Air Rifle Suppressor

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Air Rifle Suppressor

Post by Capt. Link. »

Whats the legality of building a air rifle suppressor. Found some packing material that should be ideal.
-CL
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
mr fixit
Silent But Deadly

Re: Air Rifle Suppressor

Post by mr fixit »

My understanding is that suppressors for air rifles are ok, if there is no way of attachment to a regular firearm. Not sure where I heard that.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

mr fixit wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:46 pm My understanding is that suppressors for air rifles are ok, if there is no way of attachment to a regular firearm. Not sure where I heard that.
That was my impression as well but I'm seeing air guns threaded 1/2x20 and suppressors being sold as separate items for them.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
Racing

Post by Racing »

New member, first post.

I fool around a bit with PCP rifles too and as I mainly use them for pesting close quarters "back yard friendly" is of essence.
Since long I live over in viking land where suppressors now adays are legal as long as you possess the rifle or handgun in case.
No tax stamps, no permits needed.

I mainly ( read - only) use small caliber PCPs as i've got powder burners to handle the heavier tasks.

Run a couple of 25cals basically souped up to around the 100fpe mark at will. In short on par with a 22lr gun, and thus approx equal needs as far as suppressor just sans a first "fire chamber".

As many others i've arrived on that length and amount of chambers is of greater importance than diameter for these less powerful jobbies but that said the other parameters for a build is about on par.

What has shown tho is a couple of specific things.
Yes, I build all of my own moderators/suppressors, for the PCP's mainly out of aluminium.
Chambers use wadding wrapped around a perforated piece of rolled tube and due that what's more feature "de-pressure porting for chamber No1. It turned out that a series of 1.5mm holes ( 4 rows of 6 holes, 24 in total) handled spiken well and the Bark of the gun went down accordingly.
Currently working on both a 4 chamber and 6 chamber setup.

6 chamber is rather long but.. works extremely well. Turning the bark down to a level where you as the shooter mainly hear the hammer n spring upon firing.

Working on PCP's you soon realize that taming the thing starts with making sure the thing is sealed up. Often Times something many seems to forget.
Something as simple as a worn probe seal, and mind you this is a wear item.

As for the US and "lead dust collector" I believe what's written above holds very true.
At the moment the feds are down the throat of DonnyFL like there's no tomorrow.

On my own count next two projects will be powder burners.
First up an Anschutz 1415/1416 followed by one for our beloved 6.5*55 Swede. The latter for a Sauer STR.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

I have been looking into it and don't desire any friction on this matter. I have devised a method that should meet the requirements. The old perforated spool idea has been stillborn since inception but a packed suppressor works well and long lived without powder fouling. A copy of the old AWC Archangel using smooth cones interlaced with packing material should do the deed. Looking forward to some quiet pest control with a air SBR.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Good Captain, the simplest and most efficient Airgun Suppressor
seen in mid 1960s in UK was the small run Parker Hale MM1,
I.D. ¾" , ~6"+, ½" x 20TPI.. Black speckle baked paint.

KISS principle at its finest.

All specs as accurate from distant memories.
ID measured by dropping US penny into tube ... ¾".

Jokingly christened it 'The Snorkel". No smile from PH
manager. It was also mentioned in Paulson's
Bible'.

Machined from a solid stock of aluminum and had only one front end cap.

Its ingenious simple novelty was to have a 3/10" ID tube pointing
back into the can about ⅔ way back - a snorkel.

Maximum fast fas expansion, slow discharge.
It could also be used on .22 LR but it needed some 'Choir-Girl-like' filler.

KISS design to consider would be two end caps, front one having hollow tube facing back
and a tube with threads at each end of course.

Keep referring to. Paulson's book where similar design was used
in South African CR21 two piece suppressor for their BullPup.
First large chamber beefed up 'MM1' snorkel,as described above.
The front 'CAP' was another chamber with a baffle'.

Have tediously chronicled the PH MM1 over the past but it seems its
simplicity needs to be repeated to preserve its design for future designers.

Like the esteemed Mike Lindell ..."My Pillow" ads:
...My Quiet-Can.com. :) :) :)