Caught a Tuna today.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

silencertalk
Site Admin

Caught a Tuna today.

Post by silencertalk »

Today was a great day. Got up at 4am. It was in the 80s which felt perfect being on the ocean. Little wind, and clear. Caught a Tuna that was 61 inches long. The guys with me caught and released several Stripped Bass and Bluefish. I saw so many whales that it was probably over 100.

The Tuna took maybe an hour to reel in. It was rather difficult.

Omega_556
Silent But Deadly

Post by Omega_556 »

Nice tuna...

:shock: Where is your life preserver?
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I did not know I was going in advance so I did not have it in my car. I am bringing my fly rod next time and pray I hook a Bass and not a Tuna.
flip
Elite Member

Post by flip »

I see many tuna steaks in your future. Nice catch.
pdemos
Elite Member

Post by pdemos »

Awesome, I'll bet there's gonna be some tuna sandwiches for awhile. That looks like a blue, all we get on the west coast is albacore but there all good.
BWT
Silent But Deadly

Post by BWT »

Some of us have jobs, and some of us design suppressors, shoot MG's, and go on fishing trips all day. :lol:

Hahaha, great catch. I bet it's nice to be out there. Sometimes the silence, the calm of the ocean and water really, the vast expanse out, easy to forget about the petty crap we argue about here.
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

Hey, that's a smile. I seen it.
BWT wrote:Some of us have jobs, and some of us design suppressors, shoot MG's, and go on fishing trips all day. :lol:

Hahaha, great catch. I bet it's nice to be out there. Sometimes the silence, the calm of the ocean and water really, the vast expanse out, easy to forget about the petty crap we argue about here.
Not uh, assdick!
BWT
Silent But Deadly

Post by BWT »

Twinsen wrote:Hey, that's a smile. I seen it.
BWT wrote:Some of us have jobs, and some of us design suppressors, shoot MG's, and go on fishing trips all day. :lol:

Not uh, assdick!
I love you. :lol:

I almost pointed out, it looks like... Oh my god... We've got a photo of I think Robert Smiling.

If we get a video of him laughing... There's no telling.
pdemos
Elite Member

Post by pdemos »

Isn't that the truth, :lol: those fricking pricks !
Poacher
Elite Industry Professional

Post by Poacher »

Nice catch!

I would try to find a way to freeze it so it doesn't turn dark on you. I have read that there is a way but it would probably take a proffesional packing company.

As far as the smile....it is logical to smile after catching a tuna like that!
"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."-- Vince Lombardi

Director of Training & Special Initiatives
Nighthawk Custom
[email protected]
877-268-4867
BWT
Silent But Deadly

Post by BWT »

Poacher wrote:Nice catch!

I would try to find a way to freeze it so it doesn't turn dark on you. I have read that there is a way but it would probably take a proffesional packing company.

As far as the smile....it is logical to smile after catching a tuna like that!
I think he smiles, he just doesn't smile for photos.

I think the forum just loves giving him hell about it.

:lol:
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I value the benefit of a smile. I don't appreciate them in photos. When I look at what I consider a good photo of someone, them smiling or not does not register with me one way or the other.

For example, that photo I took of Andrew with the Stripped Bass I think is a great photo for what it is (pose with fish photo). He is not smiling. It does not make it less of a great photo in my opinion. I like it how it is, and in fact that is why I pushed the shutter release.
paco ramirez
Silent But Deadly

Post by paco ramirez »

Great fish. I still haven't gotten my fishing license yet. I will be posting my trophies as soon as I catch them, but they won't be that big :shock:
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

MA does not require a license for fishing in the ocean.
paco ramirez
Silent But Deadly

Post by paco ramirez »

rsilvers wrote:MA does not require a license for fishing in the ocean.
I wish CA was like that. I like fishing off the pier in the bay by using a my bait pole to bob some bait up and down while walking along the pier, hoping to disturb some fish that will bite the bait because of an intruder in its "area". I did this in Alaska and caught a baby Ling Cod (~18") off a 20 foot dock into an inlet with a little piece of salmon. I like to fish, but I don't eat seafood. I just give the fishes away when I catch them. When I see cooked tuna steaks they look really deep red in the center. Is that considered cooked "rare" or is it normal?
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Red is rare and that is normal for fresh Tuna.
TheSkrich
Silent Operator

Post by TheSkrich »

MMMmmmMMmmm Sushi....
flip
Elite Member

Post by flip »

I'm gettin ahi for lunch damnit.
Poacher

Post by Poacher »

flip wrote:I'm gettin ahi for lunch damnit.
No kiddin this post has got me craving some fresh tuna, I may have to hit the shushi bar this weekend!
"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."-- Vince Lombardi

Nighthawk Custom
[email protected]
877-268-4867
Poacher

Post by Poacher »

paco ramirez wrote:
rsilvers wrote:MA does not require a license for fishing in the ocean.
I wish CA was like that. I like fishing off the pier in the bay by using a my bait pole to bob some bait up and down while walking along the pier, hoping to disturb some fish that will bite the bait because of an intruder in its "area". I did this in Alaska and caught a baby Ling Cod (~18") off a 20 foot dock into an inlet with a little piece of salmon. I like to fish, but I don't eat seafood. I just give the fishes away when I catch them. When I see cooked tuna steaks they look really deep red in the center. Is that considered cooked "rare" or is it normal?
Paco,
I waited way to long in my life before a tried fresh tuna, do yourself a favor and go try it now so you won't miss out on years of good eats! If you like beef filet you will like fresh seared tuna.

Nighthawk Custom
[email protected]
877-268-4867
cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by cyclone72 »

You gonna make some sushi from it?On a side note about sushi,I have learned that fresh is not best because it needs to sit in the freezer/fridge,at a certain temp. for 3 days to kill off bacteria,the main drawback is that it makes the sushi look a bit different ,there is one chef who freezes them to 71 below and claims that the fish comes out looking better and fresher.I say this becasue I almost made my own tuna sashimi and sushi but Iwas gonna use fresh caught or buy from a store.

Great catch Silvers.(Lucky S.O.B.)
Cheesehead

Post by Cheesehead »

Great Tuna.
I have eaten tuna right of of the fillet knife before. It should be bled out and iced in seawater immediately. If kept very cold from catch to the house it is possible to freeze it in a bag full of water and still be in good shape for quite a while. This will work for blackfin and yellowfin around here anyway.
Keep up the good work!
seacoastnh
Elite Member

Post by seacoastnh »

Northwest corner of stellwagon?
hatidua

Post by hatidua »

rsilvers wrote: For example, that photo I took of Andrew with the Stripped Bass I think is a great photo for what it is (pose with fish photo). He is not smiling.
Have him look at the fish, not the camera :wink: