Pressure calculations so my can doesn't potentially fail.

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

rqlasl
Silent But Deadly

Pressure calculations so my can doesn't potentially fail.

Post by rqlasl »

Hoping someone can give a little guidance. Im hoping with the limited info Im posting someone can figure out if the pressure levels are a no-go.

One of my form 1 cans is a 60 degree cone design. 1.340 Id and 1.550 od (Yes, its a maglite tube. I was lazy at the time.
Threaded both ends and 12 inches long (I know its way longer than it had to be)
Blast baffle is 304SS and the 5/8x24 threads are steel. The rest of the construction is aluminum.

Basically I want to use it for hunting.
30.06 with a 16. inch barrel and 125 grain loads doing 2700 fps

I have fired uncounted 300 blackout rounds thru it but am concerned about the higher muzzle pressure with my hunting load.

I am guessing the additional internal volume of the can should reduce the internal pressure.

Thank you in advance for your guidance as always.
3strucking
Silent Operator

Re: Pressure calculations so my can doesn't potentially fail.

Post by 3strucking »

I don’t think it will make much difference. A 16” barreled 06 is going to be loud. What TPI did you use for the end caps?
rqlasl
Silent But Deadly

Re: Pressure calculations so my can doesn't potentially fail.

Post by rqlasl »

20 tpi and its definitely loud. I shot a deer with it once while it had a muzzle brake on it......ONCE!

I took the brake off while I was still in my stand. Blurred my vision for a second kind of loud.