5.56mm Sealed Can Build - Ongoing - UPDATE 10/6/2017

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Bienert

Re: 5.56mm Sealed Can Build - Ongoing - UPDATE 10/6/2017

Post by Bienert »

Special work. Congrats man. I really appreciate that.

I am curious about if it could be adapted to a 9mm pistol simply changing bore diameter or would you change the design.

Again, amazing job!
Cheers
missionmankind

Post by missionmankind »

This was a fantastic build to follow. I do have 2 dying questions though.

1. Do these DHC clips need to be aligned? I hear they dont necessarily need to be aligned.

2. Does clipping the first or last baffle negatively effect accuracy or improve it, or is the formula to leave the 1st and clip the last? Accuracy and reducing POI shifts are more important than sound suppression. Suppression is secondary to this. The Trash Panda video on youtube says something about the designers clipping or not clipping the blast baffle at the cost of accuracy but I have no idea what he meant. The baffle was never actually shown.

I always read about this where its hard to determine what the answer is.
missionmankind

Post by missionmankind »

So im assuming everyone left this thread long ago so my question above remains unanswered.
Fortunately I did find answers so ill just toot my own horn here.
Leaving the first blast baffel (simply a round bore hole) is whats most recommended if you want accuracy. You can also port the blast baffle, 6 to 8 ports centered around the bore, for improvement in trapping gas and beginning redirection of gas to its longest path.
In addition, I found that if you clip your blast baffle with ANY kind of clipping (single concentric clip, Dual Hybird Clip, etc.)
that sound CAN be slightly more suppressed (dB reduction) but you will experience POI shift. In other words clipping the first baffle causes accuracy loss.
Furthermore, Ive even noticed not only are some leaving the FIRST baffle alone, they are leaving the LAST baffle alone too which helps restabilize the gasses im guessing? Its hard to find this info but I did find it in a form1 thread where the website was closed and thread deleted. Might as well align the baffles.
Alligning them with the concentric clips up and down relative the barrel was a factor too but seems to be inconclusive. Id imagine its important to keep the gas moving smoothly at exit in the north and south position similar to a flash hider timing but Im unsure. Id put my money on aligning them with the smooth rounded clips facing up and down with the squared clips left and right.
mr fixit
Silent But Deadly

Post by mr fixit »

missionmankind wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:34 pm So im assuming everyone left this thread long ago so my question above remains unanswered.
Fortunately I did find answers so ill just toot my own horn here.
Leaving the first blast baffel (simply a round bore hole) is whats most recommended if you want accuracy. You can also port the blast baffle, 6 to 8 ports centered around the bore, for improvement in trapping gas and beginning redirection of gas to its longest path.
In addition, I found that if you clip your blast baffle with ANY kind of clipping (single concentric clip, Dual Hybird Clip, etc.)
that sound CAN be slightly more suppressed (dB reduction) but you will experience POI shift. In other words clipping the first baffle causes accuracy loss.
Furthermore, Ive even noticed not only are some leaving the FIRST baffle alone, they are leaving the LAST baffle alone too which helps restabilize the gasses im guessing? Its hard to find this info but I did find it in a form1 thread where the website was closed and thread deleted. Might as well align the baffles.
Alligning them with the concentric clips up and down relative the barrel was a factor too but seems to be inconclusive. Id imagine its important to keep the gas moving smoothly at exit in the north and south position similar to a flash hider timing but Im unsure. Id put my money on aligning them with the smooth rounded clips facing up and down with the squared clips left and right.
Lots of folks slowed down how much they visit the site when the spam was out of control. I'm sorry I missed your questions, I'll give my $.02 worth.
First, the DHC clip may not be the best clip style to use. Many have reported better results with different clip style, the most prevalent being the single radius clip. I have used the DHC and I can say that that can was quieter than a different can I also built, but there were other differences between the cans such as number of baffles and length so it's really an apple to oranges comparison.

Most builders I have knowledge of as well as manufacturers do clip the first and last baffles. It "might" cause point of impact (POI) change but I've very rarely if ever heard it affect accuracy. POI changes from no can to with a can are not really an issue. But even with the first and last baffles clipped it still prints the same size group so accuracy is not changed.