iPhone app Beta testers?

Tactical gear.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

jh125486

iPhone app Beta testers?

Post by jh125486 »

Howdy,
I'm looking for Beta testers for an iPhone/iPod Touch app I've written. Only requirement is IOS 5.0 (or greater) must be installed.

It's essentially a book keeping app with some added features:
  • Weapon Inventory
    • Rounds fired
    • Last Cleaned
    • NFA info
    • Maintenance
    • Malfunctions
    • Dope Cards
    • Notes
  • Ballistics
    • Dope Table
    • Whiz Wheel
      • MOA
      • MIL
      • Daymode/Nightmode
      • Wind/Leading
        • Degrees/Clocking
      • Trajectory Calculations:
        • Spin Drift
        • Wind
        • Leading
        • G1 or G7 model
        • Weather (auto fetch)
  • Calculators
    • Range Estimation
    • Unit Conversions
    • TKOF/ TSP
    • Energy
    • Miller Ideal Twist Rate & Stability
  • Logbook
    • Ammunition (by caliber and brand)
    • Magazines (by caliber and brand)
  • Passcode lock
The testing process is pretty easy.... I just need the email address you use on your iPhone, and then you register your iPhone through the email I send you. Once your'e registered, you can install my app.

I'd like to get the beta testing done before next Monday, and all the beta testers will get a free copy of course :)
Capbyrd

Re: iPhone app Beta testers?

Post by Capbyrd »

Very interesting. How is the app installed if its not through the app store or jailbroken?
jh125486

Post by jh125486 »

Capbyrd wrote:Very interesting. How is the app installed if its not through the app store or jailbroken?
IOS 5 introduced OTA (over-the-air) installs. Essentially a third-party, in this case Testflight.com serves as a go between the developer and the testers/team members. I still have to have the iphone device id to update the beta test provisioning profile for each tester though.

Here's a decent writeup: http://www.readwriteweb.com/mobile/2011 ... e-easy.php
jta

Post by jta »

I might be interested
ChimeraPrecision
Silent But Deadly

Post by ChimeraPrecision »

Pm me if you need another tester
Keep calm, and suppress on
M40A1308M
Silent But Deadly

Post by M40A1308M »

I have purchased EVERY app there is on the iPhone for ballistics and none have encompassed everything right yet. The problem I have is using the software in the field. There are too many parameters to go thru to set up a shot quickly. If you have a preset in one program then it can be easier. But I find my self checking 2 other programs to get the accurate shot witch is a PITA. Weather data is always off in every ballistic program I have found. I use weather bug for the more accurate data or my Kestrel. The most frustrating thing is going thru menu after menu just to get things set up to finally get it all, and something changes. Plus have you ever tried reading a IPhone app page in full sunlight with wind, dust and heat or rain. I finally just go back to the range finder or the math.
The only app that is somewhat fast and accurate is the MILSPEC KAC program but its also pricy for a Iphone app.

I am not downing your app in anyway just listing some problems with others I have had.

I do like you have a section for listing firearms for cataloging and tracking.
towerofpower93
Silent Operator

Post by towerofpower93 »

I'd be interested in helping beta test.

PM me your info.

Eric
jh125486

Post by jh125486 »

M40A1308M wrote:I have purchased EVERY app there is on the iPhone for ballistics and none have encompassed everything right yet. The problem I have is using the software in the field. There are too many parameters to go thru to set up a shot quickly. If you have a preset in one program then it can be easier. But I find my self checking 2 other programs to get the accurate shot witch is a PITA. Weather data is always off in every ballistic program I have found. I use weather bug for the more accurate data or my Kestrel. The most frustrating thing is going thru menu after menu just to get things set up to finally get it all, and something changes. Plus have you ever tried reading a IPhone app page in full sunlight with wind, dust and heat or rain. I finally just go back to the range finder or the math.
The only app that is somewhat fast and accurate is the MILSPEC KAC program but its also pricy for a Iphone app.

I am not downing your app in anyway just listing some problems with others I have had.

I've used the KAC BulletFlight quite a bit... and in my opinion is wasn't written by people who actually do software development. For me it's simple stuff, like when you tap on a field that requires a number, the whole alphabet keyboard pops up, instead of just the 'phone' style number pad.
And some of the screens that have 20 fields on them, all super tiny... just an abomination. GunLog is a lot better, but very generic in my opinion.

I've tried to remedy a lot of those issues in my app.
Weather is pulled from the closest METAR station. It will actually tell you which one, and how far away. Wind will always be a local phenomenon unfortunately, and that's something I just can't programmatically get without bluetooth linking with the kestrel. I do compute the density altitude and show that if you have your own dope tables.

Another thing I have done is that you can save your dope tables generated from the ballistics program, and then edit them with your own observed data.

Well, I could talk about this all day since I've been working on it for months now. If you want to try mine own and give me some feedback, feel free to PM with your email addy.

-Jacob
doubleajaybrock
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubleajaybrock »

I have an iPhone.......
-Form 1 SBR AR
-AAC Ti-rant 45
-Silencerco 22 Sparrow
-AAC 762 SDN-6
mpallett
Elite Industry Professional

Post by mpallett »

Since the person that wrote the KAC sofware RUNS this site ... you might want to ask him to fix some of the things.

jh125486 wrote:
M40A1308M wrote:I have purchased EVERY app there is on the iPhone for ballistics and none have encompassed everything right yet. The problem I have is using the software in the field. There are too many parameters to go thru to set up a shot quickly. If you have a preset in one program then it can be easier. But I find my self checking 2 other programs to get the accurate shot witch is a PITA. Weather data is always off in every ballistic program I have found. I use weather bug for the more accurate data or my Kestrel. The most frustrating thing is going thru menu after menu just to get things set up to finally get it all, and something changes. Plus have you ever tried reading a IPhone app page in full sunlight with wind, dust and heat or rain. I finally just go back to the range finder or the math.

I've used the KAC BulletFlight quite a bit... and in my opinion is wasn't written by people who actually do software development. For me it's simple stuff, like when you tap on a field that requires a number, the whole alphabet keyboard pops up, instead of just the 'phone' style number pad.
And some of the screens that have 20 fields on them, all super tiny... just an abomination. GunLog is a lot better, but very generic in my opinion.

I've tried to remedy a lot of those issues in my app.
Weather is pulled from the closest METAR station. It will actually tell you which one, and how far away. Wind will always be a local phenomenon unfortunately, and that's something I just can't programmatically get without bluetooth linking with the kestrel. I do compute the density altitude and show that if you have your own dope tables.

Another thing I have done is that you can save your dope tables generated from the ballistics program, and then edit them with your own observed data.

Well, I could talk about this all day since I've been working on it for months now. If you want to try mine own and give me some feedback, feel free to PM with your email addy.

-Jacob
Over weight Telco guy with a FFL/07 for hire :)
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

So far so good.

I like how the ballistics settings pull from your inventory of guns. Nice not to have to enter in a bunch of stuff twice.

I really like the mil-dot/MOA scope reticle display on the ballistics calculator for hold over/under/etc. Very cool.
One thing that would be nice for speed would be a display of "clicks" of adjustment. You would need to be able to put in the scope turret adjustment increment and it would probably need to be able to handle a scope that has mil-dot with MOA turrets (I have two scopes like this, don't ask me why they are like this :) ). If I want "fast" that's what I would need.

One thing that is missing is a database of projectiles with their BC. Looking up BC's is a PITA! The KAC software has this for popular bullets.

One thing I found interesting when watching Magpul's The Art of The Precision Rifle was that the HORUS ballistics computer they were using had a "fudge factor" calculations where you could input the actual POI information and it would adjust the trajectory information with those changes in mind (real world vs. calculations)
jh125486

Post by jh125486 »

chrismartin wrote:So far so good.

I like how the ballistics settings pull from your inventory of guns. Nice not to have to enter in a bunch of stuff twice.

I really like the mil-dot/MOA scope reticle display on the ballistics calculator for hold over/under/etc. Very cool.
One thing that would be nice for speed would be a display of "clicks" of adjustment. You would need to be able to put in the scope turret adjustment increment and it would probably need to be able to handle a scope that has mil-dot with MOA turrets (I have two scopes like this, don't ask me why they are like this :) ). If I want "fast" that's what I would need.

One thing that is missing is a database of projectiles with their BC. Looking up BC's is a PITA! The KAC software has this for popular bullets.

One thing I found interesting when watching Magpul's The Art of The Precision Rifle was that the HORUS ballistics computer they were using had a "fudge factor" calculations where you could input the actual POI information and it would adjust the trajectory information with those changes in mind (real world vs. calculations)
When you add/edit a Ballistic Profile, you can choose a bullet with the "Select a Bullet" button in the Bullet Section. Bullets are organized by brand/category, then by name.

I will add the display for the mils/MOA clicks. Next release :)

You can save a Dope Table to your weapon, and then edit the drops/drifts. I haven't actually used the Horus software, so I can tell if if it's adjusting the actual trajectory, or just using the specified POI info at those certain ranges. I think the Horus is a standalone HP, so I probably won't get my hands on one anyway :(

Also, I haven't provided any documentation at this point because I wanted unbiased feedback on usability. Thanks!
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

jh125486 wrote: When you add/edit a Ballistic Profile, you can choose a bullet with the "Select a Bullet" button in the Bullet Section. Bullets are organized by brand/category, then by name.
I didn't realize that was a button. I thought it was just a title bar.

Thanks!
jh125486

Post by jh125486 »

chrismartin wrote:
jh125486 wrote: When you add/edit a Ballistic Profile, you can choose a bullet with the "Select a Bullet" button in the Bullet Section. Bullets are organized by brand/category, then by name.
I didn't realize that was a button. I thought it was just a title bar.

Thanks!
Yeah, I'm still very new to this iphone programming. Most of my work has been air force/army weapon systems stuff, where there are a hundred pages of docs to get two computers to talk to each other, but no guidance on what color to shade a button ;)
Is there any way you think to make it more "button like" ? I can place it inside the cell and have all four corners rounded, or just change the color perhaps.

Thanks!
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

jh125486 wrote:
Yeah, I'm still very new to this iphone programming. Most of my work has been air force/army weapon systems stuff, where there are a hundred pages of docs to get two computers to talk to each other, but no guidance on what color to shade a button ;)
Is there any way you think to make it more "button like" ? I can place it inside the cell and have all four corners rounded, or just change the color perhaps.

Thanks!
Yes, if it were inside the cell with all the corners rounded the same, it would look more like a button.
With the rounded top corner and the sharp bottom corners, to me, it looks more like just a shaded cell.

for example, if you look at your black "yards/m" and "g7/g1" buttons, those to me are buttons, no question.
Similarly, the "WX" button in the solution assistance area is obviously a button, as are all the buttons in the ballistics profiles area. In both of those situations, the buttons are inside a cell and have equally rounded corners.

I would recommend reading:
http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/ ... ction.html

I've been an Apple user a very long time. If there is one thing that makes or breaks an app it's the UI and following the guidelines as much as you can. Apple users can be very finicky about apps. The more "Apple" like they are, the more comfortable the user will be with the app because it works like all the other apps that shipped on the phone.

Now, that said, the iPhone is a platform that is unique more than just the Mac. So, apps have more leeway on functionality and feel. However, stray too far and make things difficult on the user (as you mentioned before with the KAC app and a bunch of small cels, using the full keyboard when only numbers are expected, etc) and it won't be as popular and will garner complaints. Plus, following the guidelines can make the app easy to use, intuitive and instantly familiar as well.

Just my $.02
Last edited by chrismartin on Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

Another suggestion...

For those of us with multiple devices, it would be nice not to have to enter any data more than once.
Is there a way to store (or backup/restore) the data files for the app in iCloud?

http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/ ... Cloud.html
jh125486

Post by jh125486 »

chrismartin wrote:Another suggestion...

For those of us with multiple devices, it would be nice not to have to enter any data more than once.
Is there a way to store (or backup/restore) the data files for the app in iCloud?

http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/ ... Cloud.html

Yes, I'm actually using a library called MagicalRecord, which makes CoreData a whole lot less stupid. It should just be a few lines of code to switch over to iCloud. The bigger issue is that each view has to check whether the data from iCloud is more current than the cached data on the device. Shouldn't really be too hard though, I just didn't know if that would be something people would be using.
epicdoom
Silent But Deadly

Post by epicdoom »

Android App? something your working on? I want to try this out I have several apps for shooting. Some features are better then others Im looking for an all in one and this sounds like it fits my needs.

Joe
It's truely amazing what the mind can conceive and prompt the hands to create <---Mine..
Semper Fi
jh125486

Post by jh125486 »

chrismartin wrote:So far so good.

I'm debating whether the input for the Elevation/Windage clicks should be a decimal pad, or a picker.
Seems like all the regular scopes are either 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 or 1 click per MIL/MOA.
Since its only four values, to me it would be easier to select that from a picker than input with a keyboard. The second part of the picker would be the MIL or MOA selection.
What do you think?
jh125486

Post by jh125486 »

epicdoom wrote:Android App? something your working on? I want to try this out I have several apps for shooting. Some features are better then others Im looking for an all in one and this sounds like it fits my needs.

Joe

I've got a friend who does Android apps and he's already expressed interest in porting it over to Android. It will take a few months though, and I am deploying early July.
I'll keep this thread updated with any info he has.

-Jacob
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

jh125486 wrote: I'm debating whether the input for the Elevation/Windage clicks should be a decimal pad, or a picker.
Seems like all the regular scopes are either 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 or 1 click per MIL/MOA.
Since its only four values, to me it would be easier to select that from a picker than input with a keyboard. The second part of the picker would be the MIL or MOA selection.
What do you think?
I would expect a picker (speaking as an iphone app user)
Typing in would also require examples (type in "1/4" "4" ".25"?) and you would have to do bounds/error checking to make sure I typed in a value that you are expecting, especially if you were planning on using the input in the calculation.

Aren't most mil scopes .1mil?
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

jh125486 wrote: Yes, I'm actually using a library called MagicalRecord, which makes CoreData a whole lot less stupid. It should just be a few lines of code to switch over to iCloud. The bigger issue is that each view has to check whether the data from iCloud is more current than the cached data on the device. Shouldn't really be too hard though, I just didn't know if that would be something people would be using.
Considering I have two ipads, one iphone and one ipod, yes, _I_ would use it :)
Plus, I'll be upgrading to the newest iphone whenever it ships this fall/winter and may turn the old iphone into an ipod of sorts (or dedicated gun range tool)

But, you are right, not everyone would use it, so prioritize that feature as you see fit.
epicdoom
Silent But Deadly

Post by epicdoom »

Awesome look forward to it. will send you my home email addy keep me posted Pls.
It's truely amazing what the mind can conceive and prompt the hands to create <---Mine..
Semper Fi
jh125486

Post by jh125486 »

chrismartin wrote:
jh125486 wrote: I'm debating whether the input for the Elevation/Windage clicks should be a decimal pad, or a picker.
What do you think?
I would expect a picker (speaking as an iphone app user)
Typing in would also require examples (type in "1/4" "4" ".25"?) and you would have to do bounds/error checking to make sure I typed in a value that you are expecting, especially if you were planning on using the input in the calculation.

Aren't most mil scopes .1mil?
Ha, my ACOG is sometimes .1 mil.... and then sometimes .25mil. Other times I think clockwise and counterclockwise switch. I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be .25/mil all the time though.

I do think most mil scopes are .1/mil. I've read that Leupold is .05/mil, but that's still only 6 values for a picker, which is acceptable.
ChimeraPrecision
Silent But Deadly

Post by ChimeraPrecision »

ap is cool, looking forward to digging in
Keep calm, and suppress on