Prairie Dogs + Colorado + Silencer = Good 2 go?

Hunting in general, or with a suppressor.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Prairie Dogs + Colorado + Silencer

No, it's against the hunting regs/laws (cited)
No votes
Perfectly ok within the hunting regs/laws
89%
Depends on where you go in Colorado, it's a mixture of the 2
11%
Something else off topic
No votes

Total votes: 9

Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

I've not found anything in the Colorado hunting regulations about silencers being used against prairie dogs being illegal. Does anyone else know otherwise?
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Re: Prairie Dogs + Colorado + Silencer = Good 2 go?

Post by jimmym40a2 »

You are good to go. I shoot them with silencers and have asked the DOW and they said it was OK.

When I went in to ask them the guy was looking at a suppressor catalog wondering about them and I sat down with him and talked about cans for about 15 minutes with 3 Dow guys.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEZJ_C4LwzA
atomchaser
Silent Operator

Post by atomchaser »

No offense, but I wouldn't risk arrest based on an opinon poll from an internet form. Send a letter to the game and fish department requesting a determination. If the response is favorable, keep a copy of the response letter with you when hunting with the silencer.
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

atomchaser wrote:No offense, but I wouldn't risk arrest based on an opinon poll from an internet form. Send a letter to the game and fish department requesting a determination. If the response is favorable, keep a copy of the response letter with you when hunting with the silencer.
No offense taken. I did a thorough read through of CO game regs and didn't find anything. This post/poll was just an extra layer of research in case I missed anything.
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

This is a letter sent to one of the guys in Colorado as he asked about hunting in Colorado with a suppressor.
There is nothing illegal hunting with a silencer on a rifle as long as it is legally owned and all the appropriate documentations accompany the “silenced” rifle as required by law as you mention below. The rifle has to meet all the qualifications for whatever species is being hunted as outlined in Wildlife Commission Regulations such as caliber restrictions, barrel length, total rounds held in the rifle for semi-automatic rifles, etc. As you mentioned short barreled rifles (SBR) are not legal to hunt with in Colorado. SBR’s cannot be used as pistols to hunt as questioned below.

As mentioned any “silenced” rifle must be registered in the National Firearms and Transfer Record as defined in the National Firearms Act and in federal law (27 CFR Part 479) and a permit issued to that person. A photocopy of approved permit should be carried by the owner when the weapon is being transported. Colorado statute defines a “silenced” firearm as a dangerous weapon and it illegal to possess with a couple of exceptions such as having a permit (Title 18, Article 12, C.R.S.)

I’m under the assumption that you have contacted the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives with the federal government and the Colorado Bureau of Investigation with the State of Colorado to see what permits, licenses and restriction there are for possessing and using a “silenced” rifle in Colorado.

Thanks!

Bob Thompson

Assistant Chief of Law Enforcement

Colorado Division of Wildlife

6060 Broadway, Denver, CO 80216

(303) 291-7342
I copied this and made a copy that I keep in my range bag.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEZJ_C4LwzA
Dogtired
Silent Operator

Post by Dogtired »

That letter pops up everywhere when you look for the SBR and hunting. The question that I have is in the small game brochure it does not restrict you from hunting small game with a SBR. It merely has a restriction on using a big game caliber during big game seasons. If you have a better direct quote from the DOW or from CO Statutes it would be appreciated.