AAC SCAR-HD with holes???

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

copenhagen
Silent But Deadly

Re: AAC SCAR-HD with holes???

Post by copenhagen »

Cyclic rate applies to semi auto also. It is a factor that effects rifle reliability. If the bolt moves too fast, the magazine spring cannot put a round in place quickly enough.
I do not own a SCAR H or a SCAR H suppressor. My 7.62 SD on my POF 308 does not cause the bolt to move too fast to grab another round. Does the SCAR H rifle and SCAR H suppressor combination have this problem with the suppressor is in its virgin un-drilled format?
I don't think this was Crane's idea.
Do you know who's idea this was? Just curious.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Yes, I know. In general terms, when you want to lower the cyclic rate of a rifle, there are two ways to do it. You can modify the rifle's gas system, or you can drill holes in the silencer. If you are a silencer company, you want to modify the rifle to be designed for the silencer.
lostwasthechild
Silent But Deadly

Post by lostwasthechild »

Robert,

It had to be Crane. The end user's got them like this, and if AAC didn't, who else would have? I'm going to look a little deeper into it from Crane's end.

Lost
shocknawe
Silent Operator

Post by shocknawe »

silencertalk wrote:Yes, I know. In general terms, when you want to lower the cyclic rate of a rifle, there are two ways to do it. You can modify the rifle's gas system, or you can drill holes in the silencer. If you are a silencer company, you want to modify the rifle to be designed for the silencer.
this is very cleverly worded unless I'm reading too far between the lines.
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

lostwasthechild wrote:The end user's got them like this, and if AAC didn't, who else would have?
There's only three parties involved.

You haven't come to the last one yet.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

57fairlane wrote:
lostwasthechild wrote:The end user's got them like this, and if AAC didn't, who else would have?
There's only three parties involved.

You haven't come to the last one yet.

abcde F ghijklm N opqrstuvwxyz ?
lostwasthechild
Silent But Deadly

Post by lostwasthechild »

Yeah, I know FN could definitely be to blame also. I just know that not ALL of them were delivered like this, which is why I'm trying to hustle crane for some answers.
Ctaylor
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ctaylor »

Sounds like something FN would do.

FN engineer:"Hey boss we're about to send those mk17 packages off to Crane, but we just noticed that the AAC silencers increase cyclic rate a little too much, should we change the gas port size for the suppressed setting?"

Boss: "F--k no!! That would mean we'd have to retool the line and admit we screwed up, do something cheaper to get it working"

Engineer: "Well there's not much else we can do beside drilling holes in the suppressors, but that would be stu..."

Boss: "Sounds great, do that"
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

Ctaylor wrote:Sounds like something FN would do.

FN engineer:"Hey boss we're about to send those mk17 packages off to Crane, but we just noticed that the AAC silencers increase cyclic rate a little too much, should we change the gas port size for the suppressed setting?"

Boss: "F--k no!! That would mean we'd have to retool the line and admit we screwed up, do something cheaper to get it working"

Engineer: "Well there's not much else we can do beside drilling holes in the suppressors, but that would be stu..."

Boss: "Sounds great, do that"
Yeah, that, except more snooty and in a french accent.
FJagr

Post by FJagr »

An now, as if by coincidence, FN has now tested their new suppressor against the drilled AAC suppressor...can you guess which way that testing was weighted....

Things that make you go, hmmmmm....
copenhagen
Silent But Deadly

Post by copenhagen »

Well that sounds like AAC needs to do some counter testing with un-molested suppressors. In my opinion, it may be prudent if AAC could offer a cost effective solution to the rifle to counter act the alleged need for molestation of AAC's fine suppressors.
CharlieBravo
Silent Operator

Post by CharlieBravo »

Is that a reflex type suppressor or is it a really short barrel? It looks awesome to me but I've always liked the concept of reflex cans.
Ctaylor
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ctaylor »

The SCAR-HD is a reflex can, think of it like a 7.62 SPR-M4. (I'm sure there are differences other than caliber and the mount though.)
bigbigpig
Silent But Deadly

Post by bigbigpig »

I thought FN and AAC worked together to deliver the rifle and suppressor as a complete system... no?
Hootiewho
Super Dunce

Post by Hootiewho »

Here's the issue I see. I own a SCAR 16 & 17. Both have been SBR'd to 10" & 13" respectively. I did an extensive write up and eval of the 16. This series of rifles is the easiest rifle on the planet to custom tune the gas system. There is no "re-tool" involved. The gas port is a removible item, that fits into the gas block as a set screw. The "cyclic rate" could be modified by either A.) reaming the actual gas port until you have an ideal cyclic rate for the rifle or B.) playing with the input hole diameter on the gas pistol selector so you have whatever volume of gas you desire per gas selector position. I have reamed several gas ports to make the rifles function at the desired cyclic rate. I have test equipment that I used to check this. I have found the SCAR FOW to be one of the most suppressor friendly FOW availible to date. I do have a friend in Naval SOF who told me the AAC can shot sparks out in a star shaped pattern from around the mount visible at night. This man is very turned on, and would have noticed holes drilled in his can. He mentioned no holes.

As flexible & easily adjustible as the SCAR is as far as gas systems go, I just cannot see why anyone would drill holes in the can to compensate of being over gassed in the gun. I would be willing to bet this is an inhouse, "we got this system, & with these two components together, it's not working like we want, lets try this".

We're these delivered to actual in theatre units? Any chance this was a "demil" of sorts to cans that may have been found to be problematic?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Hootiewho wrote:Here's the issue I see. I own a SCAR 16 & 17. Both have been SBR'd to 10" & 13" respectively. I did an extensive write up and eval of the 16. This series of rifles is the easiest rifle on the planet to custom tune the gas system. There is no "re-tool" involved. The gas port is a removible item, that fits into the gas block as a set screw. The "cyclic rate" could be modified by either A.) reaming the actual gas port until you have an ideal cyclic rate for the rifle or B.) playing with the input hole diameter on the gas pistol selector so you have whatever volume of gas you desire per gas selector position. I have reamed several gas ports to make the rifles function at the desired cyclic rate. I have test equipment that I used to check this. I have found the SCAR FOW to be one of the most suppressor friendly FOW availible to date. I do have a friend in Naval SOF who told me the AAC can shot sparks out in a star shaped pattern from around the mount visible at night. This man is very turned on, and would have noticed holes drilled in his can. He mentioned no holes.

As flexible & easily adjustible as the SCAR is as far as gas systems go, I just cannot see why anyone would drill holes in the can to compensate of being over gassed in the gun. I would be willing to bet this is an inhouse, "we got this system, & with these two components together, it's not working like we want, lets try this".

We're these delivered to actual in theatre units? Any chance this was a "demil" of sorts to cans that may have been found to be problematic?
Yes forward units have them in this condition. Demil is cutting it into pieces, not a couple holes.

-B
Hootiewho
Super Dunce

Post by Hootiewho »

10-4, that's wild. I purchased extra gas ports from browning just for the purpose of trying to get my guns to run as close to optimal when my designated can comes in. I just can't imagine why this was not done, but I do know that I am an outsider. As to how/why things like this are done is way beyond my paygrade & profession. I do imagine those holes would be hell on NODs though.

Carry on