223 coaxial

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

tuknal

223 coaxial

Post by tuknal »

hi fellas im in australia im a contract shooter and ive got all relevant permits so,,,
im looking at building a coaxial suppressor for a 223 bolt action rifle
im looking for plans or advise in regards to size how many baffles and spacings of baffles and spacings between tubes
or maybe and omega type baffle ,,ive search this forum hi and low for info but found none specifically for 223
this site doesnt seem to get much action but its the only one i know of and you guys over there have alot more experience than i do
any help is much appreciated
mr fixit
Silent But Deadly

Re: 223 coaxial

Post by mr fixit »

Greetings.
First I just want to ask why do you want coaxial? Just curious if there is any specific reason for that design versus a direct thread.

For a bolt rifle, which doesn't have a problem with back pressure since the action stays closed, a direct thread suppressor that does not extend back over the barrel will do just as good of a job. Also keep in mind if you are shooting full power .223 ammunition (not subsonic rounds) no matter how good the suppressor quiets the explosion of powder you will still have a sonic crack as the bullet passes about 1100 feet per second of speed.
Were I in your shoes and were building this can, I would build a suppressor about 7" long, 1.5" outside diameter with a wall thickness of .065", I would use 7 60 degree cone baffles and space the first one about 1/2-3/4" from the muzzle of the barrel when attached and the remainder of the baffles evenly spaced throughout the remaining length of the suppressor.

Good luck, let us know what you do.
tuknal

Re: 223 coaxial

Post by tuknal »

im trying to achieve the most noise reduction possible in the area i can control
i know itll never be silent ,,i always use supersonic ammo
i was thinking outer tube ID 50mm ,,clip together baffle stack single clipped and aligned OD 35mm or around about ,,
the designs ive seen here make sense to me
gases have to travel forward then back then forward again to get out ,,it seem like itd have to work
i may just be going down a rabbit hole here but like i said it seems like a good idea