Respect?

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade

Maser
Silent But Deadly

Respect?

Post by Maser »

So it's been awhile since my last rant and I have a good one this time that I think we all can relate to in someway shape or form. It's about respect and how it's given. I grow so tired of hearing the whole "respect your elders" bullshit. I'm a firm believer that respect has to be earned and NOT given away automatically. I also grow tired of people thinking they deserve respect when they don't have respect for anyone else. If you believe that elders should get respect automatically then think Osama Bin Laden. He was an elder. Did you respect him?

Rant over.
My intelligence is like a suppressed rimfire pistol. You may not be able to hear it, but it certainly always hits its mark.
JohnnyC
Silent But Deadly

Re: Respect?

Post by JohnnyC »

You know your "rants" suck right?
Maser
Silent But Deadly

Post by Maser »

Well, my life isn't shitty enough to come up with extreme rants. 8)
My intelligence is like a suppressed rimfire pistol. You may not be able to hear it, but it certainly always hits its mark.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

It's true, they do suck but I'm thinking about changing my position on the rants not being legendary as self proclaimed.

They legendarily suck.

Things that suck
  • #10 Stubbed toes

#9 This post

#8 This video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbaTur4A1OU#!

#7 Brain freeze

#6 Fat chicks jogging in bikinis

#5 Democrats

#4 Maser's rants

#3 Nose picking waiters

#2 Anti-gun morons (yes, I know that's redundant)

#1 Obama
Maser's rants suck so bad they don't even suck enough to make the top of the list.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Blaubart
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaubart »

Epic rant? I don't see it...

Without exception, ALL of the people I've come across in life who complain about respecting their elders, have also been the most selfish people I've met. Nothing has changed since stumbling across this thread.

When people refer to respecting your elders, as in showing respect to someone who is older than you even though you don't know anything else about them, it's largely for that reason: You don't know anything about them. Some of your elders fought in WWII, the Korean War, Vietnam, Desert Storm, Afghanistan, Iraq, etc. Some of your elders lost family members in those wars. Most of your elders worked and paid taxes that made it so you could go to school. Someone who is old enough to be your parent designed your favorite bed sheets. Your elders have earned the respect that's due to them.

Let me put this in terms that you can relate to. If you love yourself, then you should be thankful, and show respect, to those who came before you. Because without them, and their contributions and sacrifices, you would not be alive today.

The only problem I have with the whole respect your elders thing is that I respect EVERYONE as a person. I respect some people more than others, including my elders, but I do have some respect for everyone. Yes, even people who have Transformer sheets, and even Osama Bin Laden. I respect him as a person, and an enemy. If I ever met him in person, of course I'd kill the fucker on the spot. But after killing him, I wouldn't s--t in his mouth even though he probably deserves it.
Maser wrote:Well, my life isn't shitty enough to come up with extreme rants. 8)
Then thank your elders...
"And by the way, if you're gonna take up a hobby of letter writing, you might want to learn how to spell "writing" you stupid F--k." - Nighthawk re kwikrnu
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

It's not that the Irish are cynical. It's rather that they have a wonderful lack of respect for everything and everybody.
-Brendan Behan
-----
Ick
Maser
Silent But Deadly

Post by Maser »

Blaubart wrote: When people refer to respecting your elders, as in showing respect to someone who is older than you even though you don't know anything else about them, it's largely for that reason: You don't know anything about them.
EXACTLY!! That's why you take the time to get to know eachother before developing an opinion based on their age alone. Here's a simple example seeing as this is a gun forum and pro-NFA forum as well. The average gun owner will NEVER even hold a machine gun in their entire life (outside Military service). I myself shot a Thompson M1 when I was only 7 years old and have been shooting MGs ever since when visiting my uncle. Does that make me a know-it-all? Certainly not, but it sure doesn't make me inexperienced. One of the nicest older friends I have is a WW2 Vet who's confined to a wheelchair, but yet still gets out to the rifle range as often as he can and I always talk with him. I have an insane amount of respect for him. Main reason is because he's never once put me down or my generation down due to our age. In fact he's actually gave me kudos on my generation being more difficult than his was because it was such a simpler time back then unlike the fast paced times we live in now.

I can deal with trolls on the internet who pull this bullshit with me, but I am growing tired of having to deal with it from other parents in real life who are older than me, but have kids the same age as mine. I try and get along for the sake of our kid's friendships with eachother, but it grows old people automatically thinking I don't know s--t all because I'm young. None of these people will spend time to get to know me outside of our kid's playdates, but they sure as F--k feel the need to build an entire profile on me based on just my age alone. Believe it or not, I'm a really easy guy to get along with. 8)
Blaubart
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaubart »

Maser wrote:I am growing tired of having to deal with it from other parents in real life who are older than me, but have kids the same age as mine.
IMO - A person who is a few years older than you is not an elder to you. They might be expecting respect based upon where they are in life, maybe they have a PhD or something. Or maybe they just think they're better than you. But unless they are old enough to be your parents, they don't deserve any additional respect based on their age.
"And by the way, if you're gonna take up a hobby of letter writing, you might want to learn how to spell "writing" you stupid F--k." - Nighthawk re kwikrnu
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

I am concerned that by responding to this, I am actually giving it credit.

It is far too easy to die in this world, from microscopic bacterial infections to multi-ton GE locomotives. Life is a roulette wheel that you spin with every breath of air you suck in. Sometimes it is luck... and sometimes it is an inner strength that stays the course, throwing caution, odds, and expectations into the air as each precious second of life is an act of blatant defiance against the absolute inevitiability that is coming to us - each and every one.

The hell of kids is they think they invented it; take your pick on what "it" is. They think they invented suffering, they think they invented courage, and for some unknown reason, each new generation believes it invented sex.

Lack of respect for those who have beat back the thickets of life and pushed on ahead of you, for you, represents short-sighted contempt that takes second place to none.

It isn't by your own hand that life has not yet kicked you in the head with a steel-toed workboot, and left you dazed and helpless in a growing pool of your own blood and hair while it casually and cruelly plucks from the living those that are close to you. You will be astonished at how merciless the lesson will be when it comes to pass, how little the world cares for what has happened, and at how ineffective your raging will be in response. You struggle against the ocean and don't even realize it.

There is a short list of certainties, of which this is one; if you survive your ignorance, and if you live long enough, you will see contempt in the eyes' of those younger than you... and the sour scent of irony will overwhelm you.

The absolute best-case scenario for you is that it is your loved ones that grieve your passing, not the other way around.

You can't produce an epic rant because you are shallow - and you are shallow because you draw on nothing.
kalikraven
Elite Member

Post by kalikraven »

Maser I wonder why you even come to this website. Show me some productive post that youv'e made about silencers and I'll shut up. If you cant do that then your a troll.
Going a little more discrete here due to some of my opinions...
Maser
Silent But Deadly

Post by Maser »

This is not your website. This site is privately owned by Robert. We are all here for one reason and one reason alone. That is because he allows us to be at his site. There's your answer. You need to learn what a troll is. If anything, I'm a lurker. Now let's get back on topic. If you want to discuss why I should or shouldn't be here then make your own thread. Don't troll mine!
Last edited by Maser on Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fulmen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulmen »

One reason to respect (or at least give them more benefit of doubt) the elders:

Chances are they've had to endure a lot more crap than you. Not only because they have experienced more and are probably in worse shape than you, but also because they didn't have many of the luxuries we have now. So cut them a friggin' break.
Hermit
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Hermit »

Maser wrote: I'm a firm believer that respect has to be earned and NOT given away automatically.

I'm kinda the 180 polar opposite. I give anyone respect until they prove they don't deserve it.

Same with trust.

Innocent until proven guilty.

Too many snot nosed, punk ass, think they know everything little fuckers in this world that really need to be bitch slapped until they piss their underoos.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."
DoctorSolo
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoctorSolo »

Hermit wrote:
Maser wrote: I'm a firm believer that respect has to be earned and NOT given away automatically.

I'm kinda the 180 polar opposite. I give anyone respect until they prove they don't deserve it.

Same with trust.

Too many snot nosed, punk ass, think they know everything little fuckers in this world that really need to be bitch slapped until they piss their underoos.
I wouldn't go so far as trust by default(I'm paranoid), but I 100% agree with everything else Hermit just said.

Nobody owes you ANYTHING, Maser. But if you treat people with tact, and class, they will ALWAYS reciprocate. Looks like someone here has an attitude problem and is in denial about it.

:roll:
Last edited by DoctorSolo on Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1mobum
Silent But Deadly

Post by 1mobum »

ick wrote:It's not that the Irish are cynical. It's rather that they have a wonderful lack of respect for everything and everybody.
-Brendan Behan

Gotta love a man who can slander his own.

edited to add Maser you sound like a little pussy whiner
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

Here is the little bit that we know about you; you post pictures of yourself on the internet wearing a diaper, and sucking your thumb.

Then you come on here and claim that you don't want 'given respect', you want 'earned respect'. I am assuming you want us to play by your own rules?

What have you done to earn respect? Are you referring to the time when you said you'd join the military if you didn't have kids?
Maser wrote:I am growing tired of having to deal with it from other parents in real life who are older than me, but have kids the same age as mine.
I am 34, I have an 8-month-old, she's my first. I know the barest amount about you, and it is far more than enough for me to treat you no better than these other parents do.
Maser wrote:None of these people will spend time to get to know me outside of our kid's playdates, but they sure as F--k feel the need to build an entire profile on me based on just my age alone.
You're certain its your age and not your shaved head sprouting multi-colored braids, with baggy shorts worn around your thighs? Those are the pictures you put online of yourself.

This is RSilvers' house. Damn right. He, or his representatives, will choose who goes and who stays.

That said; what do you bring to the table? At least if you referenced your earlier shooting of someone else's MGs more often, that would be something, but you don't. Instead, we've gotten diapers, thumb-sucking, and a generic slander against serive members who are also parents.

Can you be objective? Take a step back, look at yourself based on what we know about you. Do you blame us?
Maser
Silent But Deadly

Post by Maser »

DoctorSolo wrote:
Hermit wrote:

Same with trust.

I wouldn't go so far as trust by default(I'm paranoid), but I 100% agree with everything else you said.

Nobody owes you ANYTHING. But if you treat people with tact, and class, they will ALWAYS reciprocate. Looks like someone here has an attitude problem and is in denial about it.

:roll:
I also don't believe in trusting people by default. Maybe if we lived in a perfect world that could work out but seeing as we don't, we have to do our own research. Which is why I judge people based on their actions and not their appearance or age.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

Maser wrote: I also don't believe in trusting people by default.
Oh good, now you see why you aren't trusted by the other parents.
Maser wrote:Maybe if we lived in a perfect world that could work out but seeing as we don't, we have to do our own research. Which is why I judge people based on their actions and not their appearance or age.
Your actions are to shave your head, sprout multi-colored braids, wear a diaper, suck your thumb, and F--k way too early. That's what the other parents are judging you on - your actions.
DoctorSolo
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoctorSolo »

To clarify, I was agreeing with Hermit, not you.

Maser, you need to quit acting like a teenager and maybe, just maybe you'll start to understand what the adults here are saying.
Maser
Silent But Deadly

Post by Maser »

TROOPER wrote: Your actions are to shave your head, sprout multi-colored braids,
Well that's certainly a new one. :lol:
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.
-1 Sam 16:7
Here is what is so interesting about this verse. Man looks at the outward appearance. If you look like an idiot, a snot-nosed youth with attitude, an auto mechanic, a banker, a punk rock star, a mean looking guy with blood on his shirt.... man pretty much sizes each other up and draws conclusions by "appearance." I think that follows through to forums. Your "appearance" is what you post. Like it or not people are going to draw their own conclusions without your permission. Notice this passage doesn't have to do with clothes, but rather physical characteristics. This is the way we are wired.

Nothing new there.

We all hear the cry that "I should be able to go to church dressed however I want, you should not judge" or "don't judge me by my appearance, you don't know me" and similar. This is true, clearly GOD tells us it is what is on the inside that is so very crucially important.

See Luke 18:9-14 if you like.
And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:

Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess. And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner. I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.
NOW, having said that, should a banker walk in to work wearing clothes of the mechanic? Should a snot-nosed youth with attitude expect to be hired by me when it is obvious to me that what is on the inside is incompatible with what I want from an employee?

No, for what is on the outside often DIRECTLY reflects what is on the inside. That is why you can see a punk-rocker from across the street and know exactly what he is... because often our "appearance" EXACTLY represents who and what we are.

For example. If I come to work in old dirty clothes... is that what I wear because I have nothing else to wear and my attitude is noble and honest?... or did I chose those clothes because I don't give a crap what my employer thinks and "my employer can suck it if he doesn't like it." You see this sort of "attitude" for the last 60 years from young people in, say church. In 1965, does that hippie have bell-bottom jeans and a t-shirt on for his own convenience "it doesn't matter what I wear old man, I am in church, suck it." Tell me, is that the right attitude? Does what the hippie choose to wear to church directly reflect what is on the inside? Do his clothes reflect reverence, respect, humility?

“Don’t pre-judge me man! You don’t know me!” Yet to the very same person having on a Tommy Flickfinger jacket causes him to strut with pride that his clothes show he is “in”. Demanding outward appearance of a stylish jacket makes him or her “different." The very man that decries that others should not be judged based on appearance.... takes considerable painstaking effort over his appearance. What is next, you flick-a-finger and I am not to judge what that means?

See how the outward appearance directly reflects what is inside?

This is nothing new. I am not saying you don't know these things, but perhaps it got you to think about your statements.
-----
Ick
Blaubart
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaubart »

Maser wrote:None of these people will spend time to get to know me outside of our kid's playdates, but they sure as F--k feel the need to build an entire profile on me based on just my age alone.
This isn't about respect. This is about friendship, and it seems you need a little mentoring on the subject...

It takes very little interaction for a person to acquire enough information to make a judgement as to whether or not they want to associate with you. For some people, it literally takes less than 30 seconds. You meet someone, shake hands, introduce yourself and bang - They've already decided based on your appearance and mannerisms that they do or do not want to pursue any sort of friendship with you. Or, they might have learned enough about you from others to know you aren't the sort of person they want in their lives.

Believe it or don't, they aren't building a profile on you. You haven't made yourself that important to them yet.

If you want to make friends with others, you have to put yourself out there where people are essentially forced to interact with you, and then use those opportunities to show them that you're a good person and that you give a s--t about others. Work and volunteering are good places for this sort of interaction. I don't go to church, but that's also a great place to meet people.

Play dates? Meh. I don't know what it is about them, but I've never developed a meaningful friendship while hanging out at the playground. Birthday parties are interesting though. I learned very early on that we are much more involved in our kids' lives than most parents are. To other parents, birthday parties seem to equate to free day care. I couldn't believe most parents of three and four year old kids would just drop their kid off at a birthday party and ask "When should I come back to pick him up?" :roll: Birthday parties are a good way to test parents of 3-8 year olds, because some would stay to help or just hang out. Those are the ones we took the time to get to know.

How you can expect to meet other parents and develop meaningful relationships is by being involved and volunteering in the activities your kid is participating in. Volunteer to coach sports. Volunteer to chaperone events. Volunteer to set up and tear down various activities. Volunteer to cook burgers at football games. Volunteer to sell tickets at games. Run with the kids on the cross country team. Bring snacks and drinks to practices and games. It's called building social equity, and trust me, it works.

Now go back to where I discussed meeting someone and that it only takes 30 seconds for them to form an opinion. Imagine that same person has seen you being involved in various events. They say "Hey, haven't I seen you working at football games?" Or "Weren't you a chaperone on the band trip to Seattle?" Then you say "Yeah, my kid is [whoever] and he plays [whatever] and I think they have a real good chance at making state this year! Aren't you [whoever]'s dad? I've seen him play and he's doing great this year!"

The bottom line is you really have to invest some time and effort in making friends when you're an adult. You can't expect everyone to just give you a chance because you think you're a good person.
Hermit
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Hermit »

Maser, feel the love?

Trust? I understand it is hard for some. I really don't blame you either.

I still try to extent it best I can. To be honest though, maybe I am influenced sometimes without realizing it, make judgment and do mistrust based on some action I see without really getting to know the person better. For instance the 17 year old crackhead up the road with 2/3 his teeth gone, the rest black like tar, not in school with the others. Maybe I don't trust him.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."
Maser
Silent But Deadly

Post by Maser »

Well, that's good advice Blaubart, but my issue really is not how others judge me based on my appearance or what I have or haven't done. My main issue is those who are judging me PURELY on my age alone. At least when it comes to the clothes I wear or things like that, that's something I have control over and can change that if I want to. My age on the other hand is NOT something I can change. As far as building friendships goes with them parents, I guess it would be nice to have a friendship with them, but I'm more focused on us coexisting with eachother for the sakes of our kid's friendships.
DoctorSolo
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoctorSolo »

They aren't judging you based on age alone. I guarantee it. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, well...