Re-smithing commercial can ?'s and input

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Overmountain

Re-smithing commercial can ?'s and input

Post by Overmountain »

Hello, I am a long, long, long time lurker, builder of several F1's and now 07/02 maker. Not specifically for suppressors though, so this gets a bit out of my professional depth trying to diagnose. I tried a search and did not find any reference to the make/model I am asking about. In fact there is very little info other than their own in this particular instance. I'm certainly not trying to speak ill of another manufacturer. I can appreciate what they're trying to do, make something workable that anyone can afford.
Some of you guys have had luck reworking designs. Maybe you can help out and give me some ideas before I just hack into them...

So we got these budget suppressors to fill a solicitation request. $ and size were key. I won't say the brand, but you can get a supp and stamp for less than $500. The form factor is great. Sub 22" collapsed, suppressed. I love the look and feel of the initial build. But boy are they loud... 300blk with 30cal can is bare muzzle loud with super (125gr Win white box) and sub (EBR CE 220gr) on 7.5" barrel. 5.56 (Speer 62gr duty) is a little better on 16.5" barrel but the coming build in 5.56 calls for an 11.5" barrel. I put that suppressor at best around a 9mm unsuppressed in sound and "feel." I know at this size only so much is possible. They're advertised to suppress enough to keep operational awareness, and some reviewers even claim hearing safe on a SBR. Especially in 300blk, that certainly isn't the case. I don't have a meter, but at the shooter and back 20 yards at a 45° angle there is almost zero perceptible change from bare muzzle.

Just my 'eyeball guess' on some possible issues: They are tight to bore (0.340") and a 180gr bullet in 30 cal is passing through two baffles and three chambers simultaneously. There is no off axis gas path I can see.They're mine for keeps now anyway, and I can, so I might as well tinker. Any thoughts appreciated. Please refrain from using maker's name if you can guess it as to be polite. But, my review of their product is that they don't work as advertised. (Add the requisite 'if this is in the wrong place, or covered elsewhere etc...' statement here.)

Happy Shooting!
-Eric
Pics:
07/02 FFL
3strucking
Silent Operator

Re: Re-smithing commercial can ?'s and input

Post by 3strucking »

Its a monocore so it is what it is. You would be better off building a new one with cones.
ECCO Machine
Silent But Deadly

Post by ECCO Machine »

As an SOT, it's not like you're invested with the stamp and wait you'd want to preserve as a F4 transferee. Sell them dirt cheap with fill disclosure and build from scratch instead of trying to work within the limitations of a junk tube that's set at length of F2.

And yes, I know what those are. 416 stainless garbage that only moves due to price point with a business model of not worrying about repeat customers. That company has a bunch of unresolved complaints with BBB, too (or at least did when I last looked awhile back).
FFL07/02SOT Gunsmith & Machinist
Overmountain

Post by Overmountain »

@ECCO you are correct. I knew someone would know. I hadn't seen the BBB issues, and have yet to hear back from them. Seemed like cool people. No media I can find that doesn't sound shillish.. I will admit, I drank their kool-aid, at least a little.

I would venture an empty tube would suppress better than either can. The 5.56 upon shooting on an 11.5" upper is likewise more or less nonexistent. Since I own them now, and don't want to pass this on to anyone, even with full disclosure, I will hack them up just for gits and shiggles. I'm tempted to give one away to another SOT if they want to get hands on for cheap, blast one out on a range day, or do comparos etc. They'd work well in the 'this vs that' sort of setting. Worst case scenario, I've got 3 paperweights now.

I will not willingly take money for them though. Just can't in good conscience do so. I know from lurking this is the kind of place where that sentiment resounds.

I feel like I've spent too much energy and time on this already. Thanks for sharing some of yours with me as well...

Happy Shooting,
-Eric
07/02 FFL