Best way to clean aluminum baffles?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Willie Lowman

Best way to clean aluminum baffles?

Post by Willie Lowman »

I recently had my old Trident 9 jail broke. I have shot a few hundred rounds through it and I took it apart to clean. I had to use my baffle pusher to get the baffles out. They did not want to budge at first.

I wiped them down with Hoppes 9 and scrubbed with a toothbrush. On reassembly I had a hard time pushing the baffles back into the tube.

I don't think I did a very good job. I have also read after doing this that Hoppes isn't good for aluminum.

So what is the best method to clean aluminum baffles?
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Re: Best way to clean aluminum baffles?

Post by a_canadian »

You could polish the outer surfaces of the baffles if it's difficult to push them back into the tube. If there is scoring in the tube you could polish that a bit to make insertion easier. Just don't go nuts and lose too much metal.

As with most things, prevention is better than cure. A number of folks on NFAtalk have been discussing various additives which make cleaning easier. We seem to be settling on Silaramic brake grease, applied thinly to the first few baffles after the muzzle. It won't put off cleaning indefinitely, but if re-applied every few dozen shots, maybe every 100, it will make sliding the baffle stack out easier and cleaning the baffles almost too easy. Expensive grease but applied modestly a tube or can of it will last for years of shooting. Comparing to white lithium grease which I've used for years, the smoke and stink are vastly less, almost smokeless and odorless, as it's designed for very high temperature use.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

A trick we used in service was dropping suppressors in lite hydraulic oil after shooting and before cleaning. It keeps the carbon soft so you can brush it off. A mixture of 50% simple green & water heated, works well for all gun parts. Parts are only dipped for a few minutes not soaked for hours.
Simple green & Hoppes #9 will dissolve aluminum given enough time. I have never seen any issue with the diluted simple green and soaking for short periods. Aluminum safe SG is made though I have never used it.
-CL
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
3strucking
Silent Operator

Post by 3strucking »

Thanks Captain for the info. The knowledge you willingly share is greatly appreciated.
Willie Lowman

Post by Willie Lowman »

Well I just ordered a gallon of the aircraft grade aluminum safe Simple Green. I'll let you know how it works.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Willie Lowman wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:07 am Well I just ordered a gallon of the aircraft grade aluminum safe Simple Green. I'll let you know how it works.
I hope it works as well. Granger sells lite oils or you can use ATF, power steering fluid, Power brake oil at higher cost. WD-40 is very cheap by the gallon though I have never used it for this use. Don't forget a tooth brush and paste for stubborn spots.
Many including myself think a little carbon left on the baffles helps suppression. Its when you have more carbon than baffle or the ports clog up that cleaning is required. Use this first clean to set a routine.
Ps: Welcome
-CL
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895