SR15 E3 info

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderators: 3, KevinB

M1AJUNKIE

SR15 E3 info

Post by M1AJUNKIE »

I am thinking really hard about trading my scar 16s for a kac sr15 in the near future. No real reason as to why except I have somewhat lost interest in the scar. This will be a secondary rifle so proprietary parts are no worry to me.

Any reason not to trade the scar for the sr15?

Anyone running a newer kac sr15 e3? I have heard the recoil is extremely smooth, is this correct? I have never held one of these rifles before, but it looks like the lower has a bolt release on the right side, is this true?

Any issues running xm193 or various 77gr loadings?

What kind of groups are typical with the SR15? Does the sr15 e3 include a two stage trigger? I plan to run this with 4x acog as a recce type setup for use against torso sized steel to 500yds or so.

I plan to run the rifle suppressed, any users running suppressors? Any issues when suppressed?

Pics are always welcome, but the more I see these the more I want to get one.
MSTN
Senior Silent Operator

Re: SR15 E3 info

Post by MSTN »

I don't have a SCAR with which to compare, but I can state without reservation that I'm quite pleased with my own SR15 E3. I consider the SR15 E3 to be one of the very best complete 5.56MM carbines money can buy.

You're 100% correct about the smooth gas system. In fact, this is what motivated me to go to an intermediate length gas system (fraction of an inch longer than the KAC) in our Noveske stainless barrels.

I've shot everything from Black Hills 50 grain VMax (a very soft load) to BH 77 grain SMK with nary a malfunction in well over 2000 rd. The first group on paper when the gun was new went 1.25" for five at 100 yards. Since this is much better accuracy than all but the best ammo available, I consider this performance in a 6.5 pound carbine to be nothing short of superb.

Yes, this carbine has a 2-stage KAC trigger and ambi everything - safety, mag release, bolt release, even built-in QD sling mounting points on the lower receiver.

I have not run mine suppressed. If I were to do so, it would be with the lightest possible suppressor, in keeping with the theme of the weapon.

Pix:

We've sold quite a few of these, and not a single owner has been less than very pleased with the purchase.

Good shooting,

Wes Grant
MSTN

M1AJUNKIE wrote:I am thinking really hard about trading my scar 16s for a kac sr15 in the near future. No real reason as to why except I have somewhat lost interest in the scar. This will be a secondary rifle so proprietary parts are no worry to me.

Any reason not to trade the scar for the sr15?

Anyone running a newer kac sr15 e3? I have heard the recoil is extremely smooth, is this correct? I have never held one of these rifles before, but it looks like the lower has a bolt release on the right side, is this true?

Any issues running xm193 or various 77gr loadings?

What kind of groups are typical with the SR15? Does the sr15 e3 include a two stage trigger? I plan to run this with 4x acog as a recce type setup for use against torso sized steel to 500yds or so.

I plan to run the rifle suppressed, any users running suppressors? Any issues when suppressed?

Pics are always welcome, but the more I see these the more I want to get one.
Tom12.7
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tom12.7 »

I have a couple SR15s, I think they are the best complete rifle available now in the commercial market. You can run them harder and longer, especially suppressed than the others on the market. Recoil is very smooth and mild. Accuracy is pretty good as well. I do have some FN SCARs, the SR 15 won't make a SCAR a bad gun, but I feel they fell short on some things. I feel the SR15 is a better 5.56 gun.
Tom
n.franklin
Senior Silent Operator

Post by n.franklin »

Tom12.7 wrote:I have a couple SR15s, I think they are the best complete rifle available now in the commercial market. You can run them harder and longer, especially suppressed than the others on the market. Recoil is very smooth and mild. Accuracy is pretty good as well. I do have some FN SCARs, the SR 15 won't make a SCAR a bad gun, but I feel they fell short on some things. I feel the SR15 is a better 5.56 gun.
Tom
+1, If I didnt think the SCAR was worth making into an SBR I wouldve sold it to buy another SR15 (in taupe.)
Army Chief

Post by Army Chief »

Own both. Keeping both. Wouldn't want to trade one for the other, as I think they have different (and complimentary) strengths.

For my purposes, the SR is the hands-down favorite in a non-NFA gun (no question), though I think the SCAR offers some SBR potential that is probably unmatched in this class. I suspect that there are many SCAR owners out there who bought the weapon with the express purpose of bolting on a 10" barrel, and of course, our hopes on that front have yet to be realized; even so, the potential of this platform makes it a keeper in my view.

The Gen III KAC SBR may reshape my views on all of this once it becomes available, but as it stands right now, there is probably more wisdom is finding some other way to add an SR to your inventory than there is in selling off the SCAR in order to make that happen. If you've absolutely no interest in SBR/suppressed configurations, or are limited by the laws of your state, then a direct substitution might make a bit more sense, but I tend to think that the current political climate is such that I would be hesitant to part with any top tier black rifle -- even if it is to free up funds for another.

AC
M1AJUNKIE

Post by M1AJUNKIE »

Army Chief wrote:Own both. Keeping both. Wouldn't want to trade one for the other, as I think they have different (and complimentary) strengths.

For my purposes, the SR is the hands-down favorite in a non-NFA gun (no question), though I think the SCAR offers some SBR potential that is probably unmatched in this class. I suspect that there are many SCAR owners out there who bought the weapon with the express purpose of bolting on a 10" barrel, and of course, our hopes on that front have yet to be realized; even so, the potential of this platform makes it a keeper in my view.

The Gen III KAC SBR may reshape my views on all of this once it becomes available, but as it stands right now, there is probably more wisdom is finding some other way to add an SR to your inventory than there is in selling off the SCAR in order to make that happen. If you've absolutely no interest in SBR/suppressed configurations, or are limited by the laws of your state, then a direct substitution might make a bit more sense, but I tend to think that the current political climate is such that I would be hesitant to part with any top tier black rifle -- even if it is to free up funds for another.

AC

AC,

I have heavily debated sending my scar off to have the barrel cut to 10.5", but I hate to do that if there is even the slightest chance of factory short barrels in the future. I have an sbr on the want list, but that is behind the 5.56 can I plan to pick up this year.

The more I am thinking about it, the more I lean to keep the scar. The one I have is from the second production run so it has a low serial number and a high round count that I like.

Seeing more and more pics of the sr15's is making me want to save for one in the future.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

You need to hold and shoot the kac and the choice will be very clear. At least it was for me and my personal needs. :D
rob_s
Silent But Deadly

Post by rob_s »

I have, IIRC, 1200 rounds on an SR15 and ~200 on the SCAR. For me, for my needs, for my purposes, the SR15 would be my choice without hesitation.
WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET
Army Chief

Post by Army Chief »

M1AJUNKIE wrote:Seeing more and more pics of the sr15's is making me want to save for one in the future.
It's not even the pictures that sell the gun. It's the astonishment that rushes over you when you pick one up for the first time and realize that as a fully loaded package, it still weighs no more than a stripped-down Colt. I was absolutely dumbfounded, and had picked one up in only the mildest state of interest. 30 seconds later, I was convinced, and I bought one within two weeks. It's about as close to a "Saul on the road to Damascus" experience as I've ever had with a firearm.

The desire to own an SR is, to my way of thinking, both understandable and admirable. My only point is that I probably would find another way of funding the project. Knowing what I know now -- as heretical as it might be -- I would have even sold an M1A to fund it; that said, I still think there is a lovely CQB/SBR niche for the SCAR that keeps me from working any numbers that include putting mine on the auction block.

AC
MSTN
Senior Silent Operator

Post by MSTN »

If you do decide to put your SCAR up for auction, it will have a lot of company. There are over 60 SCAR-16's on GunBroker.

I think there's a message here.
Army Chief

Post by Army Chief »

MSTN wrote:I think there's a message here.
I suspect at least part of this is simply that the long hoped-for 10" factory CQB barrels haven't materialized -- nor do we seem to be any closer to an OEM equivalent.

AC
M1AJUNKIE

Post by M1AJUNKIE »

Army Chief wrote:
MSTN wrote:I think there's a message here.
I suspect at least part of this is simply that the long hoped-for 10" factory CQB barrels haven't materialized -- nor do we seem to be any closer to an OEM equivalent.

AC
This is the biggest reason I have been thinking of selling.

I am not sure I want to risk cutting the scar barrel as there is such a "voodoo" about cutting chromelined barrels, I am afraid I may have something go wrong. In order to do so, I would have to register my current receiver as an SBR and basically be stuck with it for life. The scar would make the perfect sbr I think, I just want to do it with a factory barrel.
titom110

Post by titom110 »

If you ask me i will go for the sr15 couple of reasons;

Amazing craftmanship, lightweight, accurate, and technology.
Have had the opportunity to handle and shoot one and very reliable,
also had the honor to visit the company and their attention to detail is incredible and has seen many of their new goodies that eventually they will release when they are ready.

As for the scar also very lightweight but little aftermarket accessories and lot of promises form FN for barrels availlability and modular accessories which has ended in nothing, only dissapponted buyers, not saying is a bad product just bad marketing.

Going back to KAC, very happy with my sr25 and you have to have one to understand why the price and nothing to fear from other companies.
Neogumby

Post by Neogumby »

I own an SR-15 and I absolutely love it. Its operation is extremely smooth, and I've never had a single malfunction. The ambi-bolt release is nice but the dust cover partially covers it when open, which can be a problem if you have bigger fingers.

I've run light and heavy loads through it without any issue.

It does have a two-stage trigger. I've never taken it past 100 yards, but it keeps a nice grouping.

This was one of the factory tan ones. It came with a tan pmag, 3 long Knight's rail covers, a short rail cover, a Knight's vertical foregrip, and an LMT crane stock. The fold away front sight post is really nice if you have optics, and the rear sight post was really nice while I was saving for my holographic.
MichaelVain
Senior Silent Operator

Post by MichaelVain »

That's a nice looking rifle, I really like that color.
new-arguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by new-arguy »

I have both a SCAR 16 and a SR15 E3. I have had the E3 for a while now, I have only just recently bought the SCAR. I added the PWS extension rail and had the barrel cut to whatever length turned out to be 16" with a pinned SF muzzle bake. I shot the SCAR for the first time a week ago while running drills with friends. I know I need to give the SCAR some more trigger time, but I didn't like the way it shot and it feels rather bulky. I am sure some of this has to do with how used to the AR platform I am. Accuracy was fine, it did not malfunction. But it seemed to me that there was a lot of wobble on the gun while recoiling. Much more than I am used to. I shot it with the silencer, and without. I played with the gas settings, nothing really helped. We will see.

The E3 feels excellent, it shoots excellent, cycles great, is accurate... I don't have a complaint about it. I don't want to sell the SCAR, but I would take the E3 before it.
www.gungalleryjax.com
904-641-1619 - ask for Neil
Selling guns, changing people's lives