How many folks still build?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

mr fixit
Silent But Deadly

How many folks still build?

Post by mr fixit »

Just curious, although I never got into the solvent trap kits or buying cups or parts of any kind. It looks like most if not all of those type builds have gone away. I'm genuinely curious how many folks are still building from scratch? and how many folks have decided not to build at all?
3strucking
Silent Operator

Re: How many folks still build?

Post by 3strucking »

I am going to file a few form 1's in the near future. I will try and post some pics once I get the stamp and get started.
mr fixit
Silent But Deadly

Post by mr fixit »

I have a few in the plans too. Looking to do a 308 integral bolt action to use with a thermal scope. Also really wanting to set up my Ruger Mk2 with a can, along with the 10/22.
3strucking
Silent Operator

Post by 3strucking »

Another spam post.
mr fixit
Silent But Deadly

Post by mr fixit »

Got it. I"m working on cleaning things up
3strucking
Silent Operator

Post by 3strucking »

Thanks for taking the time to get rid of them. Hopefully others will see this and come back and start posting again.
flareside_ford

Post by flareside_ford »

I was here quite awhile back with a plan that I was gonna build but circumstances changed. I am now planning to submit some forms for builds soon.
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

I started making form 1 silencers as a hobby twenty years ago. It has been a few years since my last build, but I've got four forms to finish now that I'm retired
SilencerTalk was a place I could disccuss making registered silencers without being told I was a criminal. That is no longer true. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=99273
mr fixit
Silent But Deadly

Post by mr fixit »

ranb wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:08 pm I started making form 1 silencers as a hobby twenty years ago. It has been a few years since my last build, but I've got four forms to finish now that I'm retired
Glad to see you again here. I've read lots of your posts and watched videos. Congratulations on the retirement! Makes you wonder how you ever had time to do anything doesnt it?
Matt in TN
Silent Operator

Post by Matt in TN »

I'm starting my 3rd now. 22LR was first, then 30 cal. Now 9mm. All from scratch with lathe and mill. Fun stuff, and I learn a lot along the way!
22: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=138952
30: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=156481
9: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=696697
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

It is good to be retired. A couple of things lead to me being less active in the gun forms and shooting in general. The KRRC in Bremerton was finally closed for the most part when the country would not issue a use permit and sued us over noise and land use permits. I was also chased off of a few forums for my outspoken criticism of Trump's anti-gun actions and statements.

When we could no longer use firearms at the KRRC, we instead started training our junior rifle team with precision air rifles. This made me less active with guns and silencers since 2015. I spend part of the year in Minnesota now. Silencer are legal here now. I have a spot on my land to shoot and a 300 yard rifle range about 15 miles away.
SilencerTalk was a place I could disccuss making registered silencers without being told I was a criminal. That is no longer true. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=99273
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Nice to see some old great builders posting.
I would like to build some more in the future. Still can't figure if a roll of toilet paper is constructive intent these days.
A integral is what I like best. Quiet accurate and compact. As most of us know its difficult to screw up a .22 unless you try very hard. As I prefer rifles a simplistic suppressor is all that is needed. I may dust off the old straight eight as it works well for low velocity gases a longer barrel will deliver. I generally make barrels 8-10" long and port them for velocity control. Barrels are thinned to around .375 and held under tension. A two or three pound trigger makes for a sweet pest control rig that is light enough for us old timers.

I would encourage all of the experienced builders to help the novice ones as its been along time since we had non "kit" suppressors made. Kiss applies to all builds big and small.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
FromSaltWeCome

Post by FromSaltWeCome »

Capt. Link. wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:30 pm Nice to see some old great builders posting.
I would like to build some more in the future. Still can't figure if a roll of toilet paper is constructive intent these days.
A integral is what I like best. Quiet accurate and compact. As most of us know its difficult to screw up a .22 unless you try very hard. As I prefer rifles a simplistic suppressor is all that is needed. I may dust off the old straight eight as it works well for low velocity gases a longer barrel will deliver. I generally make barrels 8-10" long and port them for velocity control. Barrels are thinned to around .375 and held under tension. A two or three pound trigger makes for a sweet pest control rig that is light enough for us old timers.

I would encourage all of the experienced builders to help the novice ones as its been along time since we had non "kit" suppressors made. Kiss applies to all builds big and small.
Here, have a lawyer's interpretation on Constructive Intent in the context of the NFA. I hope it helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOg0ZJ7MyRU
Rrdstarr

Post by Rrdstarr »

Aluminum K baffles I made on CNC Lathe worked great for subsonic .22 and air rifles. Probably made 15 or so suppressors. Been about 8 years since I have made any.

Wondering if Carbon fibre tube would be acceptable for above applications. Was using .035 walled aluminum tube before.
No longer residing in the US of A.
Retired US Army Special Forces
zeusizme

Post by zeusizme »

It’s nice to see that the trash is being taken out here so that the wealth of knowledge can be spread again. The ease of the solvent trap builds caused a lot of laziness in the community I think. I don’t like the idea of everyone using the same baffle design anyway. The only thing I’m bummed about is missing out on radial baffles. I would have liked to build a 9mm can with them. I’m only a hobbyist so cutting radials on my lathe is not something I think I could accomplish without developing a drinking habit. Unless someone has some pointers on how to cut them. I’ve thought about repurposing wood router bits into form cutters for the inside of the cone. The outside wouldn’t be hard with a radius cutting tool though.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Radial baffles can be made with some thought. Using a piece of tool steel made into a form tool will work if the setup is stiff enough.Stacking HSS bits side by side into a form tool would be better. Best would be making or buying a radius tool.The radius tool would put far less strain on a hobby sized lathe. Other methods range from stamping to hydro-forming or spinning.
https://www.silencertalk.com/forum/view ... 10&t=65774
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
CMV
Silent But Deadly

Post by CMV »

I'm getting ready to start on my final build (I think so anyway). 2 rimfire, 9, 556, & 30 cal built so far. No solvent traps or freeze plugs were harmed in the making of my stuff :)

After this build is complete, debating getting rid of the lathe, milling machine, blast cabinet, etc & reclaiming my garage for actually parking cars.... I have everything I want that I can Form-1. Anything else on my "I'd like to have one of those..." list needs a form 4

If it wasn't for all Pat's (& others here, but 99% Pat) help, I'd have stopped halfway thru my first rimfire build and just went the form 4 route :)
--------------------------------------

"Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes"
"This board is currently disabled"
These things make me :(
milsurpcollector1970

Post by milsurpcollector1970 »

I built one from scratch, K baffle for a 45ACP SBR. Works pretty well for 9mm and 300 black as well.

Finished it in May of last year. Its a heavy sucker all stainless.

This board was a great help

I am in the planning stages now for a reflex for a M12 Mod 0 clone .223

and one for 22 rimfire not sure what to do first.
daviscustom
Silent But Deadly

Post by daviscustom »

This is the first time I have been back on the forum in several years. It used to be a place you could have an ongoing intelligent discussion. Once a form 1 builder, always a form 1 builder. I have been sidetracked for several years, but I still have paperwork on a 9mm and 30 cal can to dive into someday. Hoping I won't have to retire to get to them, but I do have a large remodel project that has me tied down for a awhile yet.

I scratch build, no solvent trap stuff.
The myopic majority will be our republic's undoing.
Enigma88

Post by Enigma88 »

I just got my first form 1 approved for a .30 cal build that I will only be using with subsonics on a 7.5" 300 blackout upper. I also got my SBR approved! They came back quickly I was so surprised.

I've been lurking on here for a while trying to learn. I have a metal lathe and have been making aluminum lightsaber hilts for my friends which have been great practice. Single-point threading internal and external is no problem now. Some of the parts that arrived to hold LEDs were a weird custom thread (diameter was metric, tpi was imperial) and I learned to match it. I also added a VSD and electronic leadscrew from Clough42 so I can do whatever threads I want with the push of a button. No more change gears!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CmPwZiAXcyg466K88
https://photos.app.goo.gl/tmKnNuMgrJL9Lef17

Thank you all for the information!!