AWC Suppressors Opinions

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

renov8

AWC Suppressors Opinions

Post by renov8 »

Any opinions on the raider or thundertrap?

Looking at both of them.

Not sure which is the better option.

Thanks,

Renov8
DesertRat
Senior Silent Operator

Re: AWC Suppressors Opinions

Post by DesertRat »

I've had a Thundertrap for about 10 years. At the time I bought it, it was probably the best centerfire rifle can available. The state of the art has advanced since then.

I am currently waiting on the ATF to approve the Form 4 for my Cyclone.

The Thundertrap is impressively quiet, but it is heavy. Comparing it side-by-side with my new Cyclone the weight difference is considerable. Damn near a pound. This is very noticeable on the end of an 18 to 20 inch barrel. According to the numbers I've seen, the cyclone is about 5 dB quieter than the Thundertrap as well. Another disadvantage of the Thundertrap is that it has a relatively tight bore. Subsonic ammo is not recommended for the Thundertrap.

Get a Cyclone. It is lighter, quieter, and less expensive than the Thundertrap.

I have no experience with the Raider, but I have an AAC M4-2000 Mod 08. I am very happy with it and would recommend over anything else for a 5.56 can.

ETA: If you live in Montana, I can offer you a smokin' deal on a lightly used Thundertrap. :lol:
Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.
Give a man a bank and he can rob the entire world.
Sigproshooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sigproshooter »

Overpriced,,overweight,,, 80's tech,,,,, arrogant and over rated.

I'll make you a smokin' deal on a Spectrum 2000. Seriously,,
Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death.
Sun Tzu
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

I love my AWC Mk9 subgun can :P it's now over 20 years old still quiet and though large it has delivered....

My ACC cylone blows away my buddies AWC Thundertrap can - smaller lighter quieter

When I had an incident and had to have AWC rebuild my Mk9
- they were rude, unsympathic, charged as much as my can cost to buy initially
and I don't plan on ever buying from them in the future.

Nuf said
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
renov8

Post by renov8 »

Thanks for the input. I do like hearing from others with differing views and insights.

I am having a tough time finding one line of cans that will fit the bill. It appears that AAC comes up a lot as being reliable, quiet and, problem free. I am staying away from the QD mounts. Too many issues with baffle strikes and carbon build up. It looks like the threaded mount is by far the most reliable and effective. The last thing I want to do is shoot a few rounds and then return the can for repairs. I have read too many of you having that as the primary issue.

Thanks again for your input.

Renov8
Confucius says "Baseball have it all wrong, man with four balls can't walk."
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

renov8 wrote:Thanks for the input. I do like hearing from others with differing views and insights.

I am having a tough time finding one line of cans that will fit the bill. It appears that AAC comes up a lot as being reliable, quiet and, problem free. I am staying away from the QD mounts. Too many issues with baffle strikes and carbon build up. It looks like the threaded mount is by far the most reliable and effective. The last thing I want to do is shoot a few rounds and then return the can for repairs. I have read too many of you having that as the primary issue.

Thanks again for your input.

Renov8
Confucius says "Baseball have it all wrong, man with four balls can't walk."
AAC, Knights ARmament, Surefire, Silencerco, SWR, Liberty, etc.. lots of better brands than AWC currently.

Also, i think you are way overthinking the QD thing- QD mount from a good company doesn't mean baffle strikes. You are just as likely to get baffle strikes with a thread on can in general. The main factors in baffle strikes are 1. barrel threading issues and 2. bullet instability.

And most well-designed mounts break any carbon buildup as they are mounted/unmounted.
Kick Ass Design
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Thread mounts sometimes unscrew as you shoot, and so you are always worried about it - as that will lead to a baffle strike.
Bandit
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bandit »

JasonAAC wrote: Also, i think you are way overthinking the QD thing- QD mount from a good company doesn't mean baffle strikes. You are just as likely to get baffle strikes with a thread on can in general. The main factors in baffle strikes are 1. barrel threading issues and 2. bullet instability.
QD mounts can cause baffle strikes too. We all seen what happened on a AAC QD 308 can used to shoot 223 thru it.
Remember the one here where the QD was machined wrong ? :?
Bottom line is any can could get a baffle strike. Depends on the threads and in the case of a previous thread here, a QD mount could be machined wrong.

If you're not part of the solution, you're not only "part" of the problem but, you "are" the problem.
okent
Silent But Deadly

Post by okent »

I have a raider and a M4-2000.
raider is heavier and louder and prone to strikes.
I will not buy another awc product or another thread on can for a semi/full auto centerfire as the QD mounts are great.
FWIW my raider has unscrewed many times both with the nord-loc washers and without.
I rarely shoot it anymore and when I do I use teflon tape around the threads.
The M4-2000 has been seriously abused and no problems whatsoever in the couple years I have had it.

edited to add that my customer service experiences have been poor like the previous posts.