300 win mag can

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Re: 300 win mag can

Post by delta9mda »

iirc, i have 7 baffles, you have 6. other than that looks the same.
NP
John R

Post by John R »

For 223-308 do you think six is oK? Can I send you the cad file for you to review?
John R

Post by John R »

Friday I was shooting with some guys from Miami. Do you ever come up to Manatee and shoot out to 1,000 yrds?
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

6 could/ can work. there are oal and spacing variables.
NP
joemac

Post by joemac »

delta9mda wrote:i was told the can had a poi shift of 4". ill get more details of this in the morning and report back.
Did you ever get any more info on the POI shift? I'm curious as to what that was and if it had anything to do with the can design.

I finally got my Solidworks working again so I spent the last couple hours roughing up my first can concept. One thing I didn't see in this thread was the thickness of the outer tube and the thread pitch you used. I'm interested mostly because you threaded into it and must have used a fine pitch if it wasn't very thick. Did you just have the tube slightly thicker on the outside where it was threaded? I'll probably end up purchasing a 0.12 thick SS tube and machine down everywhere that isn't threaded to 0.065 and use a thread pitch of 28 so the tooth depth will only be about 0.022.

Joe
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

joemac wrote:
delta9mda wrote:i was told the can had a poi shift of 4". ill get more details of this in the morning and report back.
Did you ever get any more info on the POI shift? I'm curious as to what that was and if it had anything to do with the can design.

I finally got my Solidworks working again so I spent the last couple hours roughing up my first can concept. One thing I didn't see in this thread was the thickness of the outer tube and the thread pitch you used. I'm interested mostly because you threaded into it and must have used a fine pitch if it wasn't very thick. Did you just have the tube slightly thicker on the outside where it was threaded? I'll probably end up purchasing a 0.12 thick SS tube and machine down everywhere that isn't threaded to 0.065 and use a thread pitch of 28 so the tooth depth will only be about 0.022.

Joe
The design is the culprit for the POI shift and .065" tubing is fine for the full length of rifle cans and you don't need as fine a tpi either.
joemac

Post by joemac »

What design changes could help reduce or eliminate the shift? I'm guessing it's a shift down from reduced muzzle velocity or something like that.

Thanks for the tube and thread info.

Joe
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

why would there be any reduction in velocity? if anything the bullet goes faster (free bore boost). the gas is still contained and pushing on the bullet that is no longer in the barrel.

did not experiment to find out poi with the 300wm setup. ill ask the maker if he had to adjust much (if at all) for the can.

i can say that i dont remember any adjustments to compensate for the can on that day.

poi s--t is simply because you are now hanging a weight on the end of the gun.
NP
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

delta9mda wrote:why would there be any reduction in velocity? if anything the bullet goes faster (free bore boost). the gas is still contained and pushing on the bullet that is no longer in the barrel.

did not experiment to find out poi with the 300wm setup. ill ask the maker if he had to adjust much (if at all) for the can.

i can say that i dont remember any adjustments to compensate for the can on that day.

4" of POI shift is pretty extreme, something is wrong with the setup.
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

Bendersquint wrote:
delta9mda wrote:why would there be any reduction in velocity? if anything the bullet goes faster (free bore boost). the gas is still contained and pushing on the bullet that is no longer in the barrel.

4" of POI shift is pretty extreme, something is wrong with the setup.
i think i was mistaken with the 4" thing.

NP
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

delta9mda wrote:weight of the can is in the hood of 2.5-3 lbs.
O.o Typo? If not a typo, 4" POI wouldn't surprise me at all.

Looks good regarding manufacturing, but um.... Not for me I guess (extreme understatement).
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

este wrote:
delta9mda wrote:weight of the can is in the hood of 2.5-3 lbs.
O.o Typo? If not a typo, 4" POI wouldn't surprise me at all.

Looks good regarding manufacturing, but um.... Not for me I guess (extreme understatement).
I hope thats not an accurate weight, if it is shame on you Delta, it should weigh half that if not 1/3 that!
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

sorry bros for the day i had access to it i didnt bring a scale with me nor sound meter gear and we didnt shoot for shift. can on or off regardless the gun shoots.
NP
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

delta9mda wrote:sorry bros for the day i had access to it i didnt bring a scale with me nor sound meter gear and we didnt shoot for shift. can on or off regardless the gun shoots.
Thats pretty vague statement.

Can off or can on the gun will shoot with a Red Jacket suppressor as well....give your boy a call and have him weigh it.
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

in progress.
NP
nbw123

Post by nbw123 »

delta9mda wrote:iirc, i have 7 baffles, you have 6. other than that looks the same.
Delta9
I have followed your posts while waiting for my first Form 1 to arrive which happened yesterday. I'm a mechanical engineer by education and have some experience with manual lathes and mills. I just bought a Smithy lathe/mill combo and plan to build a .308 can based on your stepped cone design using 7 baffles. I want to make the can 10" long from 1.5" OD stainless. Do you have any recommendations such as:

Minimum wall thickness of blast baffle and remaining baffles?

Bore diameter?

Thread recommendation for end cap?

Welded stack or pressed in?

Thanks for the help.

NBW123
dollar298

Post by dollar298 »

It's been awhile since there was any update. Any word on the exact weight and poi shift?
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

im waiting on numbers, its deer season so there may be no recreational shooting any time soon ;)

as far as the weight i have stated already it is over built (the maker wanted to be sure no grenade action would take place).
NP
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

Bump for awesomeness
NP
MMH
Senior Silent Operator

Post by MMH »

tag...
sizulku
Silent Operator

Post by sizulku »

Any updates?
john.t.little1
Silent But Deadly

Post by john.t.little1 »

Delta why didn't you use stellite on this can…..
"A man is known by the silence he keeps. - Oliver Herford"
"Gunpowder, treason and plot. I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot..."
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

john.t.little1 wrote:Delta why didn't you use stellite on this can…..
smh
NP
sdcc633

Post by sdcc633 »

Are you guys willing to share design dwgs?
john.t.little1
Silent But Deadly

Post by john.t.little1 »

sdcc633 wrote:Are you guys willing to share design dwgs?
Yes find the completed build thread plenty of can in it have specs and if you still can't come up with specs read more threads and post your own thread with specific questions Bc after reading you'll know enough to ask the right ones. Sorry for the ass hole response but your first post shouldn't be asking for a handout in my opinion.
"A man is known by the silence he keeps. - Oliver Herford"
"Gunpowder, treason and plot. I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot..."