New 300 AAC Blackout rifle and can build

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

thinwater

New 300 AAC Blackout rifle and can build

Post by thinwater »

I made the rifle from a Tactical Machining 80% lower that I did on my Bridgeport. I made all of the suppressor parts on my manuel lathe. The can is 303 Stainless, press fit then welded. It is super quiet with 220 gr subsonic rounds and not much different with Corbon 300 Whisper full power rounds. Image

I made the can for a full size .308 so it is a little long for this rifle. I will make a smaller one next week.

thinwater

Re: New 300 AAC Blackout rifle and can build

Post by thinwater »

This is the .308 the suppressor normally goes on. It is a prototype I made several months ago. The upper and lower are an Armilite style fit. It uses Magpull P mags made for the DPMS. With the can it is a little over gassed. I am going to put on an adjustable gas block and tune it down some for suppressed use.

vz58
Silent Operator

Post by vz58 »

Nice!! I assume the baffles are laid out as installed?
thinwater

Post by thinwater »

They are in the correct order but some of the M baffles with built in spacers were turned over for the picture to show that they were not just a spacer.
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

so you mixed k and m baffles? why did you not run all k or all m?
NP
vz58
Silent Operator

Post by vz58 »

And which is the orientation you used. How is it on 7.62x51? Is the m baffle a squared up hole on the inside? You have done what i am wanting to do as soon as i have my stamps. More pics of the baffles if you have them. Why did you weld instead of thread?

Inquiring minds want to know.
thinwater

Post by thinwater »

vz58 wrote:And which is the orientation you used. How is it on 7.62x51? Is the m baffle a squared up hole on the inside? You have done what i am wanting to do as soon as i have my stamps. More pics of the baffles if you have them. Why did you weld instead of thread?

Inquiring minds want to know.
This is the layout (Seee photo)Image. The mount slips over the barrel 4" and is vented around the threaded part to make it an expansion chamber. After the gasses enter the first spacer, they slam into the M baffle face. This pressurizes the spacer area and expansion chamber. Then they go into a K, another M with expansion, another K and so on.

No "Reason" to make it like this other than I wanted to see how it would work. I have made better and worse. This one worked well enough to keep.

I welded it because it was easier and faster than threading the .065" wall tube. I have several I threaded also.
thinwater

Post by thinwater »

delta9mda wrote:so you mixed k and m baffles? why did you not run all k or all m?
Just playing, as usual. All K work better but make more of a mess of the rifle. I have a few monolithic .22 designs I am machining now. Just having fun playing with them. A friend of mine has some really neat crystaline metal mesh like matrix that he is going to waterjet cut and try out as a packing based baffle material. It is to hard to cut with a milling machine and is as heat resistant as inconol per the manufacturer. If this works out it would make some really neat cans.
vz58
Silent Operator

Post by vz58 »

Thanks! If you were to do it again what would you change?
thinwater

Post by thinwater »

vz58 wrote:Thanks! If you were to do it again what would you change?
I am going to do it again :) and will make a 6" all K can for the 300 Blackout so I can put this back on the .308. Future cans will be all stainless, no bigger than needed and all welded. If one goes bad I will cut it apart to examine, throw away and make another the same day to replace it. I love suppressors but never get to attached to any one because I can replace it in a couple of hours.

I have been trying to figure out if I can improve on my 5.56 cans. They are 8" long, 1.5" OD, all welded stainless full of K baffles. The K baffles suck to cut on my cnc lathe because they flex as the thickness gets where I want it. I think i can address this by cutting the outside of the V part first, center drilling then using a 60 degree cutter to remove the inside material. If this is faster I might knock out a few dozen K's in .223 and .308 for future builds.
Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wicked »

Very nice.

Are you in the States?
https://www.facebook.com/wickedweapons
thinwater

Post by thinwater »

Wicked wrote:Very nice.

Are you in the States?
Sunny FL, 07/SOT
Trex
Silent But Deadly

Post by Trex »

as usual with your work Thin, very nice. Seen discussions here prior regarding mixing M and K baffles and now you have done it you are one of those who knows what results.

Monolithic .22 cores are endless fun to play with, hope to see what results,