Fuel filter suppressor

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Re: Fuel filter suppressor

Post by doubloon »

I think you're supposed to destroy them not put them in a bucket.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

doubloon wrote:I think you're supposed to destroy them not put them in a bucket.
Why do you say that?
daviscustom
Silent But Deadly

Post by daviscustom »

That would be very interesting to see pics of the contents of your scrap bucket.......a very informative companion to the baffle pics thread.

"Crappy Baffle Pics Only....baffles not to make"

"Baffles that Suck"
The myopic majority will be our republic's undoing.
Sdustin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sdustin »

I think since he's got the correct SOT he doesn't have to destroy any silencer part. Different rules for those that are in the business VS us lowly regular citizens. In reality none of this should be illegal. If you ask me they should be treated as any other gun part. Sold made bought with no special taxes licenses or permission. It's all bull s--t. They treat a can of metal the sane as a machine gun. Come on. It doesn't ever fire a bullet. Its a safety device. Then most states that they are legal they make it illegal to hunt with. Hunting is the one best time to use one. Who wears ear muffs/plugs when they hunt. You need to hear the game and that's the one time I ever fire a gun without eat pro.

I wonder what we can do to try to change this? and in response to the statement about a state making it illegal to enforce federal gun laws, good luck with that. Several states have firearms freedom acts, that state the weapons and silencers made in said state sold in said state And that stay in said state are not covered under federal law. So in theory I could make a can mark it made in Georgia an wouldn't violate any laws except on the federal level. They only claim that their laws are legal(the Feds) under interstate commerce so again in theory I should be found not guilty, and if there was one person that was willing to go through this and set precedent it should open the door and we all should be covered. I mean if WA and CO can say weed is legal why ant georgia say that a gun muffler is?
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Dustin is right, as a manufacturer I can have all the baffles I want to have, generally I destroy the real bad ones as I can't even bear to look at them.
daviscustom
Silent But Deadly

Post by daviscustom »

I'm sure you are a busy guy, but even if you did destroy them, you could snap a picture first.....at least of the ones that are interesting. Like you said, I'm sure some of them aren't worth the time, but anything that looks plausible and just doesn't work would be very interesting.

I think that would be a great service to the community.
The myopic majority will be our republic's undoing.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

daviscustom wrote:I'm sure you are a busy guy, but even if you did destroy them, you could snap a picture first.....at least of the ones that are interesting. Like you said, I'm sure some of them aren't worth the time, but anything that looks plausible and just doesn't work would be very interesting.

I think that would be a great service to the community.
Will see what i can work on.

Anything "plausible" would have to be released by the maker though.
Sdustin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sdustin »

i also would like to see some of these home brewed baffles
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns
BigBilly

Post by BigBilly »

the45 wrote:Okay guys you all keep saying that this would be illegal to do and I don't believe it would be. What i'm saying is I would obtain a form 1 to build my own suppressor and then once that was in hand I would go and buy this fuel filter. Next I would gut the filter and only use the end caps and tube. I would then create my own custom baffles (ones that would not wear out quicker then any other baffles of similar design) and fit them into the tube. What would be illegal about this? I understand that once it was made I would not be able to make new baffles or change any of the parts and I have no intention of doing so...

Really this idea is no different then those threads here on people who have used maglites to turn into suppressors and yet no one has every accused them of trying to break the law. The reality is that something like this would not be worth even the slightest risk of trying to make illegally. Yet for the same reasons why others think a flashlight suppressor is a cool idea I like this design. I do have access to a lathe however I don't own one and it will require me to either pay for the shop time or become a burden on others. I simply started this thread so see if anyone had any ideas on the easiest way to attach this tube to a 1/2-28 size thread and to see if others have heard of it being done in the past.
Forgive a noob for resurrecting an apparently controversial topic that has been dead for a while, but the 4003 filter and its clones have 3/4 NPT female threads on the caps. Here's a link to a gentleman in Florida who sells a flash hider with concentric 3/4 NPT male threads https://www.gunthreadadapters.com/shop/ ... ized-4140/ for the explicit purpose of serving as a quick attachment for a solvent trap. A section of 1 5/16" O.D. A513 Type 5 DOM tubing (or 1 5/16" O.D. whatever you like) will fit very nearly perfectly inside the body of a 4003 filter. If you do not have access to a welder, this could be a pretty decent way to build an open-ended freeze-plug core (that would be held in place by compression) for a pre-made body. Is it the lazy way? Of course it is, but I think this would work quite nicely. Does anyone know of a reason that this couldn't be accomplished legally through the Form 1 process?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

BigBilly wrote:
the45 wrote:Okay guys you all keep saying that this would be illegal to do and I don't believe it would be. What i'm saying is I would obtain a form 1 to build my own suppressor and then once that was in hand I would go and buy this fuel filter. Next I would gut the filter and only use the end caps and tube. I would then create my own custom baffles (ones that would not wear out quicker then any other baffles of similar design) and fit them into the tube. What would be illegal about this? I understand that once it was made I would not be able to make new baffles or change any of the parts and I have no intention of doing so...

Really this idea is no different then those threads here on people who have used maglites to turn into suppressors and yet no one has every accused them of trying to break the law. The reality is that something like this would not be worth even the slightest risk of trying to make illegally. Yet for the same reasons why others think a flashlight suppressor is a cool idea I like this design. I do have access to a lathe however I don't own one and it will require me to either pay for the shop time or become a burden on others. I simply started this thread so see if anyone had any ideas on the easiest way to attach this tube to a 1/2-28 size thread and to see if others have heard of it being done in the past.
Forgive a noob for resurrecting an apparently controversial topic that has been dead for a while, but the 4003 filter and its clones have 3/4 NPT female threads on the caps. Here's a link to a gentleman in Florida who sells a flash hider with concentric 3/4 NPT male threads https://www.gunthreadadapters.com/shop/ ... ized-4140/ for the explicit purpose of serving as a quick attachment for a solvent trap. A section of 1 5/16" O.D. A513 Type 5 DOM tubing (or 1 5/16" O.D. whatever you like) will fit very nearly perfectly inside the body of a 4003 filter. If you do not have access to a welder, this could be a pretty decent way to build an open-ended freeze-plug core (that would be held in place by compression) for a pre-made body. Is it the lazy way? Of course it is, but I think this would work quite nicely. Does anyone know of a reason that this couldn't be accomplished legally through the Form 1 process?
Its a waste and the "filter" would be the registered part and when its is destroyed you stamp gets shredded.

There is a reason the thread died.
BigBilly

Post by BigBilly »

Bendersquint wrote:
BigBilly wrote:

Its a waste and the "filter" would be the registered part and when its is destroyed you stamp gets shredded.

There is a reason the thread died.
That would certainly be a rank risk of about $300 and several months of one's life, but how can you be so sure that the service life of a "sleeved" fuel filter body wouldn't be more than adequate for a shooter who, for example, only uses it while hog hunting at night and is unlikely to put the stress of even 100 rounds through it over the space of several years? It's not my intention to ruffle feathers or poke sleepy grizzlies, I simply think there's an opportunity for a meaningful discussion that goes beyond "this is easily labeled a stupid idea".
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

There is nothing to discuss, its been discussed many times here before and always the same conclusion, its a stupid idea and the thread dies.
BigBilly

Post by BigBilly »

Bendersquint wrote:There is nothing to discuss, its been discussed many times here before and always the same conclusion, its a stupid idea and the thread dies.
Okay, but I've searched through a lot (probably not all) of those same discussions and I haven't been able to figure out why an 11" section of 2" diameter schedule 160 6061 aluminum with 3/4 NPT fittings on both ends lined with a 1 5/16" steel core with freeze plug baffles would be a stupid idea and I'm hoping that someone here with more experience than me can explain the nuts and bolts (particularly at the end of a 16" 7.62x39 barrel). Anyone up to it?
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

It's amazing how requests for technical info tend to turn into Legal discussion threads.
Here's the place for all the people who enjoy flaming and bashing viewforum.php?f=4 :idea:
Let's please limit technical threads to technical NOT LEGAL answers.
PS: If anyone here is a US District Attorney please post your contact info so that we know your opinion actually carries some weight. Otherwise, let people read the atf.gov site, the Legal Forum link above, or conduct their own research. There are publications put out summarizing legislation and rulings for those that want them. Bloomberg Publishing put some out. Vernon's, Black's and others do too.
Please remember that not everyone reading these posts are located within the USA. Sometimes people want info just to improve their knowledge base, not to actually perform a build.
I read history books, but don't intend to travel to 1634, 1776, or 1969.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

If the Author of this thread wants a can made from a fuel filter that he can take to the range along with his Form 1 and NFA Stamp, and have everyone come over and congratulate him on a unique and clever build, more power to him.
BTW, the paper filter is a bad idea from a performance standpoint. The perforated sheetmetal is good though. It has sound cancellation and heatsink properties.
the45 wrote:Im not exactly sure on the WIX filter but i found this Image
Great pic!!! I've seen cops I work with make Form 1 builds out of 4D-cell Maglite handles. They don't usually work as well as commercially produced cans, but their pride in making it w their own hands outweighs the drop in performance.
Anyone who wants to make a Form 1 build, my hat's off to you. You have the pioneer spirit that made this country great!!! All the flamers can go back to France or Cummunist China or N Korea. They would fit in far better there with Dennis Rodman for a bunkmate.
BigBilly

Post by BigBilly »

I did some more research last night and realized that the body of a 4003 fuel filter is NOT schedule 160 6061 aluminum as I suspected based on the exterior and interior dimensions. It's actually 2" 2024 T3 tubing.
eric10mm
Silent But Deadly

Post by eric10mm »

redtazdog wrote:
rqlasl wrote::shock: My Moma always said "Stupid is as stupid does"
Lets talk about doing something unlawfull on the world wild web :lol:
Where is that darned un-send button? I have some pictures out there that I would like to recall. :wink:
eric10mm
Silent But Deadly

Post by eric10mm »

doubloon wrote:I just think it's great to have someone we can PM for status on transfers. :mrgreen:
Really? GREAT!!! What's their screen name so I can IM a couple inquiries? :D
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

warjunky1428 wrote:I'm wondering how much blast abuse the filter material could take before it starts destroying itself from the muzzle to the end cap. Maybe for a pistol cartridge or .22lr, but I don't see that lasting long at all for a 5.56 even with a 16+" barrel.
Strip the paper filter before serialization/use. The perforated sheet metal is an adequate component. Slather it with Litium grease.
Since you are using this as a conversation starter, you might be sacrificing performance for appearance. A purpose built form 1 would sound MUCH better. The great feature of our Republic is if you have the resources and follow the Law, you can try most things.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

eric10mm wrote:
doubloon wrote:I just think it's great to have someone we can PM for status on transfers. :mrgreen:
Really? GREAT!!! What's their screen name so I can IM a couple inquiries? :D
I haven't identified them yet :|

I thought we caught one phishing but he claims to be a Canadian and that the machine gun parts he is discreetly shipping all over the world are for educashunal purposes only.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
kyle matthews

Post by kyle matthews »

You will only waste your 200 dollars in taxes
<Grey area>