What did I do wrong?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Crack`r

What did I do wrong?

Post by Crack`r »

Was going thru my gun safe and found my one and only form 1 that I made a while ago from a solvent trap and had put out of sight due to frustration.

This was before I found these forums and hadn't read all that much yet. It was intended for a .22 lr AR and made with a 0.95 i.d. aluminum tube and end caps 6.5" long, and has 9 stainless cones (claimed 60°) with a skirt 0.45" long which is half their total length. The exit chamber is 0.75" long (0.45" of last skirt plus 0.3" recess in end cap) with a spacer up front to create a 1.7" long blast chamber. (Sorry if I use the wrong terms/jargon!)

All cones have a 9/32" hole with the first and last having nothing else done. The rest have an asymmetrical clip made with a small end mill I had laying around that from memory was around 0.15" in diameter that I cut around 0.2" deep. I also tried to align them all (downward) upon assembly.

From the reading I've done since, there are a couple little things I would have done slightly different but I thought it would have turned out OK? However, with bulk .22 lr 1260 fps ammo out of a 16" barrel, it wasn't much different than with it removed.

The only thing I did that I now question some, is that I used a stainless 1/2 x 28 to 5/8 x 20 adapter so it wasn't going into aluminum threads when taking it on/off. I then put the 1/2 x 28 end cap on the exit instead of drilling the solid cap. So the exit is a ~0.5" hole instead of 0.28" but I didn't think that would negate the 9 previous baffles?

Does this seem right? I'm sure it being a solvent trap will get some blame but I've seen them work pretty darn good for others. What could I have done differently? Or does something stand out that I did wrong? I'm hesitant to try again since I'm not understanding why that one did so little?

Any and all comments are greatly appreciated! I'll answer any questions and can draw a diagram if it will help.

Thanks!
3strucking
Silent Operator

Re: What did I do wrong?

Post by 3strucking »

I would change the end cap to one with a .280 bore. Then get yourself some subsonic ammo.