9MM Short Suppressor Design

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

spu313

9MM Short Suppressor Design

Post by spu313 »

Hi all,

Posted earlier and deleted after doing more research. Going to be putting together a short 6" D-cell suppressor for my Scorpion Micro. It's as wide as I can accept (1.5" OD) but I wanted to keep it short due to the Scorpion being short. Currently, it is direct thread but I may eventually switch to a 3-lug adaptor.

Form 1 question:
My understanding is that your suppressor can be under the filed length, but not over. Should I add an extra 1.5" to my filing to allow for a eventual 3-lug?

Design question:
I'm trying to keep things basic. The tube I'm using has 5.6 inches of internal room, so I was looking at something like this: 2" blast chamber and 6 Baffle/skirt that measure .6" each. It would look like this: I ==<=<=<=<=<=<= I . The first baffle would protrude about .6 inches into the blast chamber, so the overall length of chamber for 3 lug purposes is 1.4 inches. The last chamber after the baffle is .5 inches - I would be using the MMW skirtless SS cups (.1" thickness at base) with .5" skirts. Is this an acceptable design, or are there major flaws I should be aware of?
spu313

Re: 9MM Short Suppressor Design

Post by spu313 »

Ok so I've been doing a lot of research and have made a (horrid) drawing of my design to try and explain what I'm doing. It looks basically like this: https://imgur.com/a/nGxu5Or

I'm sourcing the 6" D-cell titanium tube from from one company, stainless steel cups from another, and then looking at using an adaptor from mmw to put on a trilug adaptor. All of this is because I want a short suppressor for my micro scorpion.

Is this suppressor design functional?

Should I undersize the spacer a little bit and put in a heat-resistant o-ring at the backend of the stack? I understand that titanium and steel expand at different rates, so I was thinking the o-ring would provide elastic tension. Is this a stupid thought?
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

This would work fine on an AK47, would suck on a 9mm.

You need to use K-baffles to make pistol rds sound quiet.

Additionally, I make drawings with MS Paint also. You made a few labeling mistakes that a drafting lesson from youtube would help correct. And you could have used the "Copy/flip vertical" to make your drawing symmetrical and save time.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
spu313

Post by spu313 »

Thanks! I'll start looking for some K-baffles and doing the math again. I do not have a drill press or other equipment to properly clip K-baffles - if I can clip the 60 degree baffles, would they provide superior suppression to unclipped Ks?
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

spu313 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:47 am Thanks! I'll start looking for some K-baffles and doing the math again. I do not have a drill press or other equipment to properly clip K-baffles - if I can clip the 60 degree baffles, would they provide superior suppression to unclipped Ks?
Go to a local machine shop and have them drill in your presence. Perfectly legal.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
spu313

Post by spu313 »

Thank you! I'll search around to find a good example to show them for what is required.