Wall thickness for a reflex suppressor

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

WalkerGHarris

Wall thickness for a reflex suppressor

Post by WalkerGHarris »

Lets try this again! XD

ok so I am working on a 300BLK suppressor but I am limited to an OD of 1.75 and a max length of 7 inches and 2.75 including end cap of that is going to be in the reflex portion of the gun. (yes ik I have very little room to work, just trying to do the best I can.) a what I have seen is a 55k PSI at the blast chamber. but does anyone know the accurate number? Or is there possibly a formula to use for pressure vs volume or surface area to help point towards a certain thickness. so I was thinking a .125 inch thick walls which makes my ID 1.5. at the blast chamber, I was going to have a spacer 1/16 or .063" thick to space the stepped cone off of the reflex attachment which will add to the thickness at the blast chamber

Would that be overkill?

https://imgur.com/a/m8FCbmC
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Re: Wall thickness for a reflex suppressor

Post by John A. »

I see no mention of what material you want to make it out of.

.125" wall is probably twice as thick as it could be, but without knowing whether you're going to use Ti, Al, SS, carbon fiber or whatever makes it impossible to answer.

Further, the pressure is a lot less than that farther away from the chamber you get. Especially with hand loads, you could likely get less than 5k psi at the muzzle (according to quickload)
I don't care what your chart says
WalkerGHarris

Post by WalkerGHarris »

I do not know what material to use yet. I am still working on that. I need advice on that if you have any. I have access to a compound lathe and mill. and can get pretty much any material ordered from work.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

If you don't have a habit of doing mag dumps, destructive testing and just running it as hot as you can, you could get by with aluminum tubing, though I will admit that I am using Titanium tube for a little added strength from heat.
I don't care what your chart says