ATF Ruling on repacking cans or the Chore Boy Menace

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Racer
Silent But Deadly

ATF Ruling on repacking cans or the Chore Boy Menace

Post by Racer »

This ATF letter is dated Nov 26, 2010 but I searched and did not see it posted here. It might be of interest to folks since it seems to make repacking cans not something the end user can do. It still "exempts" wipe replacement from a making tax. http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-n ... nace-video
Dave
rat_dogratty
Silent But Deadly

Re: ATF Ruling on repacking cans or the Chore Boy Menace

Post by rat_dogratty »

Not good... :(
ROFuher
Silent But Deadly

Post by ROFuher »

One wonders if the attorney's client ever considered storing the pads with the rest of his kitchen cleaning supplies. We really are our own worst enemies sometimes.
continuity-TROOPER, 2016
DesertRat
Senior Silent Operator

Post by DesertRat »

Why the F--k would someone have an attorney contact ATF about this?

Either this fucktard is unable to go through his day without the direction and consent of a bureaucrat or he will go to extreme lengths to prove to others that he is smarter than everyone else.

Either way, this stupid F--k needs to be clubbed in the head with a shovel before he breeds.
Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.
Give a man a bank and he can rob the entire world.
John Titsworth
Silent But Deadly

Post by John Titsworth »

This is lovely :roll: . This ruling from the same agency that thinks those slide fire stocks don't convert a weapon into a machine gun but thinks cleaning pads are silencers. I once put the end of my unsuppressed 10/22 barrel into an armadillo hole in the ground and fired the weapon. There was no sound other than the action noise, so I guess now the earth is a silencer. Phil Dater of Gemtech put a potato on the end of a Ruger MK2 and fired it and got 30dB of reduction, so now all potatoes need serial numbers and form 2's. What about super long barrels (Metro shotgun barrels w/subsonic shotshells)? Everyone knows that a 34" barrel on a 22LR with subsonic ammo is about 120dB, so long barrels should be silencers too...give me a break. :evil:
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

I would think in a court of law they will have a tough time saying you and replace the wipe with another wipe and you can make your own wipes but you can't take out the old chore boy mesh and put in new chore boy mesh.

And if you took your can to a SOT and had him put the chore boy in the can, what paperwork would he have to file if no other modification(s) are done to the can? - ie no caliber change, no change of length - just stuff in some chore boy around the existing K baffle...
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
Mageever
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mageever »

Can you believe our tax dollars are paid for people in our government to perform this type of critical thinking???

To give the bureaucrat the benefit of the doubt, they were at least put in this place by a series of bad decisions on the ATFs part. The decision to consider any silencer component a silencer in and of itself was a bad start. After that any decision that is made is akin to a lie to cover up another lie. It just keeps more and more ridiculous.
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

John Titsworth wrote:This is lovely :roll: . This ruling from the same agency that thinks those slide fire stocks don't convert a weapon into a machine gun but thinks cleaning pads are silencers. I once put the end of my unsuppressed 10/22 barrel into an armadillo hole in the ground and fired the weapon. There was no sound other than the action noise, so I guess now the earth is a silencer. Phil Dater of Gemtech put a potato on the end of a Ruger MK2 and fired it and got 30dB of reduction, so now all potatoes need serial numbers and form 2's. What about super long barrels (Metro shotgun barrels w/subsonic shotshells)? Everyone knows that a 34" barrel on a 22LR with subsonic ammo is about 120dB, so long barrels should be silencers too...give me a break. :evil:
Hyberpole Alert. Doesn't help anything.
copenhagen
Silent But Deadly

Post by copenhagen »

After that any decision that is made is akin to a lie to cover up another lie. It just keeps more and more ridiculous.
:lol:
I once put the end of my unsuppressed 10/22 barrel into an armadillo hole in the ground and fired the weapon. There was no sound other than the action noise, so I guess now the earth is a silencer.
So now you are in possession of an unregistered firearms silencer, Tits, you little felon you.
John Titsworth
Silent But Deadly

Post by John Titsworth »

copenhagen wrote:
After that any decision that is made is akin to a lie to cover up another lie. It just keeps more and more ridiculous.
:lol:
I once put the end of my unsuppressed 10/22 barrel into an armadillo hole in the ground and fired the weapon. There was no sound other than the action noise, so I guess now the earth is a silencer.
So now you are in possession of an unregistered firearms silencer, Tits, you little felon you.

haha! :D
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

DesertRat wrote:Why the F--k would someone have an attorney contact ATF about this?

Either this fucktard is unable to go through his day without the direction and consent of a bureaucrat or he will go to extreme lengths to prove to others that he is smarter than everyone else.

Either way, this stupid F--k needs to be clubbed in the head with a shovel before he breeds.
You deserve the Ernest Hemingway award for to-the-point, punch-in-the-gut expression of my sentiments
with your " ...unable to go through his day without the direction and consent of a bureaucrat.."
I applaud you, man!

A Heavy Metal Magazine image flashed through my mind: Some one should make a STFU branding iron to be used
on the butts of, as Rush puts it, the Obamacized New Castrati.
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

Yep the letter writers are at it again!