A 22.

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Racing

A 22.

Post by Racing »

Dunno if i´ve touched upon it before but sometimes.. just sometimes when it comes to firearms it´s turned simpler to us than it is in the US.
Supressors were let completely out of the box last july 1st why it´s perfectly legal to own, use, make as long as you´re legally entitled to own the rifle in case.

Well. One of them to me is an old Anschutz model 1416. Threaded 1/2-28UNEF up front.

So. Thought i´d quiet it down, severely, while keeping the inherent accuracy of it still on par.

As i´m in it to learn for starters i thought to myself i´d just keep it a modular setup, thus being able to pull simple modification-s on the fly so to say.

Linearity being imperative i opted to cut the base for the thing as including the first "fire chamber". Thus providing a base for lining the body of the thing up too. As it turned out, a seeing the objectives here rather wise choice.

Yes. For a 22 it´s INSANELY large and in turn sturdy. Albeit material thickness is held back it´s still made all out of steel apart from the top cap (which is aluminium). This as noted to stand up way better to tossing around and replacing innards, but also to pick apart and clean out as 22lr.. think of it what you will be rather clean burning n running.. not so much.

Thing is 37mm within and in turn on a 1mm thickness. Length i ended up at a full 170mm worth. Innards in turn i´ve made three setups thus far, one making good use of old fashioned freeze plugs but truth be told nah.. just adds weight to no avail as far as i´m concerned.
Then for first up just a straight baffle setup, then a "semi cone shaped" setup on approx 30deg and finally one on 60.
Next up want to come to dwell on the use of K baffles, mainly to see what´s there to be had.
For all three setups ample "decompression holes" drilled and in turn offset bias gas holes for the through ones.

As linearity was kept rather anal as far as approach i seem to get away with rather close tolerance throughs. As my main occupation these days is within the musical industry i keep an at least decent dB meter and have measured "the bang" at a distance of 1m from the muzzle at 90 degrees.

What has struck me is that for the sub sonic ammo used the differences in dampening "work" they differ rather little? Uhu. All to aware that keeping sound down for a 22 sub is about as simple as they come, i guess, i´ve still been impressed with how "Hollywood silent" this thing has become.
The firing pin going at it is about it as you get behind the thing.

That said, from you guys way more capable than me, what is to be expected going to 60deg K baffle design?

As of this writing i still haven´t been able to get to the range to see what gives as far as any accuracy differences. It being an Anschutz (they´re around in abundance and costs of like.. nothing over here in Europe) it of course sports very very good accuracy as is - as you spent the time figuring out what the gun asks for.
In this case mainly SK rifle match and SK pistol match special. They´ve handed me approx 1060+fps across the chrono thus far.
When i do my part common group size is like a thumb nail worth at the 100 meter birm.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Re: A 22.

Post by Historian »

Kudos!

Thank you for showing, on a rare visit
to this once top site, and presenting
an impressive build in the miasma
of random and tedious spams.

Your can volume should reward you.

Plese post future results.

Best