Previously good suppressor extremely loud on rifle HELP

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Previously good suppressor extremely loud on rifle HELP

Post by LavaRed »

So I finally finished a .22LR suppressed rifle build that I will soon unveil. However, when I tested it with the same suppressor that I have used with my Beretta 70 pistol always, it sounded extremely loud. There's practically no difference between it suppressed and unsuppressed. This was a surprise to me, as on the Beretta it has been very quiet always. The rifle barrel is 16.5" long, and I was shooting .22LR HV Concorde hollow-points, but I was also testing it at 6 feet indoors, so that supersonic flight noise shouldn't have been a problem. When removing it and shooting it on the Beretta, it sounds like a pellet gun again. So I don't know what gives. Is my suppressor really that crappy? Or does the difference between HV and SV really that big beyond supersonic flight noise on a rifle? Does this mean I'll really need to buy Eley match ammo (The only SV available down here) even for 15 feet backyard plinking?

Thanks,
Lava
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Re: Previously good suppressor extremely loud on rifle HELP

Post by Historian »

LavaRed wrote:So I finally finished a .22LR suppressed rifle build that I will soon unveil. However, when I tested it with the same suppressor that I have used with my Beretta 70 pistol always, it sounded extremely loud. There's practically no difference between it suppressed and unsuppressed. This was a surprise to me, as on the Beretta it has been very quiet always. The rifle barrel is 16.5" long, and I was shooting .22LR HV Concorde hollow-points, but I was also testing it at 6 feet indoors, so that supersonic flight noise shouldn't have been a problem. When removing it and shooting it on the Beretta, it sounds like a pellet gun again. So I don't know what gives. Is my suppressor really that crappy? Or does the difference between HV and SV really that big beyond supersonic flight noise on a rifle? Does this mean I'll really need to buy Eley match ammo (The only SV available down here) even for 15 feet backyard plinking?

Thanks,
Lava
Lava,
I may be way out in left (yuck!) field but a .22 reaches its maximum velocity in your 16" barrel
so you can calculate the reduced speed out of the pistol barrel. I know when I shoot my H&R M65 .22 I get a maximum
percussion. The 5.5" M41 barrel is perceived quieter. I am looking forward what others here who
have deeper knowledge respond with.

Best.
wolf
Silent But Deadly

Post by wolf »

Out of the riffle barrel , the velocity is most likely supersonic
inside you will get the full effect of that crack , it might be short in duration compared to outside , but it will be there

all noise will reflect back from the walls

IF you can do it safely , find a OPEN place and shoot it (almost)straight up in the air

that should do away with the sonic crack (nothing to reflect it back to you )
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

The velocity of the bullet may be different but so is the velocity and pressure of the gases.they are both higher in the pistol.I know that many suppressors are more quiet on pistols over rifles with other factors being the same.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Enfield577
Silent But Deadly

Post by Enfield577 »

Capt. Link. wrote:The velocity of the bullet may be different but so is the velocity and pressure of the gases.they are both higher in the pistol.I know that many suppressors are more quiet on pistols over rifles with other factors being the same.
Yep mine work the same, it works well on both but is I guess around 10-15% better on a pistol
Of all the things I've lost it's my mind I miss the most
pnl2012
Senior Silent Operator

Post by pnl2012 »

Hi LavaRed,

How thick are the Barrels (both Pistol & Rifle) ?. Is the Material the same (ie. Same SS alloy) ?

Paul
daviscustom
Silent But Deadly

Post by daviscustom »

There isn't a lot of difference in the sound level of the supersonic crack and the normal sound a 22 rifle makes....standard velocity or subsonic ammo will likely make a big difference.....and shooting indoors will amplify the perceived noise level.

The ammo you are using probably stays subsonic in the pistol because of the shorter barrel.
The myopic majority will be our republic's undoing.
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

I hadn't thought of that (subsonic crack being reflected indoors). I'll test shooting upwards from a deserted location and post results.

The beretta's barrel is 3.5" long and 1/2" thick. The rifle barrel is 7/8" thick and 16.5" long. Unknown alloys.

Historian, I didn't know that a .22LR bullet reached maximum speed in a 16" barrel. That'll be most useful. Do you think that Eley Match Standard Velocity will stay subsonic in te 16" barrel?

Thanks,
Lava
MV10
Silent But Deadly

Post by MV10 »

wolf wrote:IF you can do it safely , find a OPEN place and shoot it (almost)straight up in the air

Shooting it as straight up as possible is the safest -- at most it will fall with terminal velocity which isn't going to do you any harm if it hits you. Shooting at any angle is very unsafe, as it can retain significant (deadly) velocity over great distances.

As for reflections -- doesn't the supersonic shockwave expand spherically, which would mean it should reflect off the ground for a straight-up shot?
Modern American political discourse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpAOwJvTOio
wolf
Silent But Deadly

Post by wolf »

MV10 wrote:
wolf wrote:IF you can do it safely , find a OPEN place and shoot it (almost)straight up in the air

Shooting it as straight up as possible is the safest -- at most it will fall with terminal velocity which isn't going to do you any harm if it hits you. Shooting at any angle is very unsafe, as it can retain significant (deadly) velocity over great distances.

As for reflections -- doesn't the supersonic shockwave expand spherically, which would mean it should reflect off the ground for a straight-up shot?
nope :wink: we had that in another thread , its cone shaped , cant go backwards
Trex
Silent But Deadly

Post by Trex »

Quote lava
Or does the difference between HV and SV really that big beyond supersonic flight noise on a rifle? Does this mean I'll really need to buy Eley match ammo (The only SV available down here)
using the high velocity ammo in the rifle barrel it will be going supersonic. I think you will have to try the Eley Match for decent results on a rifle barrel if no subsonic ammo available.

Most of the rimfire match ammo is subsonic and the difference between that and proper subsonic ammo is not huge whereas the noise difference between standard velocity and high velocity ammo is much much more noticeble, if it worked well on the pistol it should work as well on the rifle (if not better) assuming you can reduce the bullet velocity.
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

Tested the rifle today. Shooting vertically upwards completely eliminates supersonic crack, and the sound was akin to a spring-powered pellet gun.
will be posting more on this later on :) .
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

LavaRed wrote:Tested the rifle today. Shooting vertically upwards completely eliminates supersonic crack, and the sound was akin to a spring-powered pellet gun.
will be posting more on this later on :) .
Best advice for a good friend as you doing this: DUCK! :)

The funniest thing often occurrs in the Middle East where happy
souls fire their AK's in the air to celebrate weddings, etc, much
as Sad-HAM Hussein did. The bullets that came crashing down
took out members in the crowd. As a good-ole boy remarked:
"It was a thigh slapper funny watching them R#$H@#$s whacked by their
own stupidity."