30 Cal Form 1 Project

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

SILENCERSTUDENT

Re: 30 Cal Form 1 Project

Post by SILENCERSTUDENT »

Matt in TN wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:35 am
ECCO Machine wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:39 pm
Capt. Link. wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:23 am I haven't heard from Curtis in the longest time hope he is well.I would still be surprised if a clip would yield 5 db but haven't the meter any longer to make measurements.
While it made virtually no difference on rifles,
Clipping at all made no difference on rifles, or changing from the crescent clip like I used to your new clip?

7dB is HUGE!!!
HE meant going from one type of clip to another not no clip at all
SILENCERSTUDENT

Post by SILENCERSTUDENT »

pretty cool build. always love seeing someones hard work. as far as the clipping style u chose, it isnt what i would have done but griffin armament has made that style work so id look at them and how they do it for ideas on how to increase the effectiveness of your choice.
ECCO Machine
Silent But Deadly

Post by ECCO Machine »

Matt in TN wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:35 am Clipping at all made no difference on rifles, or changing from the crescent clip like I used to your new clip?

7dB is HUGE!!!
7dB was the change going from crescent to double radiused.

Unclipped will suppress OK on a .22 rifle, horrible in any other application.
FFL07/02SOT Gunsmith & Machinist
ASI828277

Post by ASI828277 »

Matt in TN wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:04 pm With a lot of help and advice from many here, I just finished my second form 1. This was primarily for 300BLK subs, but I wanted it to do OK with supers and .308 as well. Titanium tube and spacers came from Diversified Machine. End caps and baffles were made from 17-4 and a little 416 (when I ran out of 17-4!). Final specs are 1.625" OD x 8" long, and it weighs in at 21 ounces.

Rear End Cap came first - this was cutting wrench flats with a spin index on the mill:

Then cutting the internal cone shape from 17-4A bar stock:

And the external cone shape:

Alignment notches in the cones (the 3 rings are to remind me these are 416 and need to be in the front):

Clipping the cones:
Thanks