Thinking about #2 already...

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

daved20319

Thinking about #2 already...

Post by daved20319 »

So I just e-filed my first Form 1 for a rimfire can, but I'm already thinking about what will be next, of course 😳. From the lowly rimfires, I jump to 9mm or .45 ACP in pistols, or an AR in 5.56, .223 or 6.5 Grendel. I just don't see the point of sub-sonic .223, and the Grendel wouldn't be that much better, but I would like to do a centerfire pistol at some point. The .45 is an obvious choice, most loads for that are sub-sonic anyway, and I hand load as well. So my question is, has anyone made a suppressor for a Beretta PX4 Storm, with the rotating vs. tilting barrel? Seems like on the one hand, the rotating barrel would eliminate the need for a booster, but on the other hand, the barrel rotation would tend to unscrew the suppressor. So anyone have any first hand experience? And if so, where/how did you source a threaded barrel? They're a factory option for my 9mm Canik, and not even that expensive, but I haven't seen anything for the Beretta Storms. Thanks!

Dave
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Re: Thinking about #2 already...

Post by Capt. Link. »

Suppressing a rotating barrel vs a tilt one brings up some interesting thoughts about boosters or Nielsen devices. Weight of the suppressor would still be a factor in the locking and unlocking of a rotating body. A quasi Nielsen device could be designed for a rotating barrel to "unload" it in the same fashion.
Almost any barrel can be threaded, it just depends on resources and the thickness of the barrel walls.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
hangman

Re: Thinking about #2 already...

Post by hangman »

It seems (from this topic: https://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1922) that it's already been done in the 45 ACP version (here's a link to a video made by SiCo: https://www.facebook.com/px4stormfanpag ... 894498843/). TL;DR - it got a little loose / started rotating by the third shot on both tested suppressors. They considered LH threading, but there isn't enough meat on the barrel for M16x1LH to be cut, and, furthermore, they worried that it would "lock" to the barrel with constant impacts effectively tightening the can to the barrel.

Hope that helps.

Finally - and I'm no expert here - but I don't think I'd tackle that for can #2...more like #20! :D

Semper exaudiō,
HangMan
Semper exaudiō,
HangMan