POI shift?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

daved20319

POI shift?

Post by daved20319 »

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I've seen multiple comments re: POI shift with asymmetric cores. Does this mean the POI shifts around at random with the can installed, i.e. buggers up the accuracy, or is it a consistent shift in POI, say 1" right and a 1/2" high with the can installed vs. no can? Still in the planning stages of my first Form 1 build, planning a mono-core as that's more appropriate to my machining skills and tools, and am looking at different designs. Thanks!

Dave
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Re: POI shift?

Post by Capt. Link. »

POI is always consistent once suppressor is seated. It may change slightly if the suppressor is removed and replaced. All suppressors will change the POI because of weight alone, some exhibit greater shift because of baffle design.Asymmetrical baffles often have the greatest shift with the largest performance gain. A suppressor normally increases accuracy one that dose not usually has issues with baffle strikes.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
daved20319

Re: POI shift?

Post by daved20319 »

Thanks, Capt., that's what I was hoping to hear. It's official, I finally got payment to go through on my Form 1, so now it's just waiting. Good time to brush up on my machining skills, I haven't run my lathe in well over a year, and not much better on my mill 🙄. More to come, I'm sure, both questions and, eventually, build progress 😉. Later.

Dave