How to remove stuck suppressor on 51T brake

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderator: SilentMike

ar15fanboy
Silent Operator

How to remove stuck suppressor on 51T brake

Post by ar15fanboy »

I have a suppressor that I could not remove. Each time I torque it off the brake comes off with it. Are there any tips to remove the suppressor. BTW, this is an M4-2000 on a 51T brake.
STL/N.E.R.D.S.
Silent But Deadly

Re: How to remove stuck suppressor on 51T brake

Post by STL/N.E.R.D.S. »

Did you use the supplied rock set? Are you fully depressing the release? The mount should not break free from the barrel that easy if it was installed with clean threads on both the mount and barrel and supplied rock set was applied and allowed to cure. You may want to clean the barrel threads and mount and re-apply some rock set , let it cure then try again.. Alcohol works well as a de-greaser.
ar15fanboy
Silent Operator

Post by ar15fanboy »

I probably did not clean it as well. I judt clean it again with alcohol and going to try tomorrow when it cures.
ar15fanboy
Silent Operator

Post by ar15fanboy »

I remoounted the brake with the suppressor and Rocksett. Tried to remove the suppressor today and the brake came off again. When I mounted the brake I made sure that the threads are cleaned well with alcohol. I remounted the brake with Red Loctite. If there is any other way please let me know.
shootertom
Silent But Deadly

Post by shootertom »

I would recommend giving AAC a call. Maybe John Hollister if I'm correct or Mike. They would have the best advice or might have you send it in and they will handle it for you. Did you shoot the can so much that carbon built up around the mount too much? It might not be a bad idea to drip some solvent in the mount or lube to break up the carbon and try mounting and taking it off one more time. Hope this helps! - T
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Post by David Hineline »

Rocksett is high temp not high torque, the Red Loctite should easily lock it enough to take the torque to get it off, but it will get hot enough it will let go durring shooting so watch it.
NFA shooters blow their load with only one pull of the trigger.
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

NVM wrong thread
JDrin

Post by JDrin »

get a bolt and a nut with the corresponding thread of your mount. thread the nut on the bolt, thread the can and mount on the bolt, use the nut to "lock" the mount to the bolt. You would then be able to secure the can and depress the dismount button while using a wrench to unscrew the mount from the can.
shootertom
Silent But Deadly

Post by shootertom »

Great idea! should work well!
ar15fanboy
Silent Operator

Post by ar15fanboy »

Thanks for the recommendations. I will try the bolt and nut idea and let everyone know.
ar15fanboy
Silent Operator

Post by ar15fanboy »

Finally got it off. The red Loctite was able to hold enough for me to remove the suppressor. Thanks for all your inputs.
msting22

Post by msting22 »

Also, remember it's a good idea to take the can off while it's still a little warm.

Hope that helps.
Ryo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ryo »

It's a good idea to break the carbon build up ever 100-200 rounds. Not necessarily take off the can, just unscrew it a little and screw it back on.

My buddy had his stuck on and was twisting off the flashhider even though it was pinned. We ended up using a money wrench and a strap wrench to get it off. That was a bitch...
chainring
Senior Silent Operator

Post by chainring »

Don't forget to get it hot and spin the mount off and clean that Red Loctite off so you can rockset it again. That Red L will turn to cranberry juice next time you get it hot.