flash supression

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

jwestie15

flash supression

Post by jwestie15 »

hello, I've been lurking a few weeks and cant seem to find a good answer to my questions. I'd like to have a suppressor for my short 5.56 rifle, I shoot under nods quite a bit and why I want a suppressor is for flash mitigation.

I do not care about decibel reduction a semi automatic rifle will not be long term hearing safe. My design goals are: minimal added length ideally only 3.5", OD no greater than 2.422" this this makes the can tangent to the top surface of a flat top upper and is small enough that lights and things will still clear on a Midwest Industries suppressor handgaurd, ideally less flash than a surefire RC2 on a 10.5" barrel, direct thread, I don't really care to have this can on other guns

below is a cutaway of a cad model that best as I can glean if its in 416 stainless wont explode when fired, I'd love feed back from some of you gurus. You folks are the subject matter experts.

BASE

Re: flash supression

Post by BASE »

Could be just me but I'm not seeing the picture on my computer or phone.

I would recommend reading up on diffusion walls if flash is a priority. I think you'll find plenty of mixed opinions on them but I believe they have promise for flash reduction. An example is the blast baffle in YHM's turbo k. I've seen discussion of putting them in the distal end (after the baffles) as well as the proximal, or both. Internal flash hiders might be another feature to look into.
jwestie15

Post by jwestie15 »

I tried to embed an imgur link,

https://imgur.com/gallery/iTDf2sP

That's not a term I'm familiar with but I'll look into it
BASE

Post by BASE »

In my (probably unqualified) opinion that thing isn't going to net you much sound or flash reduction. That first baffle is a giant hunk of radial which is usually reserved for low pressure pistol cans or the distal end of rifle cans. The others look like k-baffles without the crucial cross flow inducing features (namely the scoop in the base), but I don't think even a functional k baffle is really known for knocking down flash. I think the blast and unburned powder is going to shoot straight down that bore and out the exit. I think the key to flash reduction is going to be figuring out how to promote the flow of gas through multiple orifices like what a diffusion wall or flame arrestor does. Splitting the flame front into multiple smaller flame fronts I guess. I think if you search on that you will find some enlightening discussion by people who are more qualified than me. I'm just regurgitating what I've picked up while researching similar.

I'm also thinking that going bigger than 1.75" or maybe 2" diameter is likely wasted weight and even at that I think it would require some non-standard features to promote flow radially to make use of it.
mr fixit
Silent But Deadly

Post by mr fixit »

I don't think the design you have shown is going to do what you want. I'm going to suggest using as much reflex area as you can, and as large a diameter as you are comfortable with. For inspiration look at the drawing of the BR Reflex T8:

There will be a bit of a weight penalty because of the reflex area. In general, the area behind the muzzle provides less suppression than the same amount of space in front of the muzzle. But in your case, with the first priority being flash reduction this might work for you. And it's possible the short length of baffles in front of the muzzle will provide more than your expected suppression.