.458 SOCOM

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

CSC Machine

.458 SOCOM

Post by CSC Machine »

I am a class 07 shop and waiting on my SOT 2 to be sent back to me. My question is about a design for a .458 SOCOM. I have searched the forum for any info and it seems the search function is not working at the moment. I have plenty of raw stock and was planning on the following:

1.5" OD Titanium Tubing, I have grade 2 available with a .050" wall (is Grade 2 used very often?)
Internals will be 416 stainless (I have tons of it) that will be heat treated to C40 and then ground to the final dimension

I know the round is considered a low-pressure round, so was considering a threaded assembly to allow easier cleaning. I think going with 24tpi internal would allow a decent lock up.

As for basic design, I am open to suggestions and advice. I think the stepped cone design would be easier to machine, although I have been looking at K baffles as well but getting hung up on the end cap designs. Also, to ensure the safety of the rear end cap and minimize the expansion and thread disengagement issue, I was thinking a 2-inch-long sleeve of stainless, another .050" wall, welded to the rear of the body tube.

Am I headed in the right direction, or do I need to rethink this?
CSC Machine

Re: .458 SOCOM

Post by CSC Machine »

OK, skip the grade 2 Titanium, not going to work.

Have noticed that not lot of people using 416 stainless, why? Thats barrel grade stainless and can be made hard as hell if that what you want, Easy to machine, does not cost a ton, what's not to like?
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

CP-2 is pure Ti and certainly can be used for a low pressure build though alloys are more common. Don't over think this smooth ported cones close spaced will do the deed. Bells and whistles rarely add suppression and often make it worse.

Only quiet suppressors are interesting?
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
CSC Machine

Post by CSC Machine »

Smooth cones, close spaced at say .375"-.5" skirts? That may help cut down some of the chatter on the small OD boring bar I need to use to reach inside the cone, so I'll take that advice, thanks!.
While I understand everyone wanting the corrosion resistance of 17-4, Inconel, etc. but they screw the suppressor onto a barrel made of 416, or CM steel and it suffers as much or more abuse (throat erosion) during firing as a suppressor, so why the dissimilar materials? If a barrel can last for thousands of rounds before it gets truly shot out, why not use the same material? Just curious, so if I am missing something please point me in the right direction.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

CSC Machine wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:54 am Smooth cones, close spaced at say .375"-.5" skirts? That may help cut down some of the chatter on the small OD boring bar I need to use to reach inside the cone, so I'll take that advice, thanks!.
While I understand everyone wanting the corrosion resistance of 17-4, Inconel, etc. but they screw the suppressor onto a barrel made of 416, or CM steel and it suffers as much or more abuse (throat erosion) during firing as a suppressor, so why the dissimilar materials? If a barrel can last for thousands of rounds before it gets truly shot out, why not use the same material? Just curious, so if I am missing something please point me in the right direction.
As you are licensed I would use straight cones and various length spacers until you find the sweet spot in spacing. Velocity is the major factor in either close spaced or not. Use enough baffles as only a few will not work. I like 416 but it must be heat treated or it will bleed rust. Heating it to the Currie point is sufficient. The pressures are low in 458 and shooting out a barrel without full auto w/ suppressor may be difficult. Using a can will accelerate muzzle crown wear though not quickly.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895