12 gauge Shotgun suppressor ideas.

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

12 gauge Shotgun suppressor ideas.

Post by LavaRed »

Hello everybody. As you know I have recently been experimenting with shotguns. However, I am intrigued as to how I may suppress a single shot, 12 gauge shotgun. Therefore, I would like to ask for your help and input.

Namely:
1) Is it better to do an integral or a screw-on suppressor?
2) How long should the barrel be, at minimum, before the suppressor?
3) What kind of baffles are most suitable?
4) Does the suppressor require a ported barrel extension to run its full length, because of pellet dispersion?
5) Can anyone provide pictures or schematics of previous designs?

Thank you very much,
LavaRed
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
Crosshair
Silent But Deadly

Re: 12 gauge Shotgun suppressor ideas.

Post by Crosshair »

4) Does the suppressor require a ported barrel extension to run its full length, because of pellet dispersion?
My guess would be "probably". I can't find the it now, but there was a Youtube video that happened to have a lot of high-speed shots of shotguns and the shot cup opened up rather quickly once exiting the muzzle.
"I'm not afraid of dying. I's HOW I die that I'm concerned about." - Crosshair

"Beware the man with one gun. He probably doesn't know how to use it."
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

I can't find it, but there are some pics on photobucket that I think ranb posted, and there is a MS paint of a integral single shot
"I notice that everybody that is pro-abortion already has been born."
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq-XG3tn7s0
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

I designed a shotgun can, but I have no good way to port a barrel. A drill bit will not do. I might have my 20 gauge barrel ported someday and make a can for it.

Ranb
SilencerTalk was a place I could disccuss making registered silencers without being told I was a criminal. That is no longer true. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=99273
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

Thats the picture I was trying to find. I want to try it with a .410
"I notice that everybody that is pro-abortion already has been born."
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq-XG3tn7s0
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

I don't have the patent # but there is a company in CA.that has a design that is worth looking at.You may look up the patent on free patents online it is also listed in the NR Parker book.Shotgun cans are tough due to low pressure and large bore and then the whole shot cup thing.Best of luck always look forward to your posts.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

Capt. Link. wrote:I don't have the patent # but there is a company in CA.that has a design that is worth looking at.You may look up the patent on free patents online it is also listed in the NR Parker book.Shotgun cans are tough due to low pressure and large bore and then the whole shot cup thing.Best of luck always look forward to your posts.
Is Ops Inc the one you're talking about? IIRC that guy has a patent on a shotgun suppressor.
sitsinhedges

Post by sitsinhedges »

ranb wrote:I designed a shotgun can, but I have no good way to port a barrel. A drill bit will not do. I might have my 20 gauge barrel ported someday and make a can for it.

Ranb
Why wont a normal drill port your barrel? I have done mine without a problem and used a deburring tool around the inside of the hole to clean it up.
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

I found that the edge left when drilling the hole was too much. I was not able to deburr a 1/8th inch hole.

Ranb
SilencerTalk was a place I could disccuss making registered silencers without being told I was a criminal. That is no longer true. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=99273
hotbrass
Silent Operator

Post by hotbrass »

Its a shotgun barrel. You just lap it a few times and whatever thin burr is left inside the hole will not be protruding into the bore and will be blown or burned out after a few shots.
mx201er
Silent But Deadly

Post by mx201er »

the question is how many ports can you drill, and how close, without compromising the structural integrity of the barrel?
"If you are mad as hell and aren't going to take it anymore, grab your rifle and head outside.
If you're the only dumbass with a rifle screaming like a maniac, go back inside. It isn't time yet."
sitsinhedges

Post by sitsinhedges »

mx201er wrote:the question is how many ports can you drill, and how close, without compromising the structural integrity of the barrel?
Well the Hushpower types we have in the UK have 5 pairs of 5mm holes at 50mm centres beginning at 250mm from the breech up to 450mm then at 500mm a row of four holes at 15mm centres that end 120mm from the muzzle. This is for a 20g o/u. The .410 just has 5 pairs of 4mm holes starting 240mm from the breech at 50mm centres. All the powder should be burnt by the time the shot passes the porting. The burrs are removed with a curved blade pen type deburring tool that goes into the hole and scoops the burrs away from outside. There is no need to put anything inside the outer tube or to divide it into compartments. These guns also have baffles past the muzzle for 100-150mm.
andy h

Post by andy h »

Here is the website of the manufacturer/distributer here in England , see if you can glean any info there.

http://www.saddleryandgunroom.co.uk/Gun ... hpower.htm
darkelement07

Post by darkelement07 »

I understand how to port the barrel. My question is how do you mount the can over the barrel? What piece do you need? Where can you find the materials needed?

If anyone has any additional info please let me know.
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

darkelement07 wrote:I understand how to port the barrel. My question is how do you mount the can over the barrel? What piece do you need? Where can you find the materials needed?

If anyone has any additional info please let me know.
Silver-solder a steel rear endcap to the rear of the barrel, then screw on the rest of the suppressor to that.
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
one-eyed Jack
Silent Operator

Post by one-eyed Jack »

I ported a 20 ga 28" single bbl shotgun with 88 .44" dia. holes. The full length aluminum tube is 2.5 in. O.D., .125 wall. Between the bbl and the tube are st. st. and aluminum mesh. I run it wet using 10% water soluble cutting oil and tap water. This combination cools the gases well. There is a cap at both ends and the end of the bbl is theaded for a nut to draw the whole assembly together. It's 20 yrs old now, easy to take apart and clean, very quiet and always draws a crowd at the range. Jack.
johnnylawn

Post by johnnylawn »

I was thinking about this too, its nice how it has come up. I want to design a 12 ga. too.

Should be all ported and sectioned off into large chambers? Would K's or cones work toward the muzzle?

If K's could work, I think it might be helpful. I just think the cup will start to expand once into the suppressor portion of the can.

Anyone else?

Also, I saw the WinLite - loads have a velocity of 980 fps. I think these might be helpful too.

Thoughts?
one-eyed Jack
Silent Operator

Post by one-eyed Jack »

I would not use baffles. You want the shot and wad to be contained all the way to the end of the bbl. The wet packing is amazingly effective. A can on the end is just a Hollywood thing. Jack.
one-eyed Jack
Silent Operator

Post by one-eyed Jack »

I would not use baffles. You want the shot and wad to be contained all the way to the end of the bbl. The wet packing is amazingly effective. A can on the end is just a Hollywood thing. Jack.
johnnylawn

Post by johnnylawn »

Thanks for the input. My plan was to do a 2-point mount. 2 3/4" Stainless tube mounted near the barrel lug on a fixed mount with a step cut into it for centering. The other point will be at the muzzle where another fixed piece the (I.D. of the stainless). The suppressor would slide over the front mount and thread on or set screw to the rear mount. The original barrel would stay to length and be ported. At the muzzle is where I would start the k's or cones.

I was looking at the patents online and noticed a cone type baffle set up. My concern is with the wad opening to early.
driver6814
Silent But Deadly

Post by driver6814 »

I want to put a silencer on my 870. To do this;

I want to use a METRO barrel, threaded for Remchoke. The Metro tube already has some porting, I would of course add more, cut to length, add end caps and an outer tube.

This way I would have a removable silencer that could be used on any remington. I can also use the other threaded end cut short as a thread protector.

Metro barrels are cheap on GB. I have alot more ideas on this, But you get the gist, I hope
hotbrass
Silent Operator

Post by hotbrass »

If your going to use a Metro tube it will be silent enough without spending a bunch to make a suppressor out of it.
one-eyed Jack
Silent Operator

Post by one-eyed Jack »

You can build a very effective suppressed shotgun like mine for short money. For all you need to know, go to Northeastshooters.com, register for free, look up one-eyed Jack, find " All threads started by one-eyed Jack" and go to my 9-18-08 post - "prototype suppressed shotgun". There will be all the details and pics. Mine is very quiet ( think .22 short). Your results may vary. Do it legally, of course. Jack.
BeerWolf
Silent Operator

Post by BeerWolf »

one-eyed Jack wrote:You can build a very effective suppressed shotgun like mine for short money. For all you need to know, go to Northeastshooters.com, register for free, look up one-eyed Jack, find " All threads started by one-eyed Jack" and go to my 9-18-08 post - "prototype suppressed shotgun". There will be all the details and pics. Mine is very quiet ( think .22 short). Your results may vary. Do it legally, of course. Jack.
Or here's a direct link, but you still need to register to see the pictures:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulle ... ed-Shotgun
Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you got 'til it's gone?