end cap hole diameters.

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Jakko

end cap hole diameters.

Post by Jakko »

Hi. Going to turn a couple of solvent traps into suppressors as soon as I get my tax stamps. What diameter holes through the end caps do I want for .22, 9mm/38/.357, and .45 ACP/Colt?

I have a drill press I've never used. Is there a better way to get those holes exactly centered? Drilling jigs, or something?

Thanx!
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Re: end cap hole diameters.

Post by whiterussian1974 »

Yes, jigs help. The main issue is how trued the solvent traps are. Then insure that you have PLENTY of clearance.

Traps usually aren't very precisely maintained. Try using the Search function to read how others have answered this question.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

End cap hole clearance is up to accuracy of build, length of suppressor and baffle choice.
I would start with .060 over bullet diameter and go up from there. I would also employ a machinist to put any suppressor together.
You could build a jig that had micro adjustments, but then you would have a machine shop to bore all the passages to be accurate and measure the runout making the jig UN-nessary.
-CL
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Jakko

Post by Jakko »

The baffles in these are one-piece; no idea how they were made, but they are already "bored." The only holes I need to drill are through the end caps.

So, 6/100 inch over bullet diameter? That sounds like a lot, but, OK.

Thanx!
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Jakko wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:54 pm The baffles in these are one-piece; no idea how they were made, but they are already "bored." The only holes I need to drill are through the end caps.

Thanx!
Calibration point: 1960s Venerable Parker Hale MM1 .22 'Snorkel-suppressor had
exit hole 300".
Last edited by Historian on Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3strucking
Silent Operator

Post by 3strucking »

Do yourself a favor and listen to the good Captain and Historian.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

Jakko wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:54 pm The baffles in these are one-piece; no idea how they were made, but they are already "bored." The only holes I need to drill are through the end caps.

Thanx!
It sounds like you have a monocore. If so, they are already MUCH larger than the projectile that you plan to send through them. Having a safely sized endcap won't harm suppression, and will save your build, and possibly your physical safety.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314