.45 cal. Welded

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

BWS Arms

.45 cal. Welded

Post by BWS Arms »

Here’s a one that I am building for a 458 Socom. It’s all 4140 and will be welded. It has eleven baffles. I didn’t clip the first or last but may do so before I weld it up. I also have not weighed it since I have to get a new scale. I will try to get a video posted after I complete it. I tried to post pictures but I can’t for some reason.
FFL 07/02 SOT
hangman

Re: .45 cal. Welded

Post by hangman »

BWS Arms - welcome to the forum!

I think you need to get beyond the "New Member" status (IIRC, it takes 5 or 10 posts) to be able to post pictures. You can try and PM me with a pic, and I'll be happy to post on your behalf. (I'm VERY interested as an avid 458 SOCOM shooter - though I'm an abysmal welder, so unlikely to benefit much beyond spurring me to get better at welding...)
Semper exaudiō,
HangMan
BWS Arms

Post by BWS Arms »

I will have to try and get my post count up.
FFL 07/02 SOT
milsurpcollector1970

Post by milsurpcollector1970 »

How to you keep the tube from warping?

I would be interested in you tig welding settings
BWS Arms

Post by BWS Arms »

I have a mandrel that I clamp it together with.
FFL 07/02 SOT
ChunkieActual

Post by ChunkieActual »

milsurpcollector1970 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:51 pm How to you keep the tube from warping?

I would be interested in you tig welding settings
I machine 2 aluminum blanks to the diameter of the tube and make them to replace the the pads on a vice. The aluminum will suck the heat out and reduce tremendously the warpage especially if it's any of the stainless alloys. I typically run 45-70 amps depending on the thickness of the material