best lube for a suppressed 10/22

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

rogerxd45
Silent But Deadly

best lube for a suppressed 10/22

Post by rogerxd45 »

i have a zimmerman arms 10/22 with a 8.75" barrel and even without the can it gets dirty fast but when i have the can on it gets VERY dirty. i know there is no way to prevent the carbon and junk from a 22lr but was wonder if i should try a different lube, maybe even a dry one that would allow me to shoot more then 500rounds before i start having issues, at around 500 rounds the gun starts to jam

im pretty sure this is just something im going to have to live with but i figured i would ask anyways
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: best lube for a suppressed 10/22

Post by Bendersquint »

rogerxd45 wrote:i have a zimmerman arms 10/22 with a 8.75" barrel and even without the can it gets dirty fast but when i have the can on it gets VERY dirty. i know there is no way to prevent the carbon and junk from a 22lr but was wonder if i should try a different lube, maybe even a dry one that would allow me to shoot more then 500rounds before i start having issues, at around 500 rounds the gun starts to jam

im pretty sure this is just something im going to have to live with but i figured i would ask anyways
Welcome to shooting a suppressed 10/22!
eric10mm
Silent But Deadly

Post by eric10mm »

Just gotta keep her well lubed. Carry some oil with you to the range.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Your carbon and crud build up around the barrel face my FA 10-22 is the same way.A shot of CLP and a M-16 brush fixes it in 20 seconds a spray of clp alone works in one second.A bore snake works wonders for the chamber.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Good guns will run on about any lube, I find that the "Tetra gun" (oil and not spray) makes it easier to clean and they run long.

I hate the stink but put up with it. Image

Also, some suppressor foul host more than others. (My Liberty TL runs longer/ less blowback)
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
rogerxd45
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerxd45 »

but wouldnt more lube just attract more crud?

would any of the dry lubes work/ like hoppes teflon powder
M40A1308M
Silent But Deadly

Post by M40A1308M »

Marvel makes a .22 fullauto oil I am using and will use till the end of time. I bought a case because it works so well.My M11-22 and MP5 and Uzi .22 will run allot longer and better with this stuff.Yes they still need cleansing. Also try taking a .22 rifle bore brush and bend it in a 90 degree angle closer to the threaded end and use that as a chamber scrubber.
markm
Silent But Deadly

Post by markm »

I like froglube, but found that it did NOT work very well in the 10/22 suppressed. The action doesn't get warm enough for the lube to stay liquidy and flowing.
seattlite
Silent But Deadly

Post by seattlite »

M40A1308M wrote:Marvel makes a .22 fullauto oil I am using and will use till the end of time. I bought a case because it works so well.My M11-22 and MP5 and Uzi .22 will run allot longer and better with this stuff.Yes they still need cleansing. Also try taking a .22 rifle bore brush and bend it in a 90 degree angle closer to the threaded end and use that as a chamber scrubber.
Is this what you are using: http://bobmarvelcustomguns.com/bob-marv ... m-oil.html
M40A1308M
Silent But Deadly

Post by M40A1308M »

Yes, that would be it. Great stuff.
64psd
Silent Operator

Post by 64psd »

I also have a Zimmerman with an SBX bbl. Great gun.
The best thing about the Zimmerman is it is solid and well built with much tighter tolerances than a sloppy Ruger 10/22. The bad part is, it has much tighter tolerances than a Ruger 10/22. The loose bolt action must really help keep them running even when filthy dirty.

I am using a Kidd bolt and the combination has had me working to keep it running smoothly suppressed as there is no sloppiness. It is a quieter action for it though.

I now run a Kodiak TL and only use a dry lube on the bolt. I can run over 500 rds before i think about cleaning it. I have yet to have it shut down on me with this combo. I would not use an oil, as anything that can attract .22 crude will be working against you. I tried a few before going to dry lube and it was awful.
seattlite
Silent But Deadly

Post by seattlite »

So which dry lube should one use?
morpheus
Silent But Deadly

Post by morpheus »

I concur with Froglube. Good stuff.
64psd
Silent Operator

Post by 64psd »

I use a dry lube with Teflon from Lowes. It works well for me.
Last edited by 64psd on Tue May 15, 2012 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
yellowfin
Silent But Deadly

Post by yellowfin »

Maybe MPro-7?
"You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's insane!"-- Penn Jilette
http://www.NYShooters.net
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

I use the ol trusty break free clp on everything including the 10/22 and it has not failed me yet.
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
Surly
Silent Operator

Post by Surly »

I tried dry lubes for a while and they suck. You end up doing twice the work to clean them than you do with a grease or oil. The grease holds contaminates better and the oil carries them away better. Both do make the clean up a matter of wiping them out...not so much with a dry lube. I've been running synthetic motor oil in all of my toys and the stuff is cheap for a quart, lasts forever and cleans up nicely.
coachwill

Post by coachwill »

Anyone ever tried Dyna-Tek Gun Shield in their suppressors? If not I would be happy to supply a few people with some to test for me. I do sell it but would like to get some feedback from someone other than myself as a suppressor user.

PM me if you are interested in trying it out.
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

coachwill wrote:Anyone ever tried Dyna-Tek Gun Shield in their suppressors? If not I would be happy to supply a few people with some to test for me. I do sell it but would like to get some feedback from someone other than myself as a suppressor user.

PM me if you are interested in trying it out.
For suppression or cleaning????
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
mg81
Silent But Deadly

Post by mg81 »

Have you tried just running the gun dry? At least the whole bolt and receiver area? I only put some light gun oil into the trigger group moving parts and maybe a drop onto the spring guide rod for the recoil spring.

In my experience any wet lube will attract crap. Besides after a few rounds the carbon will act like a dry lube. If you had to use a dry lube I have liked DGF(dry graphite film) from NAPA, it is an aerosol can, goes on wet and dries to a dry film in seconds.

But honestly in the whole bolt, chamber, receiver area I would leave it dry. How many 10/22's do you see with these areas worn out? When I think of the 10's of thousands (maybe up to 100K) of rounds that went through my 10/22 when I was young with my friends with no maintenance other than me digging the packed in carbon out from the chamber/breach face area with a toothpick or random picked up sharpened twig, I just smile.

The only thing worn on that rifle is the trigger group is now loose on receiver where the two pin holes in the receiver that hold the trigger group in have gotten battered oversized from the bolt slamming around. No amount of lube would have prevented that.

Besides, even if you do wear out parts from shooting without lube just replace them. You can still get a whole new 10/22 for $200. Just swap your short barrel on to your replacement receiver (two allen screws) and drop in the new parts that need replaced. Not worth compromising your shooting time/experience to try and preserve parts that so cheap and available. You will have spent so much more in ammo by that time that the replacement parts will be incidental.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Bone dry no help, the bolt to receiver has plenty slop and if was REALLY a problem carry some spray lube with you.

The mags are going down first anyway when shot suppressed.

I own six 10/22's and one clone and have cleaned and fixed range rentals. The triggers last a long time, the thing to keep clean is the bolt face ,breach face and barrel face or it peen or build up and cause head space issue. Also clean the chamber with bent brush and use aftermarket extractor.

If you go shooting 1000's of rounds suppressed bring spay lube and LOTS of mags.

Also no need for catchy names like "gun butter" or "frog juice" unless you like Vince from slapchop. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

I run my dry never been a big problem.
cwadej

Post by cwadej »

I've like Blue Wonder Armadillo since before it was released. It's a paste you rub on, like shoe polish. Works great as a lube, and makes clean up easier.
...They will find the streets are guarded by United States Marines!