Just a little something for fun

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Emperor Harambe

Just a little something for fun

Post by Emperor Harambe »

This seems to be the most active forum for talking about suppressors, so hello to you all. I've been working on a concept I thought of when watching some high speed camera footage of different muzzle brakes, some of them seemed to work so well that nearly all the gas was being directed back. So I got the idea of making a large internal volume can that doesn't add significantly to the overall length of the rifle. Baffle cup designs didn't make any sense in this application so I went with a flow through like what OSS makes.
I don't have any CFD tools yet, so I don't know how well it will work. So for now it's a bit of experimental tinkering.

whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Re: Just a little something for fun

Post by whiterussian1974 »

Yes, it looks really great.

Do you plan to 3D print Titanium powder? I doubt that this could be machined. It's too intricate. (WOW, took me forever to spell that correctly using spellcheck. hahaha)
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
ECCO Machine
Silent But Deadly

Post by ECCO Machine »

Best description for that would be muzzle weight.

Nice design work, but unfortunately, reflex designs are inefficient at best. Put features in the reflex portion that inhibit flow, efficiency is worse still. You'd get more suppression out of a 5" K can.
FFL07/02SOT Gunsmith & Machinist
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

ECCO Machine wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:38 pm Put features in the reflex portion that inhibit flow, efficiency is worse still. You'd get more suppression out of a 5" K can.
I agree. Pressure will take path of least resistance. The gas will exit quickly and only the microseconds in which the bullet is deflecting the gas outward, will yield any gas diversion. Far better to harness the corked gas 4" behind the muzzle to torture and trap in the coaxial space.
The section forward of the muzzle needs diverted and traps sequentially. Each K trapping a portion of the volume before the remainder enters the next section.

Often, simple is best.

Porting the barrel 4" behind the muzzle creates a one-way valve. The high pressure gas forces its way through the slits. Then low pressure expanded gas will struggle to pass back through the slits, to enter the 4" barrel section.
Emperor Harambe

whiterussian1974 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:48 am Porting the barrel 4" behind the muzzle creates a one-way valve. The high pressure gas forces its way through the slits. Then low pressure expanded gas will struggle to pass back through the slits, to enter the 4" barrel section.
Thanks for the input everyone, too much to respond to individually so I'm picking what I'm trying to better understand so I can iterate to something more useful in the real world.
Are you essentially describing the concept of how a bore evacuator works here?
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Yes. Similar form, different function.
Emperor Harambe

Well part of posting here was expecting to learn some things, so I've accomplished that much! What's currently regarded as the most efficient design? K-baffles?
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Different for different applications:
Ks- subsonic
Cones- supers
Then there are exotic styles like Omega, Alpha, coaxial, OSS, etc.
There are other factors to consider for non-machinists, such as: ease of construction, materials, complexity of manufacture, size parameters (volume and length), whether centered or off-bore, reflex or post-muzzle, integral or screw-on, cost, etc.