300 win mag can

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Re: 300 win mag can

Post by delta9mda »

Paul, i will see the can and the owner this week for some rodent and predator control at 800+ yards.

im bringing my camera. as Samson said, the mic on the camera will clip out etc but i will have killer vids to satisfy you.
NP
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

i have been told that there is no hearing protection worn ever when shooting the 300 win mag.

its a 338 size can with a bore for .30 cal and about 3 feet in front of the shooter so its comfortable.
NP
PaulNoiseLess
Silent But Deadly

Post by PaulNoiseLess »

Hi Delta,

Thanks, I’d love to watch a good video on this one.

This one is by far the most compact Can I’ve seen (form 1) for a big bore like .300WM. To be honest with you, I’m considering to copy & paste.

Best,

Paul
The future is not waiting for us, it is waiting within us ...
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

its actually kinda large (diameter) compared to any 300mag can. its what the builder wanted so i helped.
NP
PaulNoiseLess
Silent But Deadly

Post by PaulNoiseLess »

Hi,

Probably yes, but being so short (i read 10 inches) going lower diameter can end up with same volume just increasing little bit the length.

I’m just waiting for the new Video to start sketching up :wink: :wink: :wink:

Best,

Paul
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

Paul, there is more than enough info here for you to copy my can :mrgreen:
NP
PaulNoiseLess
Silent But Deadly

Post by PaulNoiseLess »

Hi,

Yes, I know (and got it all already, thanks) but before copy & paste (with some mods) I just prefer to confirm performance after you record and post a good Video.

Thanks again. I like this Can but not sure "yet" about performance.

Hope it's soon :P :P :P :P

Thanks Delta !

Best,

Paul
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

what are you not sure of. the shooter is shooting full power and hot 300 win mag loads with no hearing protection.

a few days and ill have vids for you along side non-suppressed 308.
NP
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

was busy playing to i only have a few vids. suppressed vs non-suppressed

not sure what it would really meter with the can but it is very comfortable, no ringing no wincing nothing.

NP
gpm

Post by gpm »

I'm new to all of this! been doing alot of reading here though. Would this be the ideal size & design for a 25-06 bolt action? But I've seen where some people
did not think we need the steps on the inside of the cone? Your thought's would be helpful.
D_TROS

Post by D_TROS »

Good stuff delta. Good stuff.

It has really got me considering more baffles for my 338 can. But on other hand I want to keep weight down.

Is there really a point of diminishing returns with number of baffles you cram into a can? suppression wise...

regards,
DT
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

yes there is and then there is the spacing question.
NP
Acadiana_Machine

Post by Acadiana_Machine »

Last edited by Acadiana_Machine on Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

gotta love the cnc lathe!
NP
Enfield577
Silent But Deadly

Post by Enfield577 »

delta9mda wrote:gotta love the cnc lathe!

Makes life too easy :lol:
Of all the things I've lost it's my mind I miss the most
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

fixed it bro
NP
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

in-case anyone forgot
NP
epicdoom
Silent But Deadly

Post by epicdoom »

looks awesome love step cones easy to duplicate part to part manualy. Of course CNC makes life easy but then all machinest would be overweight and out of shape. Nothing wrong with some good old fashion hard work, certianly makes the work day go by faster.
Nice can Delta maybe do one like that for my 270 eventually. knock down the recoil on it and I could use it to teach my wife to shoot some long guns.

Joe
It's truely amazing what the mind can conceive and prompt the hands to create <---Mine..
Semper Fi
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

Joe, i already helped another member here with .270 for deer. hes waiting on form1 return.
NP
epicdoom
Silent But Deadly

Post by epicdoom »

I will need to wait for my state to allow supressors before I could hunt with it, rite now they dont allow them for hunting. I hope that changes as it would make folks a bit more at ease with less noise from shots in the area. Maybe even help to get permission on some land where the owner doesn't want to be disturbed by loud gunfire. I think it could be an issue with poaching but its not legal to do that anyhow and still lots of morons still do it I dont think a suppressors will make it easier since there is still gonna be noise. Think if I decided to poach I'd lay and wait covered in leaves rite on the trail and knife my game. Ultimate Rush and most of all fairly quiet. Hell I could do it in peoples front yards that way. LOL Maryland stinks for getting laws passed so I doubt it will come to pass here. I Mean you have to be killed 13 times and reserected just to get an interview for a concealed carry permit here. the Neighboring states can get it just by attending a class. I can attend the class held here im my state but still doesn't amount to beans unless like I said, you been killed 13 times. Im totally blown away that Maryland even allows supressors to be owned here. Laws are like Locks only made to keep honest folks honest period.

Joe
It's truely amazing what the mind can conceive and prompt the hands to create <---Mine..
Semper Fi
bowhunterslodge

Post by bowhunterslodge »

sweet as... :D
joemac

Post by joemac »

delta9mda wrote:here is a basic 3d section of the can

Delta, what are the holes inside the can that are in the light blue threaded piece in the blast chamber? Do those go all the way through or do they serve another purpose?

As you may have gathered by my post count, i'm new here. I'm in the early stages of designing my first cans. I'm hopefully going to make two multi-caliber cans... one for .40/9mm and one for .308/.223.

Is this baffle design patented or not? I like the design, especially for machinability. My work has a 3 axis CNC machine and a manual lathe. I could probably make the baffles on a lathe, but since it's all manual, would probably take too long and be less accurate. I'm thinking of ways to machine these baffles on a 3 axis mill and believe I could do it with just 2 part positions and a special clamp.

On a side note (and maybe this is better suited for it's own topic) I was thinking about a way to calculate a blast chamber volume and wall thickness based on maximum barrel pressure. Basically, we can know within a given range what a given rounds maximum pressure will be once fired, take that maximum pressure, maybe assume it's constant over the entire volume of the barrel to make the calc simpler, and then add the volume of the blast chamber to see what reduction in pressure will ensue. It won't take into account any shock waves, but with that given pressure, you could figure the hoop stress of the blast chamber and that'll give you the wall thickness for a given material.

Your thoughts

Joe
gun_hh

Post by gun_hh »

Hi Delta,

very nice can!

Same as joemac I am to produce a multi-caliber can .308/.223. This would be my second series, first to be seen here:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=83876&start=25

I gave some technical drawings for k-baffles to my CNC machinist, but can still change them within the next 2 weeks.
Would you recommend your baffles for .308 as well. While using a muzzle brake what do you think about the first buffle
made of steel and the others of aluminum? In my first series all baffles were made of alu and that worked well, no pressure
signs so far...

Thanks for help!
John R

Post by John R »

Hi Delta,
I am new to the forum. Do you mind if I use your drawing to model?
Thanks,
John
John R

Post by John R »

Hi Delta,
Thanks for letting me use your pic. Here is the first draw

John R
Last edited by John R on Sun May 20, 2012 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.