Dip question

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

macro

Dip question

Post by macro »

I was thinking about dipping my kodiak, and have found a local hazmat place to drop it off at. I am curious what the best container to put it in would be? Does the dip eat plastic? I was thinking of dipping the core in an old nalgene bottle and then just sealing the bottle and dropping it off. Would that work? Or would the dip eat the bottle?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Dip question

Post by Bendersquint »

macro wrote:I was thinking about dipping my kodiak, and have found a local hazmat place to drop it off at. I am curious what the best container to put it in would be? Does the dip eat plastic? I was thinking of dipping the core in an old nalgene bottle and then just sealing the bottle and dropping it off. Would that work? Or would the dip eat the bottle?
I use old Orange Juice bottles.

Dip won't eat plastic but I wouldn't trust it with nalgene, too soft. Use a OJ bottle or a 2 liter soda bottle.
srt-4_uk
Silent But Deadly

Post by srt-4_uk »

i bought a cheap tall candle from the dollar store and used the glass container it was in. it is about 1.75" diameter so im not mixing too much more than i have to.
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

I use a glass jelly jar.
LEON54
Silent Operator

Post by LEON54 »

Speaking of... I have my Spectre baffles in the dip right now. I need to check on them.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

The Voss Artesian Water from Norway comes in glass bottles.
It has a wide mouth and is tall enough for dipping
and cleaning all sorts of parts and lengths. Of course one does
not just drop items in ... slide gently. :)

For those with magnetic stirrers*, place the ceramic pebble in first, then
slide down a perforated with large cut outs plastic cover such as comes with
shaving cans. This is to elevate your parts out of contact with the
pebble. Then you can agitate the solution to any rate you wish.

I have removed rust safely from tools and lathe parts with just white vinegar in
a glass lab jar, stirring at lowest rate. Or if you have a dark room make the 10cc Glacial
acetic acid in 64 oz. water stop bath solution. You then control the acidity. Then
remove, wash, neutralize with baking soda solution, and oil.

But a really good use for them is to store water, uncontaminated by plastics, for long periods of time in
case of emergencies, along with survival disinfectant agents such as iodine, and Potassium
Iodide ( KI ) to protect the thyroid if there were ever radiation leaks, etc.

*e.g., Hanna Magnetic Stirrer, Speedsafe
Tango2249
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tango2249 »

Would soaking your baffles in just white vinegar and NOT hydrogen peroxide still form Lead AceTate?

Also, do you get Lead Acetate while using an ultrasonic cleaner with a mixture of Purple Power and water?
“The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” - Samuel Adams
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Tango2249 wrote:Would soaking your baffles in just white vinegar and NOT hydrogen peroxide still form Lead AceTate?

Also, do you get Lead Acetate while using an ultrasonic cleaner with a mixture of Purple Power and water?
First question, it's weaker but it would still form a HAZMAT liquid.

Second question, NO, but you do get lead in the water that needs to be handled with care.
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

Bendersquint wrote:
macro wrote:I was thinking about dipping my kodiak, and have found a local hazmat place to drop it off at. I am curious what the best container to put it in would be? Does the dip eat plastic? I was thinking of dipping the core in an old nalgene bottle and then just sealing the bottle and dropping it off. Would that work? Or would the dip eat the bottle?

Dip won't eat plastic but I wouldn't trust it with nalgene, too soft. Use a OJ bottle or a 2 liter soda bottle.
Plastic is permeable (some more than others). Lead Acetate is a small molecule that will permeate latex... as well as your skin. See a problem? If you have to use plastic wear nitrile gloves and get rid of it quickly.

You can buy lead acetate in plastic containers but it's in crystalline form. All the 10% lead acetate solution bottles are made out of glass.

Polyethylene terephthalate (PET) used in 2 Liters is a good barrier. However, what occurs in theory or the lab and what occurs in practice are often two different things. We are using containers for purposes they aren't designed for. Most 2L manufacturers are trying to make the walls of the container as thin as possible to save on costs. That is the opposite of what you want for HAZMAT containers. So it's better to err on the side of caution and use the most reliable but cheap container possible.

When is doubt, mimic what the pros do. The pros use glass for lead acetate solutions.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

wacki wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:

Plastic is permeable (some more than others). Lead Acetate is a small molecule that will permeate latex... as well as your skin. See a problem? If you have to use plastic wear nitrile gloves and get rid of it quickly.

You can buy lead acetate in plastic containers but it's in crystalline form. All the 10% lead acetate solution bottles are made out of glass.

Polyethylene terephthalate (PET) used in 2 Liters is a good barrier. However, what occurs in theory or the lab and what occurs in practice are often two different things. We are using containers for purposes they aren't designed for. Most 2L manufacturers are trying to make the walls of the container as thin as possible to save on costs. That is the opposite of what you want for HAZMAT containers. So it's better to err on the side of caution and use the most reliable but cheap container possible.

When is doubt, mimic what the pros do. The pros use glass for lead acetate solutions.
Seriously consider a skin barrier cream such as Kerodex 70 [Ref. << http://www.synochemweb.com/kerodex.htm >>

I first ran across it when I used to develop color prints and a ~1965 article in Popular Photography
first reviewed it. Since then I have always applied it for whatever tasks that have involved chemicals,
wiring, painting, automotive, grass cutting, lathe work, and of obviously cleaning my weapons.

In humid climes I had used it on my neck to prevent heat rash and on my feet to prevent blisters
on long 'hikes'. :)

The stuff is easy to apply, non greasy, and should be applied up to the elbows. Chemicals
roll off and do not permeate your skin. Add to this plastic gloves and you are sparing yourself
immediate dermatitis and future carcinogens. Grease and dirt wash off easily. Every couple
of hours reapply.

Oh, being descended from a long lineage of long living chickens, I use the Kerodex when I prepare
meats for cooking.

I am not joking when I emphasize the wisdom of the barrier cream.

Best.
WC
Silent But Deadly

Post by WC »

I use the bottle/jar that olives come in. It's just slightly larger overall than my Specter @ 6 1/4"L x 2"OD so I only have to make a very small amount of 'dip'.
Tango2249
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tango2249 »

This is going to be the first time that I try using the Dip. After the baffles are ready to come out of the jar, is it alright to rinse the baffles off in my garage sink?

I know that the solution has to disposed of as a HAZMAT, but I just wanted to see what you guys do after the baffles come out.
“The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” - Samuel Adams
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Tango2249 wrote:This is going to be the first time that I try using the Dip. After the baffles are ready to come out of the jar, is it alright to rinse the baffles off in my garage sink?

I know that the solution has to disposed of as a HAZMAT, but I just wanted to see what you guys do after the baffles come out.
I put the baffles into a old oil funnel then run fresh water over them all which drains into another bottle destined for HAZMAT facility.

This is NO different than the DIP itself, just a much smaller quantity but no less toxic.
Tango2249
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tango2249 »

Bendersquint wrote:
Tango2249 wrote:This is going to be the first time that I try using the Dip. After the baffles are ready to come out of the jar, is it alright to rinse the baffles off in my garage sink?

I put the baffles into a old oil funnel then run fresh water over them all which drains into another bottle destined for HAZMAT facility.

This is NO different than the DIP itself, just a much smaller quantity but no less toxic.
That's a good idea...thanks. I'm heading over to Lowes and will pick up a funnel. Obviously, I have to make sure that the neck of the funnel is small enough in diameter so the baffles do not fall through...
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Tango2249 wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:

That's a good idea...thanks. I'm heading over to Lowes and will pick up a funnel. Obviously, I have to make sure that the neck of the funnel is small enough in diameter so the baffles do not fall through...
Yup, I labeled mine DIP and keep it in its own baggie to make sure it doesn't get confused or used for some other purpose.
Tango2249
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tango2249 »

After you rinse off the baffles, they are safe to handle without gloves, right? Is it a good idea to put a light coat of oil on them?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Tango2249 wrote:After you rinse off the baffles, they are safe to handle without gloves, right? Is it a good idea to put a light coat of oil on them?
Depends on how much you rinse them off, I personally clean them with gloves on after with something like Hoppes then once dried in my eyes it is safe.

Why would you coat them in oil? The only baffles that COULD benefit from that(besides the nasty burnt oil next range trip) is GemTech baffles since they don't anodize their baffles. If your baffles are anodized then just reinstall and forget about them.
Tango2249
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tango2249 »

Bendersquint wrote:
Tango2249 wrote:After you rinse off the baffles, they are safe to handle without gloves, right? Is it a good idea to put a light coat of oil on them?
Depends on how much you rinse them off, I personally clean them with gloves on after with something like Hoppes then once dried in my eyes it is safe.

Why would you coat them in oil? The only baffles that COULD benefit from that(besides the nasty burnt oil next range trip) is GemTech baffles since they don't anodize their baffles. If your baffles are anodized then just reinstall and forget about them.
And what type of container do you empty the old Dip and contaminated water into? Is a large plastic container safe to store the Dip in or is it safer to store the Dip in a glass jar and the contaminated water in a plastic container since the water is not as strong as the straight up Dip?

Also, where is the best place to leave the Dip while soaking the baffles? Would doing this in the garage be alright or is it better doing everything outside?

Finally, do you leave the lid on the jar sealed while soaking the baffles, or do you leave the lid on loose? Thanks for the help.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Tango2249 wrote:And what type of container do you empty the old Dip and contaminated water into? Is a large plastic container safe to store the Dip in or is it safer to store the Dip in a glass jar and the contaminated water in a plastic container since the water is not as strong as the straight up Dip?

Also, where is the best place to leave the Dip while soaking the baffles? Would doing this in the garage be alright or is it better doing everything outside?

Finally, do you leave the lid on the jar sealed while soaking the baffles, or do you leave the lid on loose? Thanks for the help.
I use glass jars for the dip and plastic bottles for the water(orange juice bottles actually).

I put a cover on the DIP to prevent it from spilling but not tight, enough for it to breathe. The fumes are hazardous so you do NOT want to be doing it in the garage.

I do it on the steps in the backyard.
Tango2249
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tango2249 »

When doing it outside, do you wear a mask, and if so what kind?

What gloves do you wear when handling everything? Thanks again for all of the info.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Tango2249 wrote:When doing it outside, do you wear a mask, and if so what kind?

What gloves do you wear when handling everything? Thanks again for all of the info.
You are welcome.

I use a respirator like this.....

I use doubled up nitrile gloves from Sams. They don't come off until i am either changing to a new pair or all the DIP is long gone.
Tango2249
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tango2249 »

Bendersquint wrote:
Tango2249 wrote:When doing it outside, do you wear a mask, and if so what kind?

You are welcome.

I use a respirator like this.....

I use doubled up nitrile gloves from Sams. They don't come off until i am either changing to a new pair or all the DIP is long gone.
Lowes sells this chemical respirator:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_336138-98-62023 ... facetInfo=

Would this do the job?
smokey1

Post by smokey1 »

I have found the Barbicide salon brush/comb cleaning tall glass jars with stainless steel strainer is the best for cleaning my can's and steel parts with the "dip". They can be found online and what is nice is the lid has a stainless rod which connects to the strainer at bottom of glass jar. When you lift the lid you are pulling the parts out of the dip. Less mess and exposure to the chemicals while cleaning.

Picture at the following link:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... bicide.JPG
Smokey
Tango2249
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tango2249 »

smokey1 wrote:I have found the Barbicide salon brush/comb cleaning tall glass jars with stainless steel strainer is the best for cleaning my can's and steel parts with the "dip". They can be found online and what is nice is the lid has a stainless rod which connects to the strainer at bottom of glass jar. When you lift the lid you are pulling the parts out of the dip. Less mess and exposure to the chemicals while cleaning.

Picture at the following link:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... bicide.JPG
That seems like a good idea. How do you rinse off the baffles with water without getting it all over the place?
smokey1

Post by smokey1 »

the stainless tray has lots of holes so most liquid drains back into vessel. I transfer each baffle or mono core depending on suppressor I'm cleaning directly into an ultrasonic cleaner with purple power solution.
Smokey