12.5" SBR worth the difference vs. 16" middy, both w/SPR/M4?

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

theTastyCat
Senior Silent Operator

12.5" SBR worth the difference vs. 16" middy, both w/SPR/M4?

Post by theTastyCat »

Hey all - as I said in my other thread, I can't decide whether or not to stick with my 16" middy upper w/SPR/M4 or to go through the expense of a new 12.5" upper and SBR. The gun is really front-heavy, and new shooters in particular remark that the gun is "really heavy"; if it were better balanced and a little lighter, which 3.5" less of barrel would be, I know it would handle better.

My question is this: is it that much better? In a perfect world of unlimited resources, of course I'd do it. That said, my midlength 16" does really well, too. We are only talking a 3.5" difference, since 12.5" is the minimum I can go with the SPR/M4, but lots of people seem to like it as a barrel length anyway.

So - opinions welcome and thanks in advance.
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Re: 12.5" SBR worth the difference vs. 16" middy, both w/SPR

Post by rogerme »

I would say the easy way to get your answer is to find someone who has a 12.5 upper and try it out. If YOU like it then that's the way to go. If you truly like it then it becomes much easier to justify the cost of obtaining it.
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
theTastyCat
Senior Silent Operator

Post by theTastyCat »

Yeah, that's exactly the best way. Wish I knew anybody else locally that had NFA... :cry: my friends are either poor white trash like myself or they are more responsible with their money :roll:
47_MasoN_47
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 47_MasoN_47 »

Man you live in Nashville, there are a load of people around with NFA items! If you know anyone at the police station, see if they know Officer Eric Bacon. He's a Class III FFL and at least used to have a few SBR ARs. I used to date his sister in law many moons ago.
Check out my YouTube channel below!
http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
the_accuser
Silent But Deadly

Post by the_accuser »

I live in Nashville and have a 12.5" Noveske Crusader. IM me your contact info if you want to get together and do some shooting.

Jason
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

I live way up here in Maine. I thought there was nobody else anywhere near with with a nfa item much less the stamp addiction I have. However over the years I have found that the majority of those who own NFA items are not likely to let anyone know they have them. They are out there though..
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
theTastyCat
Senior Silent Operator

Post by theTastyCat »

Man, thank you so much, Jason. That would be fantastic! IMing shortly.

Yeah, most NFA owners seem to be responsible types who are quiet about their toys. A liberal rag newspaper in Memphis published online a list of everybody in Tennessee with a carry permit; while it's public record, it was just a really poor idea to say the least. But, I put in my neighborhood's zip code and was pleasantly surprised how many people I know who have their permits without me knowing. I know there's something to be said for demonstrations which show how many "normal" people regularly carry, but I think if people knew how many regular people carry discreetly on a daily basis, attitudes towards carry would improve.

Officer Bacon? That is truly unfortunate - I'm sure he's a great guy too.
47_MasoN_47
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 47_MasoN_47 »

lol trust me, he gets plenty of crap for the name!

I like him a lot, but I've never been pulled over by him :P I know he's a BEAST with basically any weapon you put in his hands. I certainly wouldn't bet against him. He actually had to pop a rapist last year because he came after his partner with a flipping butcher knife.
Check out my YouTube channel below!
http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
theTastyCat
Senior Silent Operator

Post by theTastyCat »

Yeah, "a boy named Sue" comes to mind. I'm sure he's tough! Sucks that he had to pop some waste of skin - though the world's no doubt a better place, nobody wants to see someone they like have to go through the legal/social/other aftermath. Does he get to play with dealer sample toys :) :) :) ?