Yogurt

Discuss anything with like-minded people.
No posting of copyrighted material.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

silencertalk
Site Admin

Yogurt

Post by silencertalk »

Fage yogurt is amazing. It has about twice the protein of normal yogurt and far fewer carbs, and tastes awesome. It makes ice cream obsolete.

Chobani is significantly less good, though must have better marketing as it is more popular. I will eat Chobani, but much prefer Fage.

Everything else is out of spec and not good enough for me to eat.
mcinfantry
Silent But Deadly

Re: Yogurt

Post by mcinfantry »

looking into it... now.
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

silencertalk wrote:Fage yogurt is amazing. It has about twice the protein of normal yogurt and far fewer carbs, and tastes awesome. It makes ice cream obsolete.
While I love yogurt I have to say if you think it is better then ice cream then you have not had good ice cream. The guy who raises my beef and milk critters has a wife who among can make ice cream to die for. Make with cream straight from the utter churned in a 10 gallon ice/ salt churn that is around 60 years old though now has a motor instead of a crank. She only makes it in the summer!! I have never bought just one gallon at a time. Maybe I just really like ice cream?
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Ice cream may taste better, but the Fage is so good that it makes ice cream obsolete - as it is close to as good, and way more healthy.

For some reason every time I buy the yogurt some other shopper stops to talk to me about it. That is interesting considering I have probably never been talked to in a supermarket.
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

I just bought and ate some strawberry. Good suggestion. Very good.
What if my greatest disappointments
Or the aching of this life
Is the revealing of a greater thirst this world can’t satisfy
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Get the plain and flavor it yourself. That way you can have any flavor you want and even less sugar.

Technically you can get the same effect by straining normal yogurt since that's basically what it takes to make yogurt Greek style.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
jupiterdraft
Silent But Deadly

Post by jupiterdraft »

according to their website, it is available locally. I will be picking some up next visit to the market.
The gene pool needs a shock treatment!

Diapers & Politicians...
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I ate the plain last night in a bowl of Total cereal and put on a bunch of blackberries. It is so good, and a health food at the same time.

As for straining regular yogurt - I read that this kind of yogurt takes 4x as much milk to make. I am skeptical of that claim, but that is how it has 2-3x the protein.
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

I may have to try some of their plain yogurt in my naan recipe. I recently bought a grain mill (electric only/not SHTF), and this weekend will be making some whole wheat naan bread.

I'm liking the sound of fresh ground hard red wheat flour + yogurt (Protein 18g for 7oz). Nutrition from bread... what a concept.
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
GoJohnnyGo
Silent But Deadly

Post by GoJohnnyGo »

silencertalk wrote:
For some reason every time I buy the yogurt some other shopper stops to talk to me about it. That is interesting considering I have probably never been talked to in a supermarket.
Probably a result of all the "Gettin sexy " you've been up to. :lol:
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

Libertarian_Geek wrote:I may have to try some of their plain yogurt in my naan recipe. I recently bought a grain mill (electric only/not SHTF), and this weekend will be making some whole wheat naan bread.

I'm liking the sound of fresh ground hard red wheat flour + yogurt (Protein 18g for 7oz). Nutrition from bread... what a concept.
mmmmm... Naan....

Please share the recipe you use :)
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

the flavored is so convenient
What if my greatest disappointments
Or the aching of this life
Is the revealing of a greater thirst this world can’t satisfy
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

silencertalk wrote:...
As for straining regular yogurt - I read that this kind of yogurt takes 4x as much milk to make. ...
Not recommending you strain your own yogurt but this is how Greek yogurt is made. Straining the yogurt removes a significant amount of the whey which is mostly carb's. So that's the reason it takes more milk, there's more waste unless the whey is used in something else like cheese or animal food production.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

chrismartin wrote:
Libertarian_Geek wrote:I may have to try some of their plain yogurt in my naan recipe. I recently bought a grain mill (electric only/not SHTF), and this weekend will be making some whole wheat naan bread.

mmmmm... Naan....

Please share the recipe you use :)
This is the one that I use:
http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/2007/05/22/naan-bread/

This weekend, I plan to use home ground whole wheat flour instead of the plain all purpose flour.
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

silencertalk wrote:Ice cream may taste better, but the Fage is so good that it makes ice cream obsolete - as it is close to as good, and way more healthy.
Ice cream and tequila ( ok good single malt as well ) ( o ok good cigars to ) are my vices in life. Healthy or not IMHO if you can not enjoy what you have then why bother.

Also you like berries I have about 4 acres of blueberries on my side yard. My grandson spent last summer sitting out there eating them right off the bush. My mother always like them fresh to eat on her cereal, yogurt and anything else they may taste good on.
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
jaredr
Silent But Deadly

Post by jaredr »

throw in some honey and raspberries or blackberries, it's almost good enough to make you forget you're eating it because you're too old for a pint of ben and jerry's...
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Just had a bowl of strawberries, kiwi, banana, almonds, walnuts, and plain Fage yogurt. It tasted so good that there is really no reason to eat junk food - except junk food costs way less.

I am pretty sure the reason why my wife brings home lots of processed frozen food is because she clips coupons and buys whatever she can get on sale.
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

My wife had already bought Chobani, so that's what I'm using for my naan today. There's only 2.5 tbl spoons of it used in the recipe anyway, so I doubt that it makes much of a difference in this case.
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

silencertalk wrote:Just had a bowl of strawberries, kiwi, banana, almonds, walnuts, and plain Fage yogurt.
Have you tried to make your own. The lady who cares for my food critters ( also my ice cream lady ) says she can make yogurt as well she says it is very easy and is far better then store bought? I told her some people online said that yogurt was better then ice cream and she said tat cause they have not had hers. She did however say she used to make allot of yogurt late 80's and early 90's when there was a huge demand for it. She said with the Greek type yogurt getting so big she may start making it again this summer.

Clint Smith
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

rogerme wrote: is far better then store bought?
It is doubtful that home-made is better than Fage. But sure, it is probably better than Dannon or Yoplait.

How many of us would reload ammo if it was just a $1 to buy a box of 20 rounds of Black Hills 308?

Making you own yogurt costs more than to buy it.
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

Greek Gods is my favorite brand, it is almost cheese-like if that makes sense (ie, in a mascarpone sort of way). Also, Greek Goods makes the best tzatziki sauce, which I make at home and is awesome on virtually any food.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

My mom made yogurt when I was a kid and started again in the last few years. Home made yogurt is pretty good. Like anything else, you can whip up a batch here and there, but if you do it a lot over a long time you get good at it.

I'm sure that the end result is night and day different if you start with whole milk from a local farm (expensive, but oh so good) or co-op milk (which is where my mother gets most of her food) verses starting with WalMart's store brand milk.

I'll ask her about it and report back.
GoJohnnyGo
Silent But Deadly

Post by GoJohnnyGo »

I've been on a huge Fage bender recently. I'm traveling and living in a hotel for a few weeks so healthy eating is a little more difficult than at home. I've had Fage and fruit for dinner for 4 days.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Conqueror wrote:Greek Gods is my favorite brand, it is almost cheese-like if that makes sense (ie, in a mascarpone sort of way). Also, Greek Goods makes the best tzatziki sauce, which I make at home and is awesome on virtually any food.
I will try it, but look at this:

http://www.greekgodsyogurt.com/html/ynonfat.php

http://www.fageusa.com/products/fage-total-0-percent/

Fage has 18g protein and GG has 6g. Also Fage has 100 calories and GG has just 60. So Fage has far more dairy in it. That seems to imply GG is economizing on materials.

The GG has Inulin as a major ingredient. Perhaps to use less dairy and restore the bulk. It also has Pectin, which is a gelatin filler.