, if it can be found. .22LR is plentiful, 9mm is plentiful, .38 spl is pletiful, .380ACP is not so plentiful, but available. I'd think the calibers you will find nearly everywhere here are .22LR, 9mm, .38spl, 12 gauge.
Well crossing off all the 45's on your list, and .380 ACP as not available, you already have a 22 and I don't favor that for selfdefense (it's like ice pick in effect) I didn't see any 38's listed and knowing you may want to suppress it. I'm going to go against the group and say the Walther P-38 provided a gunsmith gives it good bill of health - You can find parts for it most anywhere and they are not expensive, 9mm ammo is inexpensive and 158 and 147 are subsonic - if you reload you can use .355-.358 bullets. You can specialize by getting another barrel cut the barrel back and thread it. Reliability is battle proven (heck current M9 is using copy of Walther's lockup)
more compact and easily CCW than some of the other choices. And heck I like mine.
Man from uncle look - if you cut the barrel a little shorter you might get 124grn weak loads subsonic...
you can dovetail a front sight into the barrel or you can mount it to a spare slide...
and if you went crazy for full Man from Uncle with a stock, scope etc
- Second choice would be the M9
but I find mine harder to conceal carry than the smaller Walther P38.
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
ncsu90
Silent But Deadly

Post by ncsu90 »

Lava,

Did you have some issues with threaded barrels in your country. Was it that you had to register them, or couldn't import them at all? I would factor that into your choice also. I'm a really big Sig fan, but I voted the M9 as I thought it would be the easiest for you to have threaded locally.
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

ncsu90 wrote:Lava,

Did you have some issues with threaded barrels in your country. Was it that you had to register them, or couldn't import them at all? I would factor that into your choice also. I'm a really big Sig fan, but I voted the M9 as I thought it would be the easiest for you to have threaded locally.
Indeed, one is supposed to register every barrel, and threaded barrels are not really looked at benevolently, unless they have a compensator installed, which is a simple matter of having one made to fit the particular barrel.
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

What could be considered a "really good" choice, even going outside of the limits of this list?

Thanks,
Lava
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

LavaRed wrote:What could be considered a "really good" choice, even going outside of the limits of this list?

Thanks,
Lava
I think, in reading the responses, Glock 19 or 17.
Kick Ass Design
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

LavaRed wrote:What could be considered a "really good" choice, even going outside of the limits of this list?

Thanks,
Lava
I'm Sig biased and I'll say a P228/P229 in 9mm since you said a all around self defense, target, suppression kind of gun. It's moderately compact, holds 15+ rounds without changing the profile but you can still stick 20 round magazines in it if you want.

G19/17 covers Glock IMO. There are many more decent choices but I see no need to look beyond Sig or Glock for your intended purposes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
dbrown
Senior Silent Operator

Post by dbrown »

G17/19 given the ammo availability.

If ammo wasn't a problem I'd say HK45C.

Start reloading
joshrunkle35
Silent But Deadly

Post by joshrunkle35 »

Thanks,
Lava
If you're gonna carry it on your person for your own personal defense:
Glock 19, Glock 17, Smith & Wesson M&P 9, Sig 229 or 226 (only if double action)

If you're gonna use it only for shooting at targets then something really accurate like a 1911 would be a good choice.
So the Libyan Fable is told
That once an eagle, stricken with a dart,
Said, when he saw the fashion of the shaft,
"With our own feathers, not by others' hands,
Are we now smitten."
-Anton Myrer, Once an Eagle
jcsanders79

Post by jcsanders79 »

Since my G23 suggestion wasn't practical because ammo availability I'm guessing 10mm isn't easy to get either?

Personally if I could have only one weapon I'd want it to be larger caliber than a 9mm. Since I occasionally hunt in bear country a G29 or G20 (10mm) would be my choice.

In 9mm I'd consider the G17 or a Springfield XDM.

What kind of hell would I only be able to have one handgun :twisted:
joshrunkle35
Silent But Deadly

Post by joshrunkle35 »

jcsanders79 wrote:Since my G23 suggestion wasn't practical because ammo availability I'm guessing 10mm isn't easy to get either?

Personally if I could have only one weapon I'd want it to be larger caliber than a 9mm. Since I occasionally hunt in bear country a G29 or G20 (10mm) would be my choice.

In 9mm I'd consider the G17 or a Springfield XDM.

What kind of hell would I only be able to have one handgun :twisted:
There aren't many bears in guatemala city. :D
So the Libyan Fable is told
That once an eagle, stricken with a dart,
Said, when he saw the fashion of the shaft,
"With our own feathers, not by others' hands,
Are we now smitten."
-Anton Myrer, Once an Eagle
jcsanders79

Post by jcsanders79 »

No bears WTF, what about methheads?
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

Thanks,
Lava
That's a question you yourself will have to answer, but I have in many years carried several guns.
discounting all revolvers (not suitable for suppression), smaller, lighter and especially thinner is easier to Every Day Carry.
I would say sig's (what I carry now 225), 1911 commander size with aluminum frame (you can have barrel for 9mm, 45 even 22LR on same frame) -and- I am not a glock fan but lots have found this to be a weapon that's reliable enough to trust their lives too so I'll include it model 19 is their CCW size.

Being you already have a 1911 in 45 and are familar with manual at arms why are you considering changing?
If you are just having trouble with getting ammo and can't reload you can get another barrel for your 1911 in 9mm (which would be quieter than 45).
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

Artful wrote:

Thanks,
Lava
That's a question you yourself will have to answer, but I have in many years carried several guns.
discounting all revolvers (not suitable for suppression), smaller, lighter and especially thinner is easier to Every Day Carry.
I would say sig's (what I carry now 225), 1911 commander size with aluminum frame (you can have barrel for 9mm, 45 even 22LR on same frame) -and- I am not a glock fan but lots have found this to be a weapon that's reliable enough to trust their lives too so I'll include it model 19 is their CCW size.

Being you already have a 1911 in 45 and are familar with manual at arms why are you considering changing?
If you are just having trouble with getting ammo and can't reload you can get another barrel for your 1911 in 9mm (which would be quieter than 45).
I am thinking of storing most of my guns in a safe or vault of some sort and want one or 2 pistols at most to have readily accessible for carry. Also, I was shooting at the range the other day, and some older guys were shooting ISPC or some sort of "self defense" style at targets from like 5 meters away rapid fire, while I was shooting at the small pop-down metal targets at 25 metres with my 1911 and .22 Beretta. They seemed to be bothered at this or something, but they told me that no matter how accurate, my current carry combo would only get me killed if I had a self-defense situation, and that I should consider something more modern and with more capacity. That made me think maybe I should heed their advice? :?
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

jcsanders79 wrote:No bears WTF, what about methheads?
Methheads might be encountered. But to be fair I really avoid dangerous situations. I rarely go out, save to go to class and back, or my farm. I don't party, go to the movies, or have any form of entertainment whatsoever that requires me going to dangerous areas (My only passions are guns and plastic model-building). So it's mostly the unexpected I'm trying to prepare for.

Btw, since the 1911 is so big, I usually carry in a purse. Yes, I wear a purse. It's dead useful, no matter how weird it looks.
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

LavaRed wrote: I am thinking of storing most of my guns in a safe or vault of some sort and want one or 2 pistols at most to have readily accessible for carry. Also, I was shooting at the range the other day, and some older guys were shooting ISPC or some sort of "self defense" style at targets from like 5 meters away rapid fire, while I was shooting at the small pop-down metal targets at 25 metres with my 1911 and .22 Beretta. They seemed to be bothered at this or something, but they told me that no matter how accurate, my current carry combo would only get me killed if I had a self-defense situation, and that I should consider something more modern and with more capacity. That made me think maybe I should heed their advice? :?
Ok, I understand - I have shot IPSC and threegun - I understand the "race gun" mentality, I own the Para-ord P14 because of it - did it make me a better shooter -NO
Did it improve my scores - yes on some stages - other actually suffered from it. If you master your 1911 you will be a foe to be reconned with. But that takes practice
to make to higher levels of IPSC (or most shooting sports for that matter) you need to shoot a lot - IPSC pistol were talking 50,000 to 65,000 rounds a year.

Most people don't have the time or money to buy the ammo to do this. But you can do drills without ammo for the draw and stroke, you can get a 22LR conversion for you 1911 frame to help with ammo costs (I bought the colt but several others make better ones now.) and ammo availablity. (heck if you can afford it you can get 9mm slide and use that to train for the 45 (and it either 22 or 9 will suppress well). What I am talking about is being able to do an El Presidente drill in sub 5 second times. (youtube to show what that is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAnnK63PqF8 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHZ-SPgbpYc - look at comments for more links).

If you can draw and shoot 6 good hits reload and hit 6 more good hits in 4 to 5 sec your pretty well covered in the real world. And thats from wherever you carry it - my wife has several carry purses (purses with built in holster & pocket to speed getting your weapon). I sometime belt carry and sometimes use a fanny pack setup (purse belted to my belly).

Your 22LR backup is better than nothing but I'd consider trading it out for something larger calibered (380 ppk might be good for that (*I used AMT 380 backup at one point myself)). It's always best if your weapons all use the same muscle memory (it safety down is always off - not up on one down on the other weapon - that will mess you up.)

Read the local news - find out what MO the bad guys are using in your area. It's suprising how often they will change tactic's - they learn from each other so the good guys need to learn as well. If you haven't taken any courses - get some books and read up on awareness and tactic's and strategy. The best fight is the one you out think your opponent and never have to use a weapon to win.