DeLisle Clone, need some info/knowledge

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

ColdasJones

DeLisle Clone, need some info/knowledge

Post by ColdasJones »

First time poster here. Spent days trying to get solid info and answers to my questions, with no definitive luck yet. In the brainstorm stages of making my own DeLisle Carbine, chambered in .44 magnum instead of .45acp. I’m doing so for increased energy and heavier bullets slung subsonic. I’m working on ideas for the form1 suppressor and have a handful of questions. Background: it’s gonna be a 6-9” barrel i get made custom, and 1:20twist I think. The suppressor will be 2” diameter, and likely 8-10 in long I’m thinking, with the space behind the muzzle as an initial blast chamber and a monocore design for ease of manufacture. I’ll be designing this in CAD and doing some flow analysis once my ideas get sorted.

1. Material. I’ll mostly be shooting heavy subs but want the capability of safely shooting supersonic as well. It’s low velocity gas, and a 2” tube with plenty of length means I’m well exceeding 60 in^3 of volume in there. I think aluminum would be okay for this application, but I’d rather play safe and go a bit stronger. Guys on Reddit recommending titanium and Inconel, which seems excessive. I’m thinking stainless/chromoly baffles, but open to any info. Also, is it okay for the outer sleeve to be aluminum or should it match the baffles?

2. Is there a more efficient design for monocore than others? Does it really matter? Are more smaller baffles better than less bigger ones?

3. should I be porting the barrel to let gas into the initial chamber “behind” the barrel, or will ports going back to it be enough? Noticed Booligan Shooting Sports used stainless mesh/wire to act as flow disruption.

4. Is machining a non concentric monocore tough? Pushing the barrel/plane of bullet upwards in the tube would be beneficial for optics mounting.

5. Any other info/ideas/suggestions? Thanks for the help.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Re: DeLisle Clone, need some info/knowledge

Post by Historian »

A cornucopea of information of DeLisle Carbine builds can be found by
joining WeaponsGuild.com.

Wonderful creative folks who generously share their builds.

Then search for " Topic: Ratatatmans silenced DeLisle No. 5 MK 1 build".

Also << https://weaponsguild.com/forum/index.php?topic=89459.0 >>
DeLisle Build

Keep us updated.

Best.
ColdasJones

Post by ColdasJones »

Historian wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:11 am A cornucopea of information of DeLisle Carbine builds can be found by
joining WeaponsGuild.com.

Wonderful creative folks who generously share their builds.

Then search for " Topic: Ratatatmans silenced DeLisle No. 5 MK 1 build".

Also << https://weaponsguild.com/forum/index.php?topic=89459.0 >>
DeLisle Build

Keep us updated.

Best.
Outstanding, info appreciated. Unfortunately it'll be a while before I get this thing done, dont have any of my tools here in my small condo and its gonna be a long while before I get access to them again. Guess its design work till then.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

I would not build a clone. You can build a lookalike but a copy of that carbine would be disappointing. We have learned so much more and improvements can be made. A .44 carbine based upon the Ruger is workable but if heavy projectiles plus supersonic is contemplated you might conciser .458 socom. The reason is the availability of actions that can be used plus a wider choice of bullet styles and weights available. 270-600gr are available. If you follow the .44 the limit is about 330gr. The choice of barrel twist is way off as 1-11 is considered optimum in .44 special using a 240gr.
The .45 is a very good choice as the standard 230gr packs a punch and the trajectory is not as rainbow like. Rear sights are available in this caliber to meet the ballistics.
I would look up the comments I made to the last inquiry on building a De'Lisle. A offset bore line can be done but much more engineering will go into the project. The original baffles with a internal volume of 40 inches will work fine, 60 is overkill.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895