Sprayed with powder

Be careful -- low-volume ratio loads can detonate. Mangement not responsible for load data. Use at your own risk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

barrybrice

Sprayed with powder

Post by barrybrice »

I am having an issue with a load design that I need some feedback on. The problem is that I am getting cover with grains of powder when I shoot my latest custom load. I have recently purchased a suppressor and have developed a subsonic load for it. I have used a chronograph in my development. I have also switched my primers from CCI 500 to CCI 550 (magnum) hoping this would help but it did not make a difference. I feel now that my issue may simply be I am shooting at too slow a velocity (edit: since the data below I have up the charge to 4.8g at a fps of 975 and still have the same problem). Here are the details:

Glock 26 with Longwolf barrel
SWR Octane 9 HD suppressor
WW lead boolits at 156g
4.0g of Alliant Power Pistol
CCI 550 primer
Average fps is 830
eric10mm
Silent But Deadly

Re: Sprayed with powder

Post by eric10mm »

Glocks are just spitters. Wear eye-protection and keep on keepin' on.
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

My Glock 19 and Trinity won't spit.

Glock 19 with Bar Sto barrel
Gemtech Trinity suppressor
Berrys plated 147
4.0g of Alliant Bullseye
CCI 500 primer
Average fps is 980
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

My Glock spits with my Trident and Evo9. Doesn't matter the load its just how the Glock is.
jt526
Silent But Deadly

Post by jt526 »

Maybe try a faster powder? I get good results with w231 or VV320. FPS is low with my load ~860 or so, but quiet.

Here is a powder comparison chart I always thought was cool.

http://www.reloadbench.com/burn.html
Stupid, stupid NFA items.
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Post by wildfowler »

I've got a glock 17 and have a 147 grain load that uses power pistol. My velocity is a little higher, but it still covers me with powder.

I've since switched to bullseye and have less issue.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

I see a marked difference between my 4.2 gr. of VV N340 behind a precision delta 147 gr. and something like the Winchester white box out of my Glock. The the white box spits everywhere and the hand load doesn't. I also see a big difference out of my SWD M-11. I would be looking at a powder change if it were me.
barrybrice

Post by barrybrice »

Dtom29,
Thanks for your input. I have been reading a lot of good things about VihtaVuori powders. Seems like a lot of people are having good results with N320 and N330. I read somewhere that the N330 was specifically for subsonic rounds. I am planning on ordering some from Powder Valley in the next week to try out. I am hoping that I can find some folks here in Jacksonville that want to go in together on an order to save on the shipping.