homemade silencer

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

alex_152

homemade silencer

Post by alex_152 »

hello im am going to build my own silencer i really need some tips like what material i would use.
mayby som drawings to. i am going to use it om my 6,5x55 and i am not going to use a muzzle brakes. i want it to be quiet and durable. thats the design i am most intressed in.
sorry my bad english i am from sweden.
http://www.google.se/imgres?q=suppresso ... 29,r:4,s:0
vz58
Silent Operator

Re: homemade silencer

Post by vz58 »

What tools do you have access to? Mill,lathe,welders?
alex_152

Post by alex_152 »

vz58 wrote:What tools do you have access to? Mill,lathe,welders?
i have acces to welder, lathe.
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

As far as materials go, 316 stainless is pretty common.
PaulNoiseLess
Silent But Deadly

Post by PaulNoiseLess »

Hi,

Follow this link: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895

Wicked is compiling there all Form 1 Can builds so far. For sure you'll find something similar and usefull Canss for you Krag.

Best,

Paul
The future is not waiting for us, it is waiting within us ...
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

Here is what my 308 silencer looks like. It is a 1.75" x 9" 304 stainless .050" tube with welded end caps. The baffles are 304 about .040" thick with a blast baffle about .080". The bore varies from about .340" to .380"

Ranb
SilencerTalk was a place I could disccuss making registered silencers without being told I was a criminal. That is no longer true. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=99273
alex_152

Post by alex_152 »

ranb wrote:Here is what my 308 silencer looks like. It is a 1.75" x 9" 304 stainless .050" tube with welded end caps. The baffles are 304 about .040" thick with a blast baffle about .080". The bore varies from about .340" to .380"

Ranb
do you have spacers between the baffles??
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

The spacers are shown as green lines and are only between the last two baffles and in the blast chamber.

Ranb
SilencerTalk was a place I could disccuss making registered silencers without being told I was a criminal. That is no longer true. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=99273
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

the cone is the spacer
NP
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

Both cone baffles have small spacers machined into them.

Ranb
silencer_kid
Silent But Deadly

Post by silencer_kid »

if the baffles stack like that then you need gas ports to allow the gas into the other areas like this:
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

They do. I also have a port in each K baffle in front. I've abandon K's for center fire rifles, using clipped cones now.

Ranb
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

Ranb: You've got a good design. Just currious why you used the spacer in the second to last chamber? Many builds tighten the spacing near the end.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

It was a way to adjust the length of the blast chamber. I don't remember how it actually came out on the lathe, I sometimes deviate a lot from the drawings I make.

Ranb
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

ranb wrote:It was a way to adjust the length of the blast chamber. I don't remember how it actually came out on the lathe, I sometimes deviate a lot from the drawings I make.
Ranb
The first spacer should have adjusted the blast length.
Do you have a link to your build here?
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

I thought I had posted about that build, but I couldn't find it.

Here is a 5.56 build I helped a guy with. It uses a similar cone and K baffle arrangement. I'll be going with a cone/spacer build for my next 5.56 and 300 blackout builds. I have to come up with a suitable design for a 50 spotter-tracer in the near future. It will probably be a 2" x 14" can similar to my 50 bmg.

Randy
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Beautiful work, but strange vent hole placement: near bottom of skirt instead of opposite waist; and low down on the mouth instead of at the lip. How did it perform compared to traditional placement?

I particularly like your blast cone. Lots of turbulence.
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

No idea, no meter here. Few silencers to compare to also. Owner likes it though.

Randy
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

If 5 or more people have heard them 1 after the other, then that is a statistically significant sample.
Most of us have 2 meters arranged at 180*. Hopefully there were several people at the range and you shot multiple units. People tend to gather 'round suppressors. So hopefully you attracted a group and queried them as to their observations.
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

I don't attract much of a crowd anymore as compared to ten years ago when I let police officers op check my cans; before the attorney general wrote and said that they were not actually exempt from prosecution (pre-2011) for using them. I have compared mine to a few commercial cans, results were mixed. Your idea is a good one though.

Randy