Whitney

Discuss anything with like-minded people.
No posting of copyrighted material.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

silencertalk
Site Admin

Whitney

Post by silencertalk »

I feel like there are two Americas. I have heard of Whitney Houston, but I could not name or recognize one of her songs.

Who is it who listens to her music? She sold 170 million albums - to who?

I don't get the demographic.
stevejobs
Silent But Deadly

Re: Whitney

Post by stevejobs »

She's pop, basically. Big in the 80s when I was a kid. She was one of those artists played constantly on the radio, like Bruce Springsteen or Tina Turner (80s era pop stuff, MTV, etc). But she didn't do anything significant during the last 10-15 years.
SuperChuck
Senior Silent Operator

Post by SuperChuck »

She played in "The Bodyguard" with Kevin Costner and sang "I Will Always Love You" which was sung in a country version/flavor by Dolly Parton.

She married another 80's singer, Bobby Brown, who was considered the Bad Boy of the relationship, which ended up either rubbing off on her or finally led to the tarnishing of her image and loss of marketable skills.

She tried a comeback, but never took hold, and it seems that the better part of her talent was lost in the mid-years while she struggled with her own personal demons. A famous quote from an interview during that persiod... when asked if she was on drugs, or was taking / doing Crack, her response was an incredulous "Crack is wack" statement which I believe was followed up with an arrest or a stint in rehab for.. of all things, cocaine and crack cocaine addiction....

As with most celebrities the leeches and entourages think you can do no wrong on your way up, the sycophants and enablers all live off of the largess of success, but in her decline, all those human ramora cast their lots on the next shinings stars and leave the extinguishing ones to die alone in hotel rooms....

The movie and music industries are so anti-moralistic, I always wonder about a society that can sensationalize the lifestyles that lead to such volatile endings...

SC
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

She was pretty and had a great voice.
And she died.
It took a whole 45 minutes before my wife and I were sick of the "Breaking News" alerts about the death of Whitney Houston.
The media will feed on this for days until the next big thing comes along.
July 5th, 2016. The day that we moved from a soft tyranny to a hard tyranny.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I have not watched TV since she before she died.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

bakerjw wrote:...
It took a whole 45 minutes before my wife and I were sick of the "Breaking News" alerts about the death of Whitney Houston.
The media will feed on this for days until the next big thing comes along.
Maybe it's all just a big show to distract the TV masses from the evil the Obamalord is doing in the land.

Who will they sacrifice next? :shock:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
jreinke
Silent But Deadly

Post by jreinke »

Breaking news! Police say she died of a) a drug over dose, b) drowning in her bathtub, or c) both a & b. Boo Hoo :roll:
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member1236.png[/img][/url]
Buzduk
Silent But Deadly

Post by Buzduk »

We are the minority of our country. The majority watches s--t like Jersey Shore and the Cardashians. What do you expect a populous like that to act like or more scarey vote like ! And that is the greatest and worst thing about our country, the dipshits and scumbags have a right to their opinion just like we do. It just so happens that there are a lot more of those people out there then I had once anticipated!
Matt
Form4
01 FFL / 03 SOT
(631) 721-6201
http://form4.org/
Wahoo95
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahoo95 »

silencertalk wrote:I feel like there are two Americas. I have heard of Whitney Houston, but I could not name or recognize one of her songs.

I don't get the demographic.
You should get out more.....try adding a little diversity to your life ;)
Go Hoos!!!!
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I guess MTV was big before the internet. We could not afford cable back then - or at least chose to pay off the mortgage instead. Others bought the big TV, considered cable a necessity, collected food stamps, and got a mortgage bailout. I have heard of people who helped the poor quit because they saw that they had nicer cars than they did.
Schulze
Silent But Deadly

Post by Schulze »

No loss
copenhagen
Silent But Deadly

Post by copenhagen »

silencertalk:
I feel like there are two Americas. I have heard of Whitney Houston, but I could not name or recognize one of her songs.
This is also how I felt when Michael Jackson died.
Russian
Silent But Deadly

xx

Post by Russian »

xx
Last edited by Russian on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maser
Silent But Deadly

Post by Maser »

I grow so damn tired of people not giving a s--t about someone until they're dead and then they fall all over them like they were the greatest thing ever. Can't stand phoney baloney people! :x
My intelligence is like a suppressed rimfire pistol. You may not be able to hear it, but it certainly always hits its mark.
starlingstalker
Silent But Deadly

Post by starlingstalker »

Maser wrote:I grow so damn tired of people not giving a s--t about someone until they're dead and then they fall all over them like they were the greatest thing ever. Can't stand phoney baloney people! :x
That houseful of hypocritical entertainers at the Grammys wouldn't have gotten their hands even slightly dirty even if they had a crystal ball of this future tragedy. So much woe is me about her passing on without lifting a premeditated finger to help someone that requires BETTER judgment is a low blow. The crocodile tears were abundant. What a bunch of backstabbers.
In 2 weeks, then 2 months it will be Whitney who? And she will be forgotten except for a blurb of a song here and there on the news whatever. She surely did have the voice of an angel. A pity that it's gone. Same thing with Michael. A consummate entertainer but a real life dork hanging babies over balconies and general lack of good judgement. Even Jimi Hendrix ODed but it was not the drugs but aspiration of vomit that got him - the best guitar genius IMHO, ever. So, Jimi, I luv my Purple Haze, but, why did Your guitar have to go? :cry:
At least good pot has NEVER killed anyone in the history of the world. But for poor Whitney just like Elvis and good ole Michael, prescription meds will get You if no one else is watching.
So, for her, taking a warm drowning bath with Xanax, anyone?
starlingstalker :D
Ban weapons, not firearms!
It may ONLY be a dollar but its STILL a Sux Tax!
Pssst, so let's change this infringing UNConstitutional Law!
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Russian wrote:If you didn't like her music, you're not a fan of 80s and 90s pop music.
You mean not a fan of bad pop music.

The Beatles to me are mostly not Rock so they must be pop. But it is good.

REM is from the 1980s and not Rock so it must be pop.

Cranberries - 10,000 Maniacs - not Rock. What are they? They are good music is what they are.
Russian
Silent But Deadly

xx

Post by Russian »

xx
Last edited by Russian on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Schulze
Silent But Deadly

Post by Schulze »

I like 80's pop and I do not care for Whitney's material. Her singing is of course very good, but the lyrics of her songs are generic and uninteresting.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Russian wrote:I'm guessing that you prefer music with guitars and don't like Madonna, Britney Spears, Michael Jackson or Janet Jackson. I consider Britney Spears the weakest of the four, but they're all extremely popular Pop singers. So if you don't like any of them, you probably don't like Pop.
I like maybe two Britney songs. No Madonna songs. Maybe 1 or 2 Michael Jackson songs, and I have no idea what a Janet Jackson song is.
Russian
Silent But Deadly

xx

Post by Russian »

xx
Last edited by Russian on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Russian wrote:
silencertalk wrote:I like maybe two Britney songs. No Madonna songs. Maybe 1 or 2 Michael Jackson songs, and I have no idea what a Janet Jackson song is.
My favorite Janet Jackson songs are Escapade and Come Back to Me. I also like Rhthym Nation, Nasty, What Have You Done for Me Lately, Miss You Much, Alright, Let's Wait Awhile and The Pleasure Principle.

Link to video for Escapade:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFX3gQHIroU&ob=av2e

Link to video for Come Back to Me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5ecZWwO_hQ&ob=av2n

ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

.....I want to go back and change my vote on the Russian vs. Quicksue thread!
-----
Ick
Schulze
Silent But Deadly

Post by Schulze »

silencertalk wrote:
Russian wrote:I'm guessing that you prefer music with guitars and don't like Madonna, Britney Spears, Michael Jackson or Janet Jackson. I consider Britney Spears the weakest of the four, but they're all extremely popular Pop singers. So if you don't like any of them, you probably don't like Pop.
I like maybe two Britney songs. No Madonna songs. Maybe 1 or 2 Michael Jackson songs, and I have no idea what a Janet Jackson song is.
You don't like La Isla Bonita or Like a Prayer? Pfft!
Russian
Silent But Deadly

xx

Post by Russian »

xx
Last edited by Russian on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zulusierra
Silent Operator

Post by zulusierra »

silencertalk wrote: I have heard of Whitney Houston, but I could not name or recognize one of her songs.

If this is a troll, 8/10.

If not, I have a couple questions.

From 1986-2012 did you avoid radio? Social situations? Parties? Television? Movies?

Not knowing Whitney Houston is akin to not knowing Pink Floyd, Marvin Gaye, Dwight Yoakam, Guns & Roses, etc...

Honestly, do you have a social or developmental disorder such as Aspergers?

Did you grow up Amish?

:?: :!: :!: :!: :?: :?: :?: :!: :?: