My grandson got a splinter in his hand today.

Discuss anything with like-minded people.
No posting of copyrighted material.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

rogerme
Silent But Deadly

My grandson got a splinter in his hand today.

Post by rogerme »

So I am sleeping about 11:30 and I hear Brittony ( my daughter) scream my name in the bloody murder voice. I figure Kevin ( grandson #1 will be 4 next month ) has done something to Gavin ( grandson #2 will be 2 in October ) and there is blood. Well to my surprise the door opens and in walks Britt and Kevin and Kevin is screaming and has a large chunk of wood sticking out of his hand! Gavin had decided to push Kevin off the bunk bed and Kevin got his hand caught on the ladder and had a big splinter break off. Britt thought he just fell so she went over to him he was fine but held up the hand with the "splinter" sticking out of it and she freaked. So a trip to the hospital a little surgery to remove it 6 stitches and Kevin got some good drugs as he is out of it big time. He is all fine now it was just under the skin no damage to anything. He is in on the big bed watching cartons until he passes out from the looks of him this will not take to long. The nurse gave him a stuffed Lamb that he wont let go of now.. A picture is worth a thousand words...

"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: My grandson got a splinter in his hand today.

Post by Bendersquint »

rogerme wrote:So I am sleeping about 11:30 and I hear Brittony ( my daughter) scream my name in the bloody murder voice. I figure Kevin ( grandson #1 will be 4 next month ) has done something to Gavin ( grandson #2 will be 2 in October ) and there is blood. Well to my surprise the door opens and in walks Britt and Kevin and Kevin is screaming and has a large chunk of wood sticking out of his hand! Gavin had decided to push Kevin off the bunk bed and Kevin got his hand caught on the ladder and had a big splinter break off. Britt thought he just fell so she went over to him he was fine but held up the hand with the "splinter" sticking out of it and she freaked. So a trip to the hospital a little surgery to remove it 6 stitches and Kevin got some good drugs as he is out of it big time. He is all fine now it was just under the skin no damage to anything. He is in on the big bed watching cartons until he passes out from the looks of him this will not take to long. The nurse gave him a stuffed Lamb that he wont let go of now.. A picture is worth a thousand words...

Good lord, thats a tree limb!

Glad to hear there was nothing but skin damaged! Wow!
stevejobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by stevejobs »

Sand that bunk bed.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

I just felt a sharp pain in my nuts after seeing that pic.
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

stevejobs wrote:Sand that bunk bed.
The ladder was store bought from a bunk bed and was sanded and finished very well. I THINK he or his brother had smashed a toy on the to or the ladder to cause the splinter to start. I padded them today when we got home form the hospital.
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
BISHOP
Silent But Deadly

Post by BISHOP »

HOLY s--t!!!!!!!!!!
I'm happy to hear its all fine now and there isn't any damage to the hand.
Poor little boy.
My little boy turns 4 in 3 months, I can't immagine that happening to him.

BISHOP
The Rusty wire, that holds the cork, that keeps the anger in, gives way.....
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

Awe man, that is terrible, the poor kid. :cry:

That's not a splinter, its a frigging vampire stake. :shock:
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
Maser
Silent But Deadly

Post by Maser »

So getting a pic of it to post on a gun forum was a higher priority than getting him to the hospital first? :shock:

Anyways, glad the little guy is okay. I'm not a Grandfather yet, but do have 2 young sons and it's never a good sight to see a kid so young injured. :(
My intelligence is like a suppressed rimfire pistol. You may not be able to hear it, but it certainly always hits its mark.
Sigproshooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sigproshooter »

:shock:

wow.

Blade would be envious!!!!
Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death.
Sun Tzu
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

Maser wrote:So getting a pic of it to post on a gun forum was a higher priority than getting him to the hospital first? :shock: ...
How you act around an injured person will impact how they react. Your actions, your expression, tone, etc influences them. In swiftwater rescue(for example), taking the time to smile and reassure the swimmer can make the difference between the victim listening to your commands vs trying to climb on top of your head to get out of the water.

In this case, you can panic, scream and rush him to the car while 1/2 naked and help to induce some additional panic.

...Or you could take some time to reassure him in a calm voice that he's going to be fine while taking 3 seconds to grab a picture that he can show his friends later while you quickly grab your keys and get the other kids squared away on the way to the emergency room.

Remember, how you act can make them easy to work with, or more difficult.

Now, you can think about what I wrote and consider the possible scenarios... or you could reply with additional presumptuous, self-righteous and judgmental indignation as if he took the time to post the picture on the forum before he left.

I'm glad the little kido is ok. Hopefully there isn't any nerve damage.
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
D9M9TR9S
Silent But Deadly

Post by D9M9TR9S »

:shock: :shock: :shock: Whooooaa!!! I was NOT expecting that. He's gonna have a cool scar to talk about in kindergarten
CThomas
Silent But Deadly

Post by CThomas »

Damn that hurts just to look at, seriously!!!
I think getting a picture is always smart and shows a cool and collected person.

During a HS basketball game my friend's kid slid on the gym floor on his ass and became impaled on the gym floor.
Apparently one of the boards was cracked. The fire dept had to chop up the floor around him and use a flat spade to break the boards loose that were under his ass. :shock:
My friend is an attorney. Can you say college money
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

Maser wrote:So getting a pic of it to post on a gun forum was a higher priority than getting him to the hospital first? :shock:

Anyways, glad the little guy is okay. I'm not a Grandfather yet, but do have 2 young sons and it's never a good sight to see a kid so young injured. :(

No the pictures where for him. I would love to have pictures of all my scars. I have taken basic medical training. I assessed the wound and being that it was basically a flesh wound with almost no bleeding to speak of and Kevin was not even crying as he had looked to me and seen I was not scared. The important thing in this case and others is knowing NOT to try to remove the object as that can be where damage could occur to in this case the hand. My daughter had to get the other grandson into the truck and secured in his seat anyway. Then we had to drive 25 min to get to the ER ( I live in the sticks ). Then we get to the hospital we waited a hour to get him into surgery as there was no rush.

Also if you have two sons then get ready. Things like this will occur at some point. When they do make sure when they look up at you they see your confident and telling them that it will be ok they will look to you to see how bad it really is. If you panic they will see it and it will be twice as hard for them. Boys get hurt we all did and will continue to do. I told my daughter form the birth of grandson #2 to expect these things she did not trust me. Expect the worst and be ready. You will have plenty of time to worry when they are in the er and your in the waiting room.

Clint Smith
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

Well went to the doc today he took off he bandage and says all if looking good after just 4 days. Amazing how fast kids heal. Kewl blue stitches I only had the military issue black growing up..

Clint Smith
Maser
Silent But Deadly

Post by Maser »

The sight of stitches makes me cringe not because of the stitches, but rather the painful shot of procaine that is given IN the wound before the stitches start. Got that same treatment when I was 7 and got shot in the knee with a crossbow. Those docs and nurses NEVER heard a 7 year old scream and cuss like that in their lives I bet. :(
My intelligence is like a suppressed rimfire pistol. You may not be able to hear it, but it certainly always hits its mark.
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

I had so many stitches growing up I lost count.

Clint Smith
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

Just one more case for synthetic v. wood.
tuckerrnr1
Silent But Deadly

Post by tuckerrnr1 »

Glad the young man is ok and someone find a sock so Maser so he can stuff one in it.
[img]http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m264/19283938/kookaid.gif[/img]
jupiterdraft
Silent But Deadly

Post by jupiterdraft »

Glad that boy is okay. That's one hell of a splinter; and yes, it will be an awesome story for him when he goes to school...
The gene pool needs a shock treatment!

Diapers & Politicians...
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

jupiterdraft wrote:Glad that boy is okay. That's one hell of a splinter; and yes, it will be an awesome story for him when he goes to school...
Even better with pictures.. LOL

Clint Smith
Tango2249
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tango2249 »

Amazing that it only took 6 stitches to close the wound. Glad to hear that he was alright.
“The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” - Samuel Adams
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

Updated picture.

Clint Smith
morpheus
Silent But Deadly

Post by morpheus »

Holy cow; the first thing I thought when I saw the original picture was, oh no I bet he bagged the radial nerve with that one. I'm assuming his thumb is working normal? The kid is dang lucky; it could have had a worse outcome given the proximity to very important anatomical structures. Very impressive to say the least.
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

morpheus wrote:Holy cow; the first thing I thought when I saw the original picture was, oh no I bet he bagged the radial nerve with that one. I'm assuming his thumb is working normal? The kid is dang lucky; it could have had a worse outcome given the proximity to very important anatomical structures. Very impressive to say the least.
No damage at all it was just under the skin. You can almost see the wood through the skin.

Clint Smith
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

:)

That's healing up nicely.

Brings back a lot of memories and makes all my old scars itch. I've shaved, scraped and sliced more pieces off than I care to remember but I never had a piercing like that.

Lucky the "splinter" broke off and didn't tear out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895