K-Baffles step-by-step

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Re: K-Baffles step-by-step

Post by WhisperFan »

Dusty wrote:How much clearance did you put between your K baffle and the tube?
I make my OD of the baffle 4 thou smaller than the ID of the tube. That gives me .002" on each side.
Sometimes the tube isn't perfectly round, and the baffles will still need to be tapped in place.
As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwilling victims of the darkness.
Justice William O. Douglas
Ethos

Post by Ethos »

nice write up, thanks for all the info, i need to mill the scoops into my k baffles now for my 45 can
joe_crash

Post by joe_crash »

This WOULD be an excellent resource (the post) but sadly, the pictures no longer seem to be available as they were hosted on another server, that apparently is no longer with us. Does anyone have copies of the pictures they could post to make this thread more understandable?
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

joe_crash wrote:This WOULD be an excellent resource (the post) but sadly, the pictures no longer seem to be available as they were hosted on another server, that apparently is no longer with us. Does anyone have copies of the pictures they could post to make this thread more understandable?
Dang nab it! Should have never used that Chappaqua
server. Had the images only been marked SCI then
Putin could be asked to post his copy of the images. :) :) :)
joe_crash

Post by joe_crash »

Did I inadvertently say something dumb? Not up to speed on how this site in particular works with images.,
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

Nah. Historian just beat WhiteRussian to the punch this time in turning a perfectly ordinary annoyance with image hosting inconsistencies into an opportunity for a political joke. I certainly share in the annoyance element; many image hosting sites have a nasty habit of automatically deleting images after some random length of time. Other times it's the fault of the person who uploaded the photographs, either deleting them for whatever reason, or moving them to a different virtual 'golfer's on the same site and rendering the links they posted in the forum null. I choose not to share images on this forum to avoid such issues. If Silencertalk's owner isn't willing to host images internally there's just no reliable means among free image hosting sites to post images otherwise. Many other forums host images, and I'm perfectly comfortable handing over images in such cases.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

A_canadian has astutely grasped my intent.

Those of us who honored our oaths to protect sources and
methods for the safety of our Great Country, and
some even with their lives, recoil at the unpunished corrupt criminal
behavior which lead among many things to the execution
of a high value resource.

Guess honor and duty have devolved into quaint out of date
concepts to be relegated to the retirement home of history
by trailer park trash.
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

Lots of sins get washed clean in those lofty regions of power. Why was Bill Clinton never prosecuted and imprisoned for war crimes in Yugoslavia or elsewhere? Why was the same treatment not rendered against Bush the Junior for his misuse of the 9/11 attacks to justify a completely separate agenda, which resulted in the 'incidental' deaths of hundreds of thousands of civilians? All washed clean... ain't democracy great?
joe_crash

Post by joe_crash »

Yeah ... don't know what the big deal is. I was unaware that the admin of this site isn't storing photos and other media on the forums servers. Seems like a dumb policy, but I am sure they had their reasons, chief among them making sure their own asses are covered. I understand, and empathise, I am in the IT industry myself, and some things are just plain counterintuitive because of liability fears.

I was just pointing out the links were dead, and was hoping maybe someone copied and saved some. Oh well. Canadian guy, did you just call me trailer park trash?

OK, so the consensus is, it's been decided that K baffles are a poor choice for the intended use of this silencer - on a .223 that gets a LOT (or will) of use. OK. What are my alternatives? M baffles? is that it? Seriously? Well, a mono stack would just be incredible, but they are sold out on the site that I was pointed at. They actually looked really good. And the $99 Rebel Silencer for the .22 seemed to be a very, very quiet silencer. Something to keep in mind. OK. Then, since there are no alternatives, or rather, I know of no others, the build will be made from M baffles. Weight, for me,. is not really an issue. Stainless or Aluminium? Hmm ... Since it's going to be on a .223 most of the time, Stainless. OK, now we are rolling! How about the blast chamber, or rather, the first place the hot gasses have a place to expand - going to be stainless for sure, but I do not know of any design considerations. Is it simply a open space before the baffles start?

(For simplicities sake, it's going to be a direct threat mount)
Now, on to the baffles. Mill, Cast, or Press with a hydraulic press. It was pointed out that in this case, a male form has to be made to form the baffle over. And no, I do not think wood, of any kind, is a good idea, esp. if you are forming them with a 20 ton press.
OK, everyone put on their beanie caps, and think what else this silencer NEEDS?! (Besides a made up serial - even though not STRICTLY needed since we built this by ourselves, but it's just easier to explain to a law enforcement person is that it was a special run or something, that is why the serial is so weird.
What else everyone!
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

joe_crash wrote:Canadian guy, did you just call me trailer park trash?
Um, nope. An IT guy doesn't notice who called someone trailer trash? It's good to pay attention to minor details like who calls who what, though in this case it seems Historian was calling Hillary trailer trash... though I may have misunderstood his intention:
Historian wrote:Guess honor and duty have devolved into quaint out of date
concepts to be relegated to the retirement home of history
by trailer park trash.
=========================
joe_crash wrote:And the $99 Rebel Silencer for the .22 seemed to be a very, very quiet silencer.
Not sure where you heard that it's very, very quiet. Seemed kinda loud to me in their videos, and most videos (a terrible way to compare, I know) tend to make most silencers sound really good.

You may want to start a thread of your own to discuss particulars of your potential F1 build, as this thread was intended to be regarding K baffle making, not alternatives and shopping around. But I'm still not calling you names! Just sayin'! :D
joe_crash

Post by joe_crash »

Canadian - No, thanks for calling me out on highjacking the thread! Sorry everyone, I just got a bit excited! I'm going to spin this off into a build thread, from filling out the form 1, to creating the trust to register it under, to filling out oodles of paper work for a jack booted agency that seems to be populated by thugs. And give them $200 to pass go, and not go to jail. Wait, that sounds like the Clinton Foundation, selling access to the State Department. . (Monopoly - get out of jail? For $200, that would be quite the bargain these days, lol) with design considerations, material selection, and making it as inexpensively as I can, as I am on SSDI disability, and getting pulsed magnetic coil energy pumped into my head, which during treatment is basically immobilized so that the energy is hitting the right spot. Funny - there are side effects from the treatment. Apparently pumping all that energy into patients heads makes erections the most common physical side effect during the treatment, while women orgasm. Me? I go to sleep. Every single time. Weird!

Thanks!
Joe
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

joe_crash wrote:Canadian - No, thanks for calling me out on highjacking the thread! Sorry everyone, I just got a bit excited! I'm going to spin this off into a build thread, from filling out the form 1, to creating the trust to register it under, to filling out oodles of paper work for a jack booted agency that seems to be populated by thugs. And give them $200 to pass go, and not go to jail. Wait, that sounds like the Clinton Foundation, selling access to the State Department. . (Monopoly - get out of jail? For $200, that would be quite the bargain these days, lol) with design considerations, material selection, and making it as inexpensively as I can, as I am on SSDI disability, and getting pulsed magnetic coil energy pumped into my head, which during treatment is basically immobilized so that the energy is hitting the right spot. Funny - there are side effects from the treatment. Apparently pumping all that energy into patients heads makes erections the most common physical side effect during the treatment, while women orgasm. Me? I go to sleep. Every single time. Weird!

Thanks!
Joe
Wonderful sense of humor and excellent delivery!

My "corrupt trailer park trash" = "Clintonians".

No aspersions on trailer park dwellers .. especially to my departed LV sibling. :) :)

Must resist inflicting my bile on dishonorable political behavior on my brethren.
Apologies.

As Dick Culver used to say at the range: "Better to shoot your mouth off
than your foot". :)

Whew.

And who said with age comes wisdom.
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

Historian wrote: And who said with age comes wisdom.
Not sure, but at a guess I'd say it was some old guy trying to win points with a younger woman and hoping no one would ask for proof. Though perhaps we develop slightly less tendency to shoot ourselves in the feet...
joe_crash

Post by joe_crash »

I thought the Rebel silencer was pretty quiet as well. Perceived sound levels can vary so much just by where the camera person is standing, which mic is used to record the sound, etc. I'd like to see a side by side comparison with a decibel level meter, that would be the only way to objectively compare any silencer to another model. And the $99 price tag is a steal - you can't even beat that making one with the cups and solvent trap adapter silencers one sees just about everywhere these days. Heck, you can buy them on Amazon, for heavens sake. And yeah, I"m sure they are all being used as solvent traps, and not felony sound suppressors.

I am sort of confused about the Form 1. It's disappointing to me that I have to decide on a design before I pay them and make it final. Leaves no real way to experiment. I guess you'd need to get a SOT license (stamp?) for that. I read somewhere that the number of companies making silencers has quadrupled in the past 2 years. I believe it! Well, I'm going to do some reading of other peoples home growns, maybe I can figure out a way to make a M baffle with my handy Harbor Freight 20 ton press. They rock for cheap tools! (notice I said cheap, not inexpensive. Which they are)
Langfinger

Post by Langfinger »

@whisperfan: could you please upload the pics of the first post again? Would love the see how you machined the K baffles.
Thanks and sorry for digging up the old thread.
Vuxy51

Post by Vuxy51 »

Does anyone have @whisperfan's pictures from page 1 of this post?
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

WOW ... talk about a blast from the past .... someone asked me to update the links to the photos.

Don't judge me on my 15-year-old tooling and machines :lol:

I have a full-sized mill and a proper angle table now

Anyway ... K-baffles are pretty much obsolete I think. I believe most folks now much prefer a mono-core - but for someone just starting out, they are easy and forgiving.
As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwilling victims of the darkness.
Justice William O. Douglas
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

WhisperFan wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:49 am
Anyway ... K-baffles are pretty much obsolete I think. I believe most folks now much prefer a mono-core - but for someone just starting out, they are easy and forgiving.
You wound us with the thought ...:D...
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
quiet458

Post by quiet458 »

What monocore will outperform k baffles?
nube
Silent Operator

Post by nube »

well done
Great thread