Stupid Gun Dealer!

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade

ericshane76
Silent Operator

Stupid Gun Dealer!

Post by ericshane76 »

I went to the Dixie Gun and Knife Classic in Raleigh on January 20th. I was looking for a Ruger .22 to go with my can. I started talking to the damn guy about threaded barrels. He asked me why I needed it threaded. Duh. I told him. He acted like I started talking about drug sales or something. He told me to keep it quiet because people could hear me. I asked him why. He said that those things are illegal. I told hiim that they were not illegal. I told him if you can buy a gun, you can probably buy a suppressor. He then said that you have to have paperwork for those things. I told him no s--t and that I was registered. I walked away. He invalidated himself with that conversation. It was a shame. He had nice guns. Whatever. People like that are stupid. Am I wrong.
wolffie
Silent But Deadly

Post by wolffie »

What dealer was it?
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Not so much stupid as evil

Post by David Hineline »

Not so much stupid as he was not a gun supporter.

If you called up the NRA national convention and wanted to set up a display of NFA weapons, you would get the same response.
NFA shooters blow their load with only one pull of the trigger.
Silent But Deadly

Post by 3101 »

the only thing wrong you did was waste that time talking to an idiot....
Mr. Burns: This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you.
Smithers: You are noble and poetic in defeat, sir.
ericshane76
Silent Operator

Post by ericshane76 »

Good question. He was located across from Black Rifle Works. I lost interest when he said that. He was in his fifties. That was okay. I went and spent some money on colt AR mags for $5.00. I bought ten.
wolffie
Silent But Deadly

Post by wolffie »

What part of NC are you in? PDHSC has the best prices in the Raleigh area and won't be afraid of a threaded barrel. Phil Flack (Asheville) was at the same show. He is also a good bet on prices, and wouldn't be afraid of a threaded barrel.

There are several dealers in that area that are squirmy about NFA stuff. Perry's in Wendell will ask you to leave the store if you bring it up.
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

I would imagine that except for a handful of folks born in to an NFA family, the majority of folks in this forum at some time in their life thought they were "illegal" too.
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

renegade wrote:I would imagine that except for a handful of folks born in to an NFA family, the majority of folks in this forum at some time in their life thought they were "illegal" too.
Major +1

I thought MG & silencers were illegal.

I started researching guns more around 1997-ish I think.

I bought a Bushmaster M4-gery and a HK USPc shortly there after....

A gun guy told MG & cans WERE legal and told me to look into it.

I did and I remember wanting a UZI.

Vector had Full Autos ones for 2500 bucks ........
NFAtalk.org
nutinauniversalshell
Silent But Deadly

Post by nutinauniversalshell »

I didnt think they were illegal. I thought you had to get a license in order to buy or own them though. Luckily I am in a pro-gun family and havent been indoctrinated to think of any firearm as illegal.
Blaster7Romeo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaster7Romeo »

Yea.. I went in to Jim's gun shop in Fayetteville and asked if they knew any class 3 dealers that i could get a suppressor from and they acted like i could not do it and it was illegal... I was like "For the love of god we are 3 miles from the gate of Ft Bragg don't tell me now one sells suppressors in this
town" I go one street over Literally and get all the answers I need.

I say this because I also know that Jim's frequent the Raleigh guns and knife shows.

PS you should have said if it was illegal then why dose that HK Tactical i saw 2 tables down have a threaded barrel on it FROM THE FACTORY??
cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by cyclone72 »

just know that there are stupid people out there and he's one of them.
Quiet_Takedown

Post by Quiet_Takedown »

I would say he's merely naive. Many people as stated before think suppressors are illegal. Many stories in this forum rotate around the naive salesman or cop that reacts to cans as illegal. It's not unusual, most people just need a little education. :o)

As to Bragg yeah that place has seen it's share of suppressors, lol, though most of the ones i've seen were on base, lol.
Johnson
Silent Operator

Post by Johnson »

its like some gunshops round here that always want to challenge why you need 200gr+ projectiles - or try to convince you that something smaller is just as good.
Was Lee painted red to annoy the Dillon Bull(y)?
zach h
Silent But Deadly

Post by zach h »

ArevaloSOCOM wrote:
renegade wrote:I would imagine that except for a handful of folks born in to an NFA family, the majority of folks in this forum at some time in their life thought they were "illegal" too.
Major +1

I thought MG & silencers were illegal.

I started researching guns more around 1997-ish I think.

I bought a Bushmaster M4-gery and a HK USPc shortly there after....

A gun guy told MG & cans WERE legal and told me to look into it.

I did and I remember wanting a UZI.

Vector had Full Autos ones for 2500 bucks ........
I grew up in Mi . MG's ,silencers ,SBS's and SBR's were/are (minus Mg's now) illegal . unless you had a "class 3 license" . when I moved to Tn and talked to some uninformed folks they said the same thing. later on I met a guy at a local range with an UZI and a gemtec trinity on a berreta 92. he explaned quite a it about the process. I asked a local dealer he said "its not worth the trouble as the ATF can come in your house at all hours of the night and look through your stuff". I was further bummed. the price of the vector UZI the guy had didn't help either ($3500 at the time) . at a local gun show I saw a guy selling an 870 AOW with the $5 transfer. I asked him about some of the laws and about putting it on my AR15 (like a masterkey ,which he said he thought was ok but not sure .when I picked up the gun he said no go ,he knew at the time I bough the gun but he wanted to make the sale). a few months after getting the AOW I filed for 2 form1's (cans robbert has seen pics) . the rest is history.

being a dealer now I get to set folks strait and also hear some pretty wild storys (I make them all the time -what forms?)
ericshane76
Silent Operator

Post by ericshane76 »

wolffie wrote:What part of NC are you in? PDHSC has the best prices in the Raleigh area and won't be afraid of a threaded barrel. Phil Flack (Asheville) was at the same show. He is also a good bet on prices, and wouldn't be afraid of a threaded barrel.

There are several dealers in that area that are squirmy about NFA stuff. Perry's in Wendell will ask you to leave the store if you bring it up.
I frequent Personal Defense all the time. They have been helpful about class III stuff. They actually helped push the idea of my purchasing my first suppressor. They do have good prices. I have bought four or five guns from them over the years. I have also bought stuff from Perry's and I hate to think they would act that way. I will find out because I will ask about this fact. Jims in Fayetteville are expensive anyway. The best prices I have ran into in NC is at ED's Guns in Southern Pines on US 1. He gives good cash prices and has good selection. I drive two hours just to visit his store. He also frequents the larger gun shows in NC.
sharps54

Post by sharps54 »

ericshane76 wrote: The best prices I have ran into in NC is at ED's Guns in Southern Pines on US 1. He gives good cash prices and has good selection. I drive two hours just to visit his store. He also frequents the larger gun shows in NC.
Yep, for non Class III Ed is the man!
wolffie
Silent But Deadly

Post by wolffie »

Something curious to me about PDHSC is that the first time I asked them about NFA transfers, they treated me like a leper. The irony is that I know Mike Tilley from IDPA competition and they still blew me off. So, 8 tax stamps with Phil Flack later... I wonder if they'd treat me any different... Not that it matters, I will buy and transfer everything through Phil. Even if it does eat up a whole day to get there and back. I won't argue that they have great prices.

For non-NFA stuff, I bought just about everything from Rudder's in Butner before they closed shop. I got great prices, generally 30 bucks over wholesale, and eventually I started working there part time, and got wholesale prices.

I bought a gun from Ed's once, and decided that the savings wasn't worth the hassle to drive to Vass. The cost in time and money to get there, and then to go back if there is a problem just didn't make sense for me. I had to add at least 50 bucks in gas to the purchase price of the gun. Driving to Phil's is different. It's not a cost savings, it's a customer service thing.
sharps54

Post by sharps54 »

wolffie wrote: I bought a gun from Ed's once, and decided that the savings wasn't worth the hassle to drive to Vass. The cost in time and money to get there, and then to go back if there is a problem just didn't make sense for me. I had to add at least 50 bucks in gas to the purchase price of the gun. Driving to Phil's is different. It's not a cost savings, it's a customer service thing.
I was only about 45 minutes from Eds, the nice thing is that since I was a regular customer and I used to go through guns like socks he would give me more for my trade ins then anyone else and he didn't mind paying in cash instead of store credit. Of course the fact I have bought Weatherbys and a double rifle from him didn't hurt.
twckxbzd

Post by twckxbzd »

i had a shop threaten to call the cops on me for asking if they had any suppressors in stock. I asked because they are listed on gemtechs website as a dealer.
ericshane76
Silent Operator

Post by ericshane76 »

To show you how crazy some of my friends are. We take road trips through eastern NC travelling from gun store to gun store looking for unique and interesting guns. One guy in Dunn, NC has many Class III weapons but most are not for sale. he did not flinch when mentioning suppressors. I think the name of his shop is Gunner's Choice. We just call it Dunn's Guns. I have a new dealer in Wilson, NC. He has started me on this suppressor addiction. He is hooking me up on some deals. I have known him for quite some time. His shop is small, but he loves suppressors. His name is James Bunn.
sharps54

Post by sharps54 »

ericshane76 wrote:To show you how crazy some of my friends are. We take road trips through eastern NC travelling from gun store to gun store looking for unique and interesting guns. One guy in Dunn, NC has many Class III weapons but most are not for sale. he did not flinch when mentioning suppressors. I think the name of his shop is Gunner's Choice. We just call it Dunn's Guns. I have a new dealer in Wilson, NC. He has started me on this suppressor addiction. He is hooking me up on some deals. I have known him for quite some time. His shop is small, but he loves suppressors. His name is James Bunn.
Hmm, that's not crazy, I used to do it all the time before I got engaged :cry: By the way that is Gunner's Choice in Dunn, the owner is Dwight and I bought my Gemtech from him. I don't know about now but when I bought from him there was no additional charge for the processsing paperwork, I think for transfers that are not bought through him he charges $100 though.
wolffie
Silent But Deadly

Post by wolffie »

Dwight seemed like a pretty good guy. Last time I was there, about a year ago, he had a lot of suppressors in stock. I asked him about the process to purchase one, knowing full well what was involved, and he explained it all. No BS, and very nice about it.
sharps54

Post by sharps54 »

wolffie wrote:Dwight seemed like a pretty good guy. Last time I was there, about a year ago, he had a lot of suppressors in stock. I asked him about the process to purchase one, knowing full well what was involved, and he explained it all. No BS, and very nice about it.
The nice thing is Sheriff Rollins (the sheriff in Harnett County) will sign off and generally if you come from Dwight he knows the paperwork is right (Dwight will do it for you) and he figures Dwight won't send him someone unless it is OK to sign off on them. I served with Dwight on a Friends of the NRA committee one year. Some of his prices are a little high (suppressors and I assume other NFA he orders is recommended retail) but he is a real nice guy and I have seen him be very patient with some pretty dumb questions and customers!
ericshane76
Silent Operator

Post by ericshane76 »

sharps54 wrote:
wolffie wrote:Some of his prices are a little high (suppressors and I assume other NFA he orders is recommended retail) but he is a real nice guy and I have seen him be very patient with some pretty dumb questions and customers!

It is funny that you mention that last sentence. When I was there one day, a guy that had bought a H&K Tactical came in and requested to buy a compressor. Yep. We left laughing our ass off.
spurrit
Silent Operator

Post by spurrit »

I don't think the gun dealer in the original post was stupid, he was just erring on the side of caution. There are horror stories everywhere of gun dealers being set up by BATFE. The first one that comes to mind is of a gunsmith that was asked to shorten the barrels on a double barrel shotgun to the minimum legal length:

Mr. Gunsmith smelled bacon, so he did the job, BUT had folks witness the length, got notarised affidavits from them, and marked the inside of the barrel, near the end in a way that was not easily noticable. The BATFE agent picked up the gun, and the next day, Mr. Gunsmith was shut down! If not for his quick thinking, he'd be in jail! If not for this guy, the BATFE wouldn't be under the microscope, and would still be running around manufacturing evidence. (I'm sure they've COMPLETELY stopped! :roll: )

Most folks have never fired, handled, or even seen, up close, a class 3 weapon, and silencers are damn near a light saber to them. (They've seen 'em on T.V., but that don't mean they exist) I think one of the reason the NRA doesn't do more on the subject is that it's kind of the "red headed stepchild" of the gun issues. "If we don't bring it up, maybe they won't pester us about it" kinda mentality. Most folks don't think there's any NEED for class 3's or silencers, so they forget that they are our RIGHT. Nobody cares about losing rights they don't fear losing.

In conclusion, try to let people try your silencer out, let them find for themselves that it's not an "evil black gun" kinda thing. It's just fun! Whenever I go to an indoor range, I always try to take extra ammo and guns. If people get to shoot guns they may never be able or willing to afford, it makes shooting more fun. These are the people we can get to attend the NRA shooting events. If you see a wife sitting in the lobby while her hubby shoots his .44 mag., ask if she wants to shoot your .22! Let her know about women on target. Invite them to a match. Make sure they know how nice the local shooting community is. Tell the fat, lonely secretary where you work about women on target. Fat chicks need something to do! You can even point out that there'd be fewer lonely women if they hunted and fished!