12" barreled ar-15 upper w/o sbr.

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

ranb
Silent But Deadly

12" barreled ar-15 upper w/o sbr.

Post by ranb »

I bought an SSK ar-15 upper in 300 whisper ten years ago. I want to chop the barrel from 18" to 12". The gas port is about 6" from the breach. As WA does not yet allow civilian possession of SBR's registered after July 1, 1994, I want to weld a shroud to the barrel that extends it to 16.25".

A 12" barrel should still function properly right? A 1.75 x 11.5 steel tube welded to the barrel will just allow my 1.625" form 1 can to fit inside. The free floating hand guard will fit over the barrel tube.

I am thinking of tacking the tube to the barrel for a permanent attachment but something I can take off with a grinder in the future if I need to. Any suggestions?

Ranb
SilencerTalk was a place I could disccuss making registered silencers without being told I was a criminal. That is no longer true. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=99273
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: 12" barreled ar-15 upper w/o sbr.

Post by Bendersquint »

ranb wrote:I bought an SSK ar-15 upper in 300 whisper ten years ago. I want to chop the barrel from 18" to 12". The gas port is about 6" from the breach. As WA does not yet allow civilian possession of SBR's registered after July 1, 1994, I want to weld a shroud to the barrel that extends it to 16.25".

A 12" barrel should still function properly right? A 1.75 x 11.5 steel tube welded to the barrel will just allow my 1.625" form 1 can to fit inside. The free floating hand guard will fit over the barrel tube.

I am thinking of tacking the tube to the barrel for a permanent attachment but something I can take off with a grinder in the future if I need to. Any suggestions?

Ranb
Can't tack it in place, have to do a full weld, or pin and bead of weld over it.
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

Blind pin it is then.

Ranb
SilencerTalk was a place I could disccuss making registered silencers without being told I was a criminal. That is no longer true. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=99273
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

ranb wrote:Blind pin it is then.

Ranb
There you go! :wink:
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

ranb wrote: Any suggestions?
Move to Idaho!!!
"I notice that everybody that is pro-abortion already has been born."
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq-XG3tn7s0
zekebluetick

Post by zekebluetick »

I did the exact same thing with an AR-15 dedicated .22 upper that I built. full weld around the back of the
berrel and the centering colllar by the muzzle. then I milled vent holes all around the shroud to lighten it
up a bit, it really looks nice. with my suppressor installed it only adds 2.5 in. to the over all length of the gun.
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

Bowen1911 wrote:Move to Idaho!!!
That was the plan back in 1999. But by the time I retired in 2003 from the Navy, I had a house, a job offer in WA and was getting married for a second time. It was easier to stay in the rut I was in than to start new again. I was in Idaho Falls for 6 months back in 1984. I enjoyed it alot even though I did not have any guns then.

Ranb
Ander254

Post by Ander254 »

zekebluetick wrote:I did the exact same thing with an AR-15 dedicated .22 upper that I built. full weld around the back of the
berrel and the centering colllar by the muzzle. then I milled vent holes all around the shroud to lighten it
up a bit, it really looks nice. with my suppressor installed it only adds 2.5 in. to the over all length of the gun.
Got any pics?
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

ranb wrote:A 12" barrel should still function properly right?
Are you loading yourself?

Using A1680 in a subsonic load, I know 300 whisper/blackout is designed around 9" barrels . . . shouldn't have a problem with a 12"
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

I load my own.

Ranb